RHS head to Magnum crate.

-

ratbastad

Reaction score
Hey guys I have an opportunity to buy this engine with super low mileage :

Blueprint engines Chrysler 408 ci stroker motor.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint+Engines/138/BPC4080CTC/10002/-1

The questions I have are:

i. Does anyone know these engines? Reliability/quality, 1st hand exp?
ii. Will a set of RHS LA heads bolt to this block and oil thru the deck like
a STD SB ? If not can the block be modded to oil thru the deck like a
STD SB when using the RHS LA heads?

I'm not interested in running the Magnum RHS head as I already have all the valvetrain pieces I need to run the RHS LA head and don't want to spend the $$$ twice.

Any input would be much appreciated thanx !!

Rat

block:
# Seasoned 360 LA Style block
# Square and parallel decked
# Align honed main bearing bore
# Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
# Cylinders honed on a computer controlled machine to within .0002'' straightness and roundness

the ad says it is a seasoned LA block........

Correct, Its a LA block with a flat tappet cam, not a Magnum with a Hyd roller. Bolt on what ever heads you would like.

Damn, I missed that haha/...must be the lack of sleep haha !!

Is a Magnum block classified as something else other than "Magnum"? As you can tell, I havent played with the Mag stuff at all lol...

Thanx !!

Rat

The one pictured in the ad is a Magnum, but the description says LA. Just be sure what you're buying is an LA based engine. I THINK I read that the Magnum block can be drilled to oil through the deck, but if it can be done I'm sure a complete tear down & trip to a machine shop would be necessary.

The one pictured in the ad is a Magnum, but the description says LA. Just be sure what you're buying is an LA based engine. I THINK I read that the Magnum block can be drilled to oil through the deck, but if it can be done I'm sure a complete tear down & trip to a machine shop would be necessary.

the one in the picture has magnum heads...

but the block has LA timing chain cover/water pump and has a mechanical fuel pump...

so i dont know how you say it is a magnum block....

i dont have xray eyes anymore...i gave the glasses back went i retired from area 51....

so i can only go with what i see with my reading glasses these days...

I'm not interested in running the Magnum RHS head as I already have all the valvetrain pieces I need to run the RHS LA head and don't want to spend the $$$ twice.

Rat

I don't know how all of them are but I do remember a member here (Woody-something??) having problems with his. If I remember right he said it had a lot of blow by as soon as they installed it. The big problem was he bought it and had it setting around for 3-4 yrs. before they installed it so Blueprint wouldn't warranty it. When they tore it down they found it had pistons that required 5/32" rings but had 1/16" rings so they were loose and flopping around. Seems like he said there was another problem but I don't remember what it was.

As to what block series they are, here's a link to Blueprint's website that shows the engine.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/chrysler-bpc4080ct

It doesn't say what block they use, just that it's a seasoned block. Since the engine is painted black it's not real easy to tell but it looks to me like an LA block cause I only see the LA motor mount ears. Magnum's have another set of mounting pads for trucks. My guess is they probably use whatever block they have available that day so it could be either.

the ad does say...

Block:

""Seasoned 360 LA Style block"""""
Square and parallel decked
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
Cylinders honed on a computer controlled machine to within .0002'' straightness and roundness

5/64 ring instead of 1/16??????

the ad does say...

Block:

""Seasoned 360 LA Style block"""""
Square and parallel decked
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
Cylinders honed on a computer controlled machine to within .0002'' straightness and roundness

5/64 ring instead of 1/16??????

It says LA block on the JEGS ad but on the Blueprint web page it just says seasoned 360 block.

It had 1/16" rings instead of 5/64"... That's why they were loose in the ring groove. Sorry I mis-typed earlier and said 5/32" rings when it should have been 5/64" rings.

i have one of these...it is for 100% for sure a LA 360 block, with a set of magnum heads, as clearly stated on their website...i've liked mine so far as it dyno'd at 400 instead of the 375 base they give, and made 480 ft lbs over the 460 base....as far as blow by, i had a little too at first, but i've come to blame this on the cheap mexican made oil caps the cast aluminum valve covers it came with, i switched to PCV style breathers (plumbed to nothing) and it helped..may even run a breather can this year...but i've had several chrysler smallblocks behave the same way..and also never had a set of cast alum v covers seal perfectly....so imo, good motor, the quality issues you hear nightmares about were all addressed in the past. (a search for blueprint 408 on here may bring up some unfavorable reviews...but note that all the post dates are 2009 and back, after that they stop, and no news is good news!)
hanging new heads on this will require a new intake though, and the mag intake thats on it now retails for $300 i think, so be sure you resell that...you will also lose some of what i'd call "actual" lift/duration..b/c the mag heads have 1.6 rockers...LA heads use 1.5 in most cases...and the cam thats in these motors is pretty mild already...its in there for street ease..not the drag strip. .484 lift i believe goes to .516 with the 1.6's. just something to consider that you'll knock it back to .484 with la heads if u leave the cam.

the one in the picture has magnum heads...

but the block has LA timing chain cover/water pump and has a mechanical fuel pump...

so i dont know how you say it is a magnum block....

i dont have xray eyes anymore...i gave the glasses back went i retired from area 51....

so i can only go with what i see with my reading glasses these days...

I was going by the water pump. It didn't look right for an LA engine but I've looked at some other pics on line & I guess it looks more like an LA pump than a Magnum pump so I was wrong. Still looks kinda' weird to me though...

Hmm thanx for the feedback guys ....much appreciated.

I'd reckon a decent set of ported RHS LA heads (Brian are you listening?) bolted on and a new solid or roller cam might wake her up a tad.

I already have a set of decent rollers and I would definately check the bottom end/clearances etc.

As it stand this engine with the OEM Magnum heads is rated at 9.8:1 CR - not sure what their chamber CC s are or whether or not the hyper slugs are flatops or dished (I'm betting their dished haha) but that could be rectified with a thinner head gasket and a slightly shaved head to reduce the chamber vol.

Any thoughts on what might really work well to wake this up and make as much HP/TQ as possible? I will run the appropriate gear/convertor/tire to suit.

This engine has only 50 miles on it so ill check the cyl PSI before I tear it down.

Rat

Let me preface what I'm going to say with "I'm not trying to rain on your parade". I have seen posts here and on other websites here members bought a "crate" engine. and as everyone should, they checked a few items to see that they were either installed correctly or within the correct tolerances. I do remember that on some of the posts, especially about Summit crate engines, that there were problems...some which needed to be fixed immediately and some others that could eventually become a problem. I have even seen other posts on Edelbrock heads which had to be straightend out before being run. I've even seen posts on Ma Mopar Crate engines that had problems that needed to be fixed. I read somewhere that Mopar didn't even do their own crate engines and had subcontracted their assembly to someone else. If I were buying a complete engine that was assembled by some one else that I didn't know anything about, I would definitely dissassemble it and check everything, More time and effort but worth the peace of mind to know it was done right. As the old saying goes"If you want something done right do it yourself". I know that some of you will respond by saying that you bought a crate engine and have had absolutely no problems, and that's the way it's supposed to be , but I don't have 4-5 k to throw around and need to be absolutely sure it's right the first time around.....

Fishy, it'll be a street /strip application.

Dustoff - unfortunately crate motors have been plagued by many issues as you have said. My intention would be to thoroughly check the short block/ clearances to ensure everything is up to scratch.

The heads of course will be new from a reputable source :toothy7:
Rat

What weight is the car? What gear do you plan on running and what tire size? What style cam do you prefer (flat tappet, roller, hyd. or solid)?

Rat

Rat - I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. Feel free to email or PM me. Also if you can get the serial number off the block I could sure tell you a bit about the history of the engine. They are usually on the driverside below on a metal tag.

But to answer your main question, yes these are an LA block. Thanks!

Dru

I think if you're planning to check everything anyway, it becomes "your own engine" and the responsibility becomes yours to approve or change things to better suit you. I don;t think factory type or EQ Magnum heads are enough to feed these engines. So I think the RHS Magnums will help tremendously.

if you are planing to put a new set of RHS heads on it
what would you want for the old heads off of it?

-
Back