Rhino liner vynil top

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
has anyone ever had the idea to use rhino liner bed liner for a vinyl top?

My car does not have a vinyl top available for it but I was thinking of ways I could simulate a vinyl top or something textured and duller black than the paint.

Back in the day (I love to say that) lol. My white 65 Dart had a aftermarket spray on black vinyl top. It had about the same texture.

It looked like this:

Attachments

• DSC_0100.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,040
My white 65 Dart had a aftermarket spray on black vinyl top. It had about the same texture.

I didn't know there is a such thing as a spray on vynil top .....I was thinking of that for the coronet wagon because I wanted to break up the color a bit since the wood grain is gone now. I don't really like the two tone paint idea because that seems more 50s or too foosey.

A vinyl top was never made for such a large top.

I would check with a LINE-X Dealer... Stuff dries is 5-10 seconds so it will be a much finer textured surface that will sparkle in the sun. Rhino liner tends to be very clumpy because of slow dry times

I would check with a LINE-X Dealer... Stuff dries is 5-10 seconds so it will be a much finer textured surface that will sparkle in the sun. Rhino liner tends to be very clumpy because of slow dry times

That and being watered based it will also chalk out over time.

I did a 72 duster half vinyl in the same mate black as the hood with the sassy grass main color. I still used the Chrome strips to separate the two colors. People thought it looked good and would want to touch it to believe it.

You might want to check with Rhino or Line X. I think they have a product with more UV protection.

You are correct, you won't find a vinyl top in a catalog for your wagon.
Tops can be made for it though.
I have made and installed more than I can remember for long roofs
such as limousines. They are custom fit. They are much more difficult since they are padded.
Your wagon would not use padding if keeping it the way it was done in 68.
This makes the install much easier and can be done by most enthusiasts that are
hands on if careful. Getting the seams located proper and straight is the most
challenging part that makes or breaks a good job. Those would be some long seams.
Finding a shop that will make your top is the hard part. They would need to be local
so your wagon could be used to make the pattern since there is none.
There is a chance you could measure the distance between the seams on a b-body to get
a reference or start.
Painting a simulated top on would likely be a lower cost and easier plan for you but if you
did want a real top it could be done if you didn't mind the extra effort needed getting one custom made.

You are correct, you won't find a vinyl top in a catalog for your wagon.
Tops can be made for it though.
I have made and installed more than I can remember for long roofs
such as limousines. They are custom fit. They are much more difficult since they are padded.
Your wagon would not use padding if keeping it the way it was done in 68.
This makes the install much easier and can be done by most enthusiasts that are
hands on if careful. Getting the seams located proper and straight is the most
challenging part that makes or breaks a good job. Those would be some long seams.
Finding a shop that will make your top is the hard part. They would need to be local
so your wagon could be used to make the pattern since there is none.
There is a chance you could measure the distance between the seams on a b-body to get
a reference or start.
Painting a simulated top on would likely be a lower cost and easier plan for you but if you
did want a real top it could be done if you didn't mind the extra effort needed getting one custom made.

This! Find a good shop and get a vinyl top made. Shortcuts on a car that cool would be a really bad thing. Check out other options.

Rani, that's a pretty good idea. It would certainly be permanent as long as it was prepped right.

I know for sure that SOMEBODY made at least one vinyl top for a wagon. Years back, early 90s? there was a 71 Satellite wagon in a salvage yard, gold with black vinyl roof. I couldn't believe it, never saw a wagon with a vinyl top before or since. Had to walk over and check it out. Somebody had cut both aprons out of the car, so no fender tag. What blew my mind was the other parts I was able to pull. AM/FM radio. Tuff wheel. Rallye gauge cluster with tach. 383 HP manifolds. Would have loved to buy the whole car, but the yard owner would not sell whole vehicles. Had to have been an ordered car, definitely one of one.

Rani, pure personal experience here, I rented a shop slot to this guy... '60 Ford short box F100 body,swapped on a '78 250 frame. I rented him a slot, he did good metalwork. He decided to Rhino line the whole truck,inside/outside. It needed three rounds ,to get the "blueberry color" right... The stuff was so thick, he had to grind into his new product..Grinding, & blueberry dust,all over my shop, I still can't stop laughing. Well anyway, the truck has set 6 year round seasons, still strong.

Here is a thread I started awhile back and some suggestions...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=291020

I just repair the rust and put sealer on it for now.
I was leaning toward hammer tone paint like on draginmopars car.
View attachment 1714840945

Hammer tone paint, is my favorite.. Industrial looking, no "flat black....", It doesn't lay " down smooth", really cool if you like something different..Still different, and easier to use.. (Also whizzes most "purists"... Lol.

I have a rhino bed liner in my truck. it is 20 years old and the UV is changing the color and texture, have had a cap on it the whole time. so the light thru the glass is enough to change it.

I have seen several paint on textured tops BACK IN THE DAY...............LOL on cars that didn't have a vinyl top but owners wanted the look.

I would say this would be the best option for your wagon. Texture paint it the color of your choice.

-
Back