Roller cam for slant 6?????

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have asked a few people if they know of any cam grinder making roller-tappet cams for slant 6's and have heard no "yes" responses, yet.

With all the slant 6 activity ala Dutra and Clifford (and probably others I'm not aware of) it would surely seem that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE is grinding roller-lifter cams for slant 6's.

Or, is there some dificulty in this endeavor that I am not aware of?????

I think there might be a way to convert L-A and Magnum roller lifters into slant 6 rollers, with some "ingenuity in action."

Has anybody investigated this possibility?

Getting a cam grinder to go to the trouble to grind some roller-compatable profiles might not be easy, but if we got together an order for a reasonable number of /6 rollers, it might be do-able.

I am envisioning removing the hydraulic plunger from a Magnum lifter (or, late, late, L-A roller lifter) and replacing it with a sleeve of the proper size, to convert it to a solid. That might work, if I can figure out a way keep it oriented using the Magnum "spyder, modified to fit.

I am open to suggestions as to whether this sort of thing is even possible.

Please let me know if anyone is, or currently ever has, manufactured a roller tappet setup for the leaning tower of power.

I'm going to be building a new engine soon, and I don't want to have to deal with zddp issues if it's not absolutely necessary.8)

Thanks for any information....

Bill, you'll get the same info here as you did on .org, maybe less.

There really is no need for a roller in a Slant. The problems you have to overcome far outweigh any advantages.

With the small lifts and valve spring pressures on a Slant you should never have trouble with the dreaded lifter wipe anyway. Just make sure the lifters are rotating in the bores during break-in.

I've broken a lot of parts, but never wiped a lifter, even using used lifters on new cams.

Like he said forget it. There is no need for it. Too many fast slant 6 out there without to try and re-invent the wheel.

The Roller idea equals more drivability...ALONG with a power gain, you guys running slants with AT especially know what I'm talking about.

or how about you guys running slants period??? the ports are lacking the flow for the big #'s.

Technology=the idea is to be more efficient=power

The big problem with a roller is that there are no streetable blanks. No one has the machine to hob the drive gear. The few race blanks that were built/used were over $1K each, and used belt driven oil pumps and crank trigger ignitions.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the flat tappet cams for the Slant.

440 roller lifters drop right in...

and the reason the roller set up would be a benifit so u can get that valve open super fast and closed the same. if u can get the lifter accel rate up high on a slant it would be wicked...

Thanks for all the good information, guys.

In view of the virtually insurmountable problems regarding cam cores, and the runaway success the flat-tappet cams seem to have in these engines, I am going to go with the conventional cam/lifter setup for now.

Maybe, if there's a turnaround in the supply for roller cam cores, I might try one later, but I don't see that happening.

I appreciate all the good advice!!!!:cheers:

-
Back