Roadrunner or Not

-
satellite indeed but very sweet looking and just minor differences like emblems and maybe suspension but all in all you have a very nice ride,timmy

Hope the OP isn't swinging from a tree.

If you paid to much then go back to the guys who sold it and see if he will renegotiate. If not then lawyer up or tuck your tail and move on.

There are worse things in life than buying a hot rod that's not exactly what it was supposed to be. If you keep it then just drive it and don't get hung up on labels.

Take the stickers off and call it a MOPAR or a Plymouth B Body or whatever. It's still a nice hot rod and if you don't care nobody else will either.

Yeah its not a matter of caring if it's a RoadRunner or a clone. Without a VIN, any traffic stop could result in the car being impounded.

EVERY car manufactured since 1968 must have a dash VIN per federal law. You shouldn't even drive that thing, any stop by the cops could/ probably would result in their seizing the car. You have a parts car at best, stolen property at worst. The title doesn't mean squat.

Exactly. Well, at least about the car being impounded. Any traffic stop could result in an impound. In fact, it doesn't even need to be a traffic stop. Even a parking ticket could cause an impound. Maybe not in every single case, but it's definitely a strong possibility.

As far as it being a parts car only, it depends on the state. There are legal ways to get it a new VIN for it. But, in this particular case, the fact that it's a '68 is going to make it a problem because the stamped numbers remaining on the car aren't the VIN. If the title only has the VIN, and the car doesn't, yikes. If the other serial # is on the title, ie, the numbers that match the car, then there's a way forward. But if the title only has the VIN listed, it could get really ugly. A lot of supporting documentation will be needed to get some kind of VIN reissued in that case, and that will be dependent on where its at and the specific laws there. And if its like the DMV here, it may come down to the individual person at the counter that day. I've had three identical title situations end three completely different ways. Since the law and regulations regarding the situations were the same, the only reason each situation ended differently is the person at the desk that day. And that's scary, especially if a lot of money changed hands.

The OP got pretty quiet.....

And I wonder why! Some of the comments in this thread, imho, were completely uncalled for. All of us stood to gain a lot of valuable info as this problem played out. Every now and again a thread is started which deals with the issue of cloning and VIN tags being sold on ebay. We just might have had a real live case to study -now it's probably been wasted. If I were the OP I doubt I would read past the third page, and probably never come back.

The fact is, she lives in Texas. Hearing about what (would) or (might) happen in California or Wisconsin or Florida may or may not be relevant. They certainly do have problems, not necessarily insurmountable, but problems. I think we just pissed away a great opportunity to learn something from it.

And for those of you who were so smug in your smart-*** responses, let's hope that you don't ever get taken on any transaction, cars or otherwise. Not that it would, because you are so smart. But you know what they say - Karma is a *****.
C

What is the first five characters of the VIN on the title? The second will tell you what trim level it should be, the fifth will tell you what motor the titled car should have! Also, if it is a roadrunner, how do you know that the motor is in fact not original to the car, and the title is from a different car! More research on the motor may lead to clues to the cars origin! What is the casting date? What is the displacement cast into the block? Are there any stampings on the pad beneath the distributor? Is there a partial VIN stamped on the rear of the block on the passenger side, around the top where the bell housing would bolt to? Only a 68 motor would have anything stamped there at all!!

None of this will tie the car to the title, but may shed some light on the origin of the car! You can also check the stampings on the trans to find the year of manufacture and whether it belongs to that car or not! Incorrect year there would tell me that the trans is not original, and that it may not be a big block car at all!

Just trying to help shed some light on this predicament, maybe it will clear itself up with a little research!! Geof

Well they were logged in yesterday and have declined to post anymore information, so I would guess they got scared. I was curious what the vin on the title reads, but I guess we will never know

While I agree that some of the comments may be a little harsh as to their predicament, all are intended to help them understand what they have and what they are dealing with here! I hope they chime back in, even by PM, and allow those who can help them decipher what they really have, and allow us to do our best for them!! One thing that hasn't changed....it's still a beautiful car, and with a little due diligence should be able to be enjoyed worry free once the VIN issues are cleared up!! Geof

The OP got pretty quiet.....

And for those of you who were so smug in your smart-*** responses, let's hope that you don't ever get taken on any transaction, cars or otherwise. Not that it would, because you are so smart. But you know what they say - Karma is a *****.
C

well I've been there.....my issue is that I tend to trust people and consider most people I meet honest until proven otherwise, but sadly a lot of people are out there just to make money. I recently sold a 2002 Z71 for 4000 bucks because it needed brake work, the frame was getting seedy,etc. and the buyer give me a grand sob story......then the SOB flips it the next day and lists it for 7200

my point is if there are crooks everywhere, especially in the car business.....if something pops a red flag, walk away. I don't know what the OP can do to rectify his dilemma but maybe a lesson can be learned for others reading this post

by theway....its a nice car

As much as we may all be curious about how this will all play out, I wouldn't be eager to post again (yet) if I was the original poster. They've got a lot at risk and may not want to share any more info until they've had a chance to sort things out with the seller. I'm hoping that some of the advice on this thread will prove to be helpful.

As I understand it, the husband sold his Corvette in order to make them an all Mopar household. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be that some scumbag took advantage of them.

I can't 100% honestly say what I would do in their situation. I'm sure I'd be in panic mode right now. If doing things 'by the book' means contacting the authorities they may have the vehicle seized. Even if they did nothing wrong they could lose a lot.

If it does turn out to be a stolen vehicle and the original owner cannot be found, they still may not be allowed to keep the car. I don't know how the state will react.

This should have been a happy time for them. Instead they're probably stressed out. It looks like a great car. I'm still hoping that this all turns out to be nothing more than a VIN tag removed during restoration.

There are methods of obtaining another VIN tag. One would be to find someone with a junk '68 Roadrunner and the owner still has the valid title and Vin tag. This is where a person's integrity comes into play. I wouldn't go that route unless I'd made certain the car WAS NOT stolen. Otherwise you'd be participating in perpetuating a crime. - And you'd have helped to separate an honest person from their car. It's a test of their own honesty. They do need to figure out if the car was stolen first.

There seems to a common impression that "authorities" want to seize vehicles whenever possible. I disagree with the attitude against local police based on personal experience.

At least my local police agencies are here to help. I had a experience with a title/vin problem and I had people telling me not to contact the police about the issue and just part the car out. I didn't listen and I am glad.

I had the car in question on a trailer drove to my sheriff's office, requested a conference table. Two officers came, one male and one female to the conference room and I spilled it all as to what happened from the beginning and they looked at what paper work and pictures I had, even went outside to see the vehicle in question. They told me that it all looked bad but they could see how it happened after hearing the chain of events from the beginning.

By the time I left I was in a pretty good chat with them and they gave me forms to fill out and advice and direction on how to fix the mess. Now I have the mess cleared up and the vehicle properly registered.

If I were the OP I would do exactly that. They may even be able to send an officer to the place of purchase and ask some questions and everything is documented and the OP can have peace of mind and get some sleep. IMO

There seems to a common impression that "authorities" want to seize vehicles whenever possible. I disagree with the attitude against local police based on personal experience.

At least my local police agencies are here to help. I had a experience with a title/vin problem and I had people telling me not to contact the police about the issue and just part the car out. I didn't listen and I am glad.

I had the car in question on a trailer drove to my sheriff's office, requested a conference table. Two officers came, one male and one female to the conference room and I spilled it all as to what happened from the beginning and they looked at what paper work and pictures I had, even went outside to see the vehicle in question. They told me that it all looked bad but they could see how it happened after hearing the chain of events from the beginning.

By the time I left I was in a pretty good chat with them and they gave me forms to fill out and advice and direction on how to fix the mess. Now I have the mess cleared up and the vehicle properly registered.

If I were the OP I would do exactly that. They may even be able to send an officer to the place of purchase and ask some questions and everything is documented and the OP can have peace of mind and get some sleep. IMO

This is some sound advice. I've been down the road before trying to get titles for cars. Running around and paper work can suck but in the long run it's worth it. And having the police helping doesn't hurt.

There are methods of obtaining another VIN tag. One would be to find someone with a junk '68 Roadrunner and the owner still has the valid title and Vin tag. This is where a person's integrity comes into play. I wouldn't go that route unless I'd made certain the car WAS NOT stolen. Otherwise you'd be participating in perpetuating a crime. - And you'd have helped to separate an honest person from their car. It's a test of their own honesty. They do need to figure out if the car was stolen first.

And that would be totally wrong and ileagal. Not that it's never been done but it doesn't make it right or legal.

Only legal way to do it is to get a state issued vin. Ya risk losing the car but it's the proper thing to do.

As much as we may all be curious about how this will all play out, I wouldn't be eager to post again (yet) if I was the original poster. They've got a lot at risk and may not want to share any more info until they've had a chance to sort things out with the seller. I'm hoping that some of the advice on this thread will prove to be helpful.

As I understand it, the husband sold his Corvette in order to make them an all Mopar household. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be that some scumbag took advantage of them.

I can't 100% honestly say what I would do in their situation. I'm sure I'd be in panic mode right now. If doing things 'by the book' means contacting the authorities they may have the vehicle seized. Even if they did nothing wrong they could lose a lot.

If it does turn out to be a stolen vehicle and the original owner cannot be found, they still may not be allowed to keep the car. I don't know how the state will react.

This should have been a happy time for them. Instead they're probably stressed out. It looks like a great car. I'm still hoping that this all turns out to be nothing more than a VIN tag removed during restoration.

That method is exactly why the OP is in the predicament that they are! In essence, you are offering a solution that may further cover up, or convolute an already bad situation! It may already be a title from a junk car that no longer exists, now you're offering up the notion that it should be done again??????????

I guess common sense and "buyer beware" dosent exist anymore it seems. There are so many red flags with this car ray charles could see them.

I guess when I really think about it, I can see how I could possibly do the same thing. A person gets caught up in the shiny paint, a slick salesman that appears to be a decent guy. I guess I never have checked for the VIN when buying a car. I bought a 73 Chevelle parts car at a junk yard once, got home cleaning it out I found a lottery ticket on the dash when I moved it the VIN tag was gone.

I make a point of always - even with newer vehicles - comparing the paperwork to the actual VIN tag - there are a lot of crooked people out there.

How many of you talking about the OP's vehicle being impounded have ever been stopped and had the officer look at your VIN tag?

I acquired enough tickets to almost loose my license years ago and not even once did any officer ever look at my VIN tag. Is it possible, yes, but is it probable, I think not. I think some of you are paranoid about Johnny Law for no reason. I have found that if you don't give him a reason to screw with you, he usually won't.

How many of you talking about the OP's vehicle being impounded have ever been stopped and had the officer look at your VIN tag?

I acquired enough tickets to almost loose my license years ago and not even once did any officer ever look at my VIN tag. Is it possible, yes, but is it probable, I think not. I think some of you are paranoid about Johnny Law for no reason. I have found that if you don't give him a reason to screw with you, he usually won't.

I've had my VIN tag checked a couple times. And I've only ever been pulled over a few times, so, do the math- I've had the VIN checked more than I haven't. All on plain old traffic stops. I've only been ticketed on two occasions in over 20 years, and not at all in the last 10 of those. Knock on wood. So no, it's not paranoia. I work with "Johnny Law" on a regular basis in my line of work.

Yes, they can confiscate the vehicle. Will they? Who knows. In most cases, probably not. But it is definitely a possibility, and one the OP should be aware of. Ignoring the situation and just driving the car about as if nothing were wrong is probably not the best course of action. Maybe it would go unnoticed for 20 years. It might! Or maybe it would be on a rollback on the first trip to the Dairy Queen. Extreme ends of the scale, but on the scale regardless.

I would try to get the history on the car first, and I would definitely be in contact with the seller if it was a recent sale. Eventually the OP will have to take the car to the DMV or law enforcement to get the situation taken car of if they end up keeping the car. There probably IS a legal solution that will remedy the VIN tag problem, as long as its not a stolen car. In this case with it being a '68, there are some complications. But yes, I would do some research first, because impound is a possibility/option, and there's obviously a decent chunk of change at stake.

Well Brad, we live in "friendly" states, but Ill bet in Pennsylvania, California, and other states they have much stricter rules governing VIN correctness and such!! I know in Michigan, I've never had a problem at the Secretary of State, or from any police when driving any of my classics! Had a cop pull me over to look at my car though, just cause he liked it!!! Geof

in my county they check the vin on the dash for every stop .....one officer told me that its mainly to verify that the proof of insurance really goes to the that vehicle because apparently a lot of people don't have insurance and will either steal a card from someone else or try to use the insurance card from another vehicle they have that is insured.

there is no profiling about anything because they check all vehicles stopped.

I have had my VIN numbers cross checked with my registration a number of times when I was stopped here in Nebraska. They sometimes will hold the registration card up to the windshield as they make certain the numbers match.

I didn't mean to suggest that the OP do anything nefarious. If the car should turn out to be stolen I hope it gets returned to the rightful owner.

I have lived in Colorado since 1977, I have registered and driven at least 30 , maybe 40 cars in that time. I have been stopped god only knows probably 20 times, maybe more, by city, county cops and highway patrol. I have NEVER ONCE had any of them visually verify the VIN plate on any vehicle I was in.

-
Back