Rubber Fuel Lines Are Dangerous

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I want to get the correct factory metal line for my 1968 Barracuda.
It's a 318 with an Edelbrock carb.
This is what I found in the net...
Metal Line

Is this correct - will this fit my engine correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Looks right to me.
FYI, EFI rubber lines are good even for stock pumps and carbs, and what I use even for vacuum lines. :D

My main fuel lines (feed and return) are nylon12 EFI tubing and turn up following the firewall to the top of the inner fender, then turn over to the carb to keep it all away from the motor.

(I know, probably more than you wanted to know) :D

Looks right to me.
FYI, EFI rubber lines are good even for stock pumps and carbs, and what I use even for vacuum lines. :D

My main fuel lines (feed and return) are nylon12 EFI tubing and turn up following the firewall to the top of the inner fender, then turn over to the carb to keep it all away from the motor.

OK....thanks! Last thing I want is a fire!

Jeff

steel lines are great, but even the factory used rubber hose. I just try to keep it as short as possible. I bend my own steel piping with a pipe bender you can buy for 12 bucks.

steel lines are great, but even the factory used rubber hose. I just try to keep it as short as possible. I bend my own steel piping with a pipe bender you can buy for 12 bucks.
Actually.....a pipe bender would be a great tool to add to the collection!

Jeff

Actually.....a pipe bender would be a great tool to add to the collection!

Jeff
yeah, there are different styles. Some can be bought at your local parts store. Gotta work careful with them, or you'll kink your line :)

I had a 10 AN steel braided line burst on me under the car. Was a defect in the hose, sent it back speed shop sent me another roll.

Properly bent hard lines can be the difference between trick, and trash.

I bought a pipe bender last summer when I needed a new fuel line from the filter to the carb after doing my 4barrel upgrade. You can see pics of the fuel line I bent in my LD4B upgrade on a 75 318 thread as I didn't want the filter above the intake. I borrowed a friends bender years ago when I bent new brake lines across the rear end. You don't need a bender often and since they are not very expensive, they are handy took to add to the collection.

I would say that rubber hoses are fine.

Assuming you don't let it fall onto the fan belt so it saws a hole in it and dumps fuel all over the ground and engine, almost causing a fire... Ask me how I know...

I would say that rubber hoses are fine.

Assuming you don't let it fall onto the fan belt so it saws a hole in it and dumps fuel all over the ground and engine, almost causing a fire... Ask me how I know...
LOL.....and that's only ONE thing that could go wrong...!

Jeff

I've used Nyon12 in shorter lengths on other projects but was planning to run both pressure and return for the whole car. How did you form the tubing? Heat gun?

I've used Nyon12 in shorter lengths on other projects but was planning to run both pressure and return for the whole car. How did you form the tubing? Heat gun?

I didn't need to form it because I followed the outer side of subframe connectors and used gradual turns under the hood.
I also cased it with pipe insulation tube all the way to, and part way up the firewall where it came closest to the headers. (about 6 inches from them)

Got my new line yesterday. ...I'll install it and post an update with pics soon...

Jeff

Looks right to me.

this !------------------------------

All done.....the part fit perfectly (ok...had to bend it just a little! )

20170204_162523.jpg
20170204_162547.jpg

Much better without so much rubber!
Good $20 IMO.

Jeff

-
Back