Road width

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Is there some kind of federal standard of sorts? We live in an area where the county does not maintain our roads. I volunteered to trim the trees back to widen the roads. I have been told that a 30 foot easement, on each side of the centerline of the road, is the "standard" for your standard, typical neighborhood road. Where I was just hacking away the road surface is a total of 30' wide. The trailer was on the road surface and the UPS truck was able to get by with room to spare. 60' wide seems awful wide for a 2 lane road. I looked at the neighbor that was telling me this like he was on crack but.......

North New Jersey here, the easement is 50 ft from the centerline in my township. Most of the extra is for utilities. The new idea is to bury everything, makes it interesting when you have to replace a water line.

I see many 30' access easements around here, for single lane use. 30' would include the shoulders and ditches. Utilities would have their own easement that may or may not piggyback (generally not).
C

you need to talk to the county..most roadways are on some kind of 1/4 line or 1/16 section line from the township ...and most roads on those township lines have a destinate right of way or easement...

In our county the standard is 40' from the center of the road.

I'm sure some of these antiquated standards, especially in rural counties, have been lying in some dusty lawbook for years. I remember some years ago, a news story after I had nearly piled up the shop service van at a light in downtown Spkaloo on 2nd street, that the Spokane yellow lights were CONSIDERABLY shorter than the "recommended" U.S. Federal standard.

I had been distracted for a moment by someone on the corner, ended up slamming on the brakes and nearly ended up with a 50 lb can of R22 in my lap, so to speak.

It's basically two horse's asses wide per lane. When the auto took over the trails were worn for two horses side by side. Therefore the roads and vehicles were made to fit the ruts that were already worn in from the horses.

WSDOT standard lane width is 12', standard shoulder width is 10'. With lower speed limit the travelled lane still needs to be 12' but the shoulder can get skinnier. However, during construction you can apply for a deviation from standard and if accepted I have seen the lanes as skinny as 10' wiith shoulders down to 8'. Each county will have their own specs though most around here follow DOT

Dunno, around here the roads are pretty screwed up in terms of width. There are sections of road (2-lane) where you actually have to move over and almost scrub your tires on the curb to avoid taking the mirror off of an oncoming car :wack:

Not to mention the bad condition of the roads, which that reminds me of a few years ago. I was driving a 1987 Dodge D50 4x4, and 2 days prior I had installed new ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, shocks, sway bar links, blah blah blah (rebuilt the front end) I was driving along at night and the Township had removed a utility cover/plate from the road and forgot to put it back (no cones or anything to mark the area) I didn't see it until it was too late. Totally destroyed a brand new tire, a cragar wheel, lower control arm, cv axle, sway bar link, draglink and idler arm :banghead:

I,m a surveyor technician the right of way widths differ for federal, state, county, city or township.
I've seen it from 16.5' , 33',up to 100' or more each side of center line of the road depending on the type of road , utilities or drainage.
Most county roads are on section and quarter section lines but not always.

I would check with or county surveyor or other local government engineering department.

If you do any clearing get permission first. You don't want anyone p.o'ed at you!

Here in Georgia, the minimum right of way is 80 feet.

I just noticed that Rob posted 40" from the center of the road. Same thing.

-
Back