S&P Headers for 5.7

-
I never picked you for a "turbo" kind of guy, Brian? LOL!!

I am going to drive my smooth idling, completely mellow sounding 1000 horsepower car to the track on drag radials. Run high 8's or low 9's and then drive it home. Gen3 Hemi, 76mm Turbo, 6 speed transmission for the win!

Anyone have any ideas on if these shorty headers or the type III headers offered by S&P will fit in an early A? Have alter-k with power steering and stock a/c pump, car accessory drive.

I do not know if S&P headers will fit an Alterktion in an early A-body.

What I do know is that the early A bodies are even tighter than 67 and later A bodies. As a result most people who attempt to stuff a Gen III Hemi into a early A-body use the Alterktion. I also know that Bill Reilly specifically worked with TTI develop a set of headers that worked with the alterktion and the new Hemi.

Finally, the S&P headers are only a little cheaper than the TTIs. If money is an issue (and it often is) you can use a set of Jeep SRT 8 manifolds. A small amount of trimming is necessary but you end up with a clean install.

Check out tincups build thread for details about using cherokee exhaust manifolds.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=63294&page=9

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=63294&page=12

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I do not know if S&P headers will fit an Alterktion in an early A-body.

What I do know is that the early A bodies are even tighter than 67 and later A bodies. As a result most people who attempt to stuff a Gen III Hemi into a early A-body use the Alterktion. I also know that Bill Reilly specifically worked with TTI develop a set of headers that worked with the alterktion and the new Hemi.

Finally, the S&P headers are only a little cheaper than the TTIs. If money is an issue (and it often is) you can use a set of Jeep SRT 8 manifolds. A small amount of trimming is necessary but you end up with a clean install.

Check out tincups build thread for details about using cherokee exhaust manifolds.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=63294&page=9

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=63294&page=12

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response, I'm very familiar with Tincup's build. He has a beautiful '63, unbelievable workmanship. I was trying to avoid modifying my drivers side motor mount when using the jeep srt-8 manifolds. I remember seeing a reference made to those TTI headers (early a specific) on Bill's forum, but it seemed that the headers they made were lost by UPS and nothing ever came of them. TTI certainly doesn't advertise them or I'd be all over a long tube option of course. Unless you know something I don't know, there doesn't seem to be an actual advertised, proven option for the early a body third gen conversions.

I'd contact Bill at RMS. He used to have a forum on the RMS website, it was there that he discussed stuffing a 5.7L Hemi into an early A. I seem to recall his using an early A since it was so tight, and he modified the TTI headers to fit and this became the model for the TTI headers for use in the 67-76 A bodies with an alterktion.

If the TTIs are out it looks like you're going to have to use Jeep manifolds and modify the engine mount. :(

Depending upon TTIs return policy, you could buy the TTIs and VERY CAREFULLY see if they will fit and return them undamaged if they won't.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I'd contact Bill at RMS. He used to have a forum on the RMS website, it was there that he discussed stuffing a 5.7L Hemi into an early A. I seem to recall his using an early A since it was so tight, and he modified the TTI headers to fit and this became the model for the TTI headers for use in the 67-76 A bodies with an alterktion.

If the TTIs are out it looks like you're going to have to use Jeep manifolds and modify the engine mount. :(

Depending upon TTIs return policy, you could buy the TTIs and VERY CAREFULLY see if they will fit and return them undamaged if they won't.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Joe, thanks for your reply...

As for the TTI's, I know about the thread you are referring to and I've searched bigblockdart endlessly for it and cannot, for whatever reason, find it. Regardless, I have email traffic with Bill a ways after that initial development discussing the TTI headers. He said that they would almost assuredly require frame trimming as they are already very tight on the later a's. With the frame being even narrower on the early a's I have no question in my mind that they wouldn't fit. The only option I see now are the 5.7 S&P short tubes. I do intend to modify my torsion bar crossmember similar to how Tincup did in his '63 Dart and add in some pipes to run my exhaust through. Should improve ground clearance I think, in addition to the fact I'm going to have to modify that crossmember anyhow for the MA5 transmission.

Does anyone have a picture of these actually mounted on the engine? Looking down each side from the front, preferably aligned with the furthest outer edge of the cylinder head. More or less, do these actually extend out far enough that they are wider than the engine at it's widest point, the heads.

I'll take some pics of the left side (your drivers side) tomorrow.

My motor is in the exact same position as a later US A body would be - and the left side has not been chopped at all.

To do the right steer side - I'd need a miners helmet and a weeks rations.....

I used the S&P center dump shorty headers with the alterk on my 69. The drivers side front tube hits the engine mount. I ordered mine just tac welded together and had to change the front tube and the second tube to make room and get around the steering shaft also. I think i have some pics in my build thread.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=184419

-
Back