Sales tax on the internet now???

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
My 5 HP 2 Stage 80 gallon compressor died yesterday. It was a great compressor and lasted 15 years. I went online to Northern tools to get basically the same one again, and at checkout, they charged $145 Kansas sales tax. No tax was always the main advantage of buying online. So I went to TP Tools, and the same thing. I went to Ebay, and the same thing. I went to Copressors.com, same thing. Did I miss something? Has there been a new law passed that requires all online retailers to charge sales tax??? What the hell???

Happened a while ago. Even Amazon charges tax now. As much as it sucks it is a little more fair for local businesses.

Yep, on the tax collecting.
ebay is collecting tax on private party purchases now, too, other than stores, shops, company's.
Buy something, then Pay Pal dings your account, for the amount of the tax.
That's going to put a stop to lots of ebay sales, that's for sure.

It was a good run for us all..... Now is the time to have a gubm't job because the fatcats just got a bunch fatter.......

JW

There was always sales tax due on out of State purchases. They are just enforcing it now.

For a long time, they just let the individual tax payers report their purchases. But since that didn’t pan out, they went back to the source of the sales.

Nothing has changed but enforcement of the existing laws.

My 5 HP 2 Stage 80 gallon compressor died yesterday. It was a great compressor and lasted 15 years. I went online to Northern tools to get basically the same one again, and at checkout, they charged $145 Kansas sales tax. No tax was always the main advantage of buying online. So I went to TP Tools, and the same thing. I went to Ebay, and the same thing. I went to Copressors.com, same thing. Did I miss something? Has there been a new law passed that requires all online retailers to charge sales tax??? What the hell???

Yes, it's been a law for several years now. I think everyone had a time frame to come to compliance.

The only good thing for sellers like me is that eBay or PayPal handle the collecting and payment to the appropriate state. When I first heard about it a couple years ago I figured they would make me fill out all the different state tax forms like I do for California. I’m sure it will cut into my business.

yes they do it and yes it sucks ****. all this taxation kinda wants me to turn into a criminal, quite frankly...honestly...

If the business has a presence in your home state you have to pay for sure. If not, it is hit and miss.

If the business has a presence in your home state you have to pay for sure. If not, it is hit and miss.
That is for sure true. I realized that was why Northern Tools wanted to charge me tax; they have a store in Kansas City Kansas. I did find something very interesting. EVERYTHING with the DeWalt name I have is amazingly good quality. I found a Dewalt Compresor on Ebay.

-
Back