Roller Rockers Geometry

-
Goodmorning gents1 Lot's of good info here. I'm glad I started reading. Does anyone know if Mopar ductiles are a direct replacement for the HP273 rockers or should they be replaced as a set. toolman
Quick answer is no. They use cupped pushrods, not sure if width is same. There also could be an issue with shaft hardness.

This is what I came up with using the hughes rockers.I marked in blk where the rub mark is.I thought is was high on the intake side.I shimmed up .090 and brought it right in the middle. I didnt notice any et diff.Funny thing with all this talk about china rockers my first stroker motor I had the blk roller bearing cats pprob the first set back in 01.They had the best geo I ever had.But the bearing blew out.

ZACH 003.jpg

I like the cupped p/r also because they hold the oil longer.

If you look at the site they have more sets .Click on rocker arms.Lots of pics 1 has a pic of the part # on the box. The comp cams web sits show a 1420 rocker
and then later they show a 1322 rocker .So that shows 2 diff rockers .

Matt at Comp said that it definitely looks like one of their rockers. He said the list number for them now is 1322. He is going to get one of his and compare it to my pictures on Monday to make sure then email with the results.

Didn't know they actually had 2 lines of shaft rockers, magnum & pro-magnum. Formerly the standard magnums were stud-type only. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on them other than what's on the CC website. They are limited to 350 lbs open spring pressure so they could be considered a mild street upgrade. CC does say they should be marked with their logo on the website but who knows if this is fact or not.

Didn't know they actually had 2 lines of shaft rockers, magnum & pro-magnum. Formerly the standard magnums were stud-type only. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on them other than what's on the CC website. They are limited to 350 lbs open spring pressure so they could be considered a mild street upgrade. CC does say they should be marked with their logo on the website but who knows if this is fact or not.

Yeah I have the magnums not the pro magnums in which is probably the one you had in your hand yesterday.

I said in my previous post that Matt at Comp is going to compare his with my pictures. I got to thinking .... how is he going to do that if they don't make them anymore?

I'm just going to run them and say the heck with it! I'm very confident that they are truly Comps especially seeing the pictures on the link that scamp 408 posted. I don't like the adjusters on the Pro magnums and I'm not running more than 350 spring pressure.

I don't think I will ever buy another part from a individual again of this nature again. Not motor parts anyways. I will buy from some place on the web like Summit, Mancinis. That's what I get from trying to save a few bucks.

The Hughes rockers are made by probe. I tried a set of 1.6 about a year ago.

The ratio measured in at 1.48. I sent them back. I was trying to increase the ratio from the Comps, identicle to the set purchased from scamp_408, which meaured slightly over 1.5.

The Hughes rockers are made by probe. I tried a set of 1.6 about a year ago.

The ratio measured in at 1.48. I sent them back. I was trying to increase the ratio from the Comps, identicle to the set purchased from scamp_408, which meaured slightly over 1.5.

OK there we have it folks THEY ARE COMPS!

Where is that signet fellow that started all of this!!:-D

Here is the scrub pattern I got before installing the heads on the engine. It was taken with a check spring pushing the valve open with my hand until the retainer hit the guide. The actual scrub patter does not go as far to the end as in this picture.

RockerScrub.JPG

ScrubFullyOpen2.jpg

Here is the scrub pattern I got before installing the heads on the engine. It was taken with a check spring pushing the valve open with my hand until the retainer hit the guide. The actual scrub patter does not go as far to the end as in this picture.

I did a scrub pattern last night and it showed just like what you have in the picture. Maybe a shade toward the intake side but I'm not exactly sure I did it right. I used a erasable marker , painted the entire top of the valve stem, did the test and had a mark like yours. Is this ok?

Mulli, glad to see you got to the bottom of all this and they are in fact comp rockers. That is good news.

Yeah it is good news. Comparing mine to the cheap china set on the Internet mine aren't a brass color in the middle section that rides on the shaft. I have missed emotions about the whole situation. I feel sorry for Paul and putting him through all of this because I have NEVER had a Comp rocker in my hand and don't know much about them like to now. I want to get pissed at Signet but he was just trying to protect me from any harm that I might have occurred down the road is all he was trying to accomplish so being mad is not a option. So all and all it worked out without any problems to be left out on the table. Thanks to everyone that helped out in all cases!

The stock type hold downs I have does not have those ears sticking out on the sides like some I have seen that might dig into the side of the rockers. I don't really know if I need the Hughes hold downs or not. I have checked the free play between the rockers and hold downs (with the rockers,spacer pushed to oneside) and have .039. Is this alright?

I bought the valve springs awhile back and they are Comp valve springs 942-16 in which they have 339 pressure so I'm with in the 350 pressure of these rockers so I'm good to go.

Glad all's OK. My intent was to help, not to cause aggravation. Out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone knows why CC stopped selling the 1420 & now only sells the more expensive 1322? It looks like they had a very short production run on the more inexpensive types. 339 lbs. open is cutting it a bit close, hopefully CC puts some healthy margin in the 350 figure. They verbally told me the 1322's were good to 500 lbs. but I would go to some different setup for those kind of pressures.

My understanding was under 400 pounds of open pressure and you would be alright.

If your scrub pattern looks like mine you should be in good shape.

The issue with the rockers is no one was familiar with that model rocker. Now that we know all is good. And like I said before, Paul is about as honest as they come.

Mully with your cam your spring # is 279# not the 339#.The 339 is if you compress the spring fully so you are fine .I just ck the specs for the 942 springs 115# at 1.700 ht and 284# at 1.200 you are at 1.226 at 279#.i hope this all makes sence .As for 500# of pressure I would not run any cc rockers .I have read about far too many burn up and lockon the shaft.Remember the motor challenge in mopar muscle Diamond race engines got knocked out because of this.

Mully with your cam your spring # is 279# not the 339#.The 339 is if you compress the spring fully so you are fine .I just ck the specs for the 942 springs 115# at 1.700 ht and 284# at 1.200 you are at 1.226 at 279#.i hope this all makes sence .As for 500# of pressure I would not run any cc rockers .I have read about far too many burn up and lockon the shaft.Remember the motor challenge in mopar muscle Diamond race engines got knocked out because of this.

I got the info off of Summit and thought the 339 was what I needed to know. See... how much I know about this stuff! I definetly know that is the springs I'm running because I have the invoice right here from Summit. I had a machine shop do the install etc... Well is good to know that its 279. I like learning this stuff. I wished I knew more than I do. PM me where you get this type of info or if you have to figure it out don't worry about it.

Mully glad to hear you got everything resolved and everything's good.

BTW: I have caught numerous errors on Summit's site so to make sure and get the correct info I always look stuff up on the mfg. site.

Mully glad to hear you got everything resolved and everything's good.

BTW: I have caught numerous errors on Summit's site so to make sure and get the correct info I always look stuff up on the mfg. site.

Me too!

I got some Hughes hold downs coming from Mancini so I will have to wait a bit before firing it up.

You will love those Hughes hold downs!! Here are my rockers with the Hughes hold downs. I had around .020" side to side clearance so no shims were needed.

Painted2_shrunk.jpg

You will love those Hughes hold downs!! Here are my rockers with the Hughes hold downs. I had around .020" side to side clearance so no shims were needed.

Yeah I've looking at your picture the whole time off and on! LOL!

What ft/lbs do you torque the hold downs?

For mopar stock hold downs it shows 17ft/lbs.

I torqued mine down to 18 foot pounds. Does not sounds like much but its plenty to hold them nice and tight. I put some blue lock tight on the threads that go into the head because I got tired of the studs moving when I spun the nut on. No lock tight on the nuts though.

Careful using locktite on the stud threads... it can build up and harden in the oil feed passage and restrict oil to the shaft. Studs should not be locked in place. They are meant to simply sit there, you put them in fonger tight.

-
Back