Roller Rockers Geometry

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I had to buy a set of new Comp Cam roller rockers from scamp 408 since he had them at a great price.

Thanks scamp 408!(Good Guy alert!)

Here is the #1 exhaust rocker. The first pic is the lifter on the base of the cam and the second is at full lift. I'm going to get the Hughes hold down kit in which it comes with shims, bolts, holders. This is just temporary check and I realize I got the wrong shaft on the wrong side but you get the idea. The adjuster is one thread out now.

What do you think?

DSC02107.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

DSC02109.jpg

The geometry is obviously not so great, wouldn't use in my motor but might work OK. On a much more serious note, those rockers sure don't look like Comp Cams, maybe Chinese knockoffs?

The geometry is obviously not so great, wouldn't use in my motor but might work OK. On a much more serious note, those rockers sure don't look like Comp Cams, maybe Chinese knockoffs?

No they are Comp Cam rockers... they was still in the orginal box.

I'm thinking I need to raise the shafts up to get the rocker to roll toward the intake side more on full lift.

Yes, I think you are right. By the way.....I'm jealous. I've been looking for a set of those for a while now.:thebirdm::-D

No they are Comp Cam rockers... they was still in the orginal box.

They may have been in the original box but something's really fishy. I have a set that was drop shipped from CC & they are definitely not the same on several fronts, they are quite different. No offense but those in your pic look of lesser quality.

Those are comp rockers just a older set they were sitting on my shelf. IMPO I think the older ones are better because they use the mopar factory style adj.The new ones use a diff one and you need new pushrods.Next your going to tell me my X block is made in China because its a older block.:toothy10:

Those are comp rockers just a older set they were sitting on my shelf. IMPO I think the older ones are better because they use the mopar factory style adj.The new ones use a diff one and you need new pushrods.Next your going to tell me my X block is made in China because its a older block.:toothy10:

I may be full of it but still disagree. Have one sitting on my desk right now & it's way different. In addition to the adjuster, the one I have looks more substantial, it has an arch & more meat on the top. The roller also looks beefier. Its also clearly marked "CC". Lastly the arm looks a wee bit shorter, maybe more than a coincidence? I'd be calling CC 1st thing Monday to verify. Can post a pic if you like but believe there's closeups on the CC site & maybe Summit. Don't think they're making knockoff X-b's yet, but wouldn't put it past 'em!!!

Do you have a solid or hydraulic cam? Reason I ask is the lifter might not be pumped up at max lift if its hydraulic.

The picture you have at max lift is a little shadowy but I think it will be ok from what I can see. Not ideal, but I think it will work. You need to make sure the "center" of the roller is not near the edge and it looks like there is still some metal on the edge of the valve tip to spare. I used a magic marker on the valve stem, then put rocker on, and turned engine around, then took rocker off and that allows you to see the scrub pattern. Erasable magic markers work the best.

I don't think shimming the rocker shafts will help, it will move it more toward the exhaust port. If anything lash caps. But it looks like there is no risk of rolling near the end to me from what I can see. Very rarely is the geometry perfect on SB mopars.

Fishy68, where are you?

scamp 408 is a straight shooter, he sold me my std bore 340 block I used for my stroker. Everything he said in emails and over the phones was correct. If anything he down played the condition of the block. I would think his word is good based on my purchase experience.

I may be full of it but still disagree. Have one sitting on my desk right now & it's way different. In addition to the adjuster, the one I have looks more substantial, it has an arch & more meat on the top. The roller also looks beefier. Its also clearly marked "CC". Lastly the arm looks a wee bit shorter, maybe more than a coincidence? I'd be calling CC 1st thing Monday to verify. Can post a pic if you like but believe there's closeups on the CC site & maybe Summit. Don't think they're making knockoff X-b's yet, but wouldn't put it past 'em!!!

Here are a pic of mine I bought new recently. Yes they are very different. What scamp 408 is saying is they are an older style that are no longer available.

ProMagnumGeometry.JPG

scamp 408 is a straight shooter, he sold me my std bore 340 block I used for my stroker. Everything he said in emails and over the phones was correct. If anything he down played the condition of the block. I would think his word is good based on my purchase experience.

Not questioning anyone's integrity, just recommend you check before running, a lot easier now than later. A busted up rocker is a major engine disaster, it's happened to some.

If it were my engine, I would try and find out when they were made and see if anyone knows anything about them. More knowledge is always better. And yes rockers are one of the most critical components in an engine.

Do you have a solid or hydraulic cam? Reason I ask is the lifter might not be pumped up at max lift if its hydraulic.

The picture you have at max lift is a little shadowy but I think it will be ok from what I can see. Not ideal, but I think it will work. You need to make sure the "center" of the roller is not near the edge and it looks like there is still some metal on the edge of the valve tip to spare. I used a magic marker on the valve stem, then put rocker on, and turned engine around, then took rocker off and that allows you to see the scrub pattern. Erasable magic markers work the best.

I don't think shimming the rocker shafts will help, it will move it more toward the exhaust port. If anything lash caps. But it looks like there is no risk of rolling near the end to me from what I can see. Very rarely is the geometry perfect on SB mopars.

Fishy68, where are you?

It's hydraulic.

I PM'd fishy so he should be coming in soon.

I'm going to do the erasable magic marker think tomorrow.

Some people should get all the facts before they start accusing people of being dishonest.396

I still have the old mancini cataloge I ordered them from at work.If anybody cares I will scan it and post it up.:angry7:

Some people should get all the facts before they start accusing people of being dishonest.396
Did not accuse you or anyone. Just recommended verification. There's no one on this earth incapable of making a mistake. One last thing, the rocker's I have were bought years ago, not long after they were introduced.

Just my two cents worth. Hughes Engines makes a rocker arm with the correct geometry for small block and big block Mopars. It's not a "knock off" of a Chevy rocker. I've used them for years and compared them with Comp, Crane, etc. In my opinion they're the best out there for a Mopar motor.

Does it really matter? Are there poor roller rockers out there?

YES it does! The market is flooded with cheap Chinese repros that break! Look at ebay!! A hypothetical situation: Someone buys the big $$ CC rockers from Mancini. They put their cheap knockoffs in the package and return for a full refund. Mancini unknowingly makes the refund & puts back into stock & sells to the next guy. It could happen!

Did not accuse anybody than what the heck does this mean.
(One last thing, the rocker's I have were bought years ago, not long after they were introduced) I can read between the lines.

It's hydraulic.

I PM'd fishy so he should be coming in soon.

I'm going to do the erasable magic marker think tomorrow.

If you adjust it so the plunger does not go in during lift you should be able to get a good feel on what the geometry is.

Did not accuse anybody than what the heck does this mean.
(One last thing, the rocker's I have were bought years ago, not long after they were introduced) I can read between the lines.
408, you're completely misreading me, not my intent.

Your right But remember I am a mopar man and have been for sometime now .I take my mopar parts,cars and racing to heart So I am sorry.

sound like somebody know what they are doing.
(Someone buys the big $$ CC rockers from Mancini. They put their cheap knockoffs in the package and return for a full refund. Mancini unknowingly makes the refund & puts back into stock & sells to the next guy. It could happen!)396
You're going off the deep end!! I'm done with this post, apologies for any advice given!

You guys are funny.

Is the part number the same as the current ones? Sounds like Paul bought these rockers new from Mancini himself, not from a third party.

-
Back