sandblasters and cabinets

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Im looking at small sandblasters and cabinets. If I purchase a cabinet do I need a pressure pot or siphon sanblaster too or is the cabinet ready to work ?

These are the 2 Im looking at.

blasting cabinet

sand blaster

Adam, both of those appear to be complete, except for the compressor.

...I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight, but for sand blasters, you might consider taking a look at their website. Northern tool has a couple of interesting pieces, too.

The quick answer is, it depends. Cabinets are great because they contain the mess and are easy to use, but.......... the parts that you can clean up are limited by the working size of the cabinet. The parts that you can effectively clean up are really much smaller than the cabinet because you have to be able to move it or the gun around inside to get at all sides of the parts usually. The bucket is handy for the bigger parts that you need to clean up. I have both a pressure pot and a cabinet. I use the cabinet much more than the pot. I would prioritize them in that order. I also have a spot blaster for those small areas that you always run across. Good Luck. L8r

Jim

the cabnet is what I have. only mines a little biger ready to use after puting together unless this one comes together works good you mite what to up grade the lighting thats not to good..and wen the lenes gets snowed up I repaced mine with glass...it shoure out lives the one that it came with..Artie

Thanks guys, I plan on picking them both up. I may look for a larger cabinet though. I want to at least be able to fit an intake or oil pan in it.

Mine came from Northern Tool and it is a nice cabinet. It is a bit bigger than the one you show, and has plexiglass sides to see into as well. I ended up silicone sealing every edge, seam, crack, opening, and microscopic fissure I could find to keep it from leaking. It was okay with normal media, but when you use the fine beads or baking soda, it finds every hole imaginable. I use it for everything. Guns, toys, even car parts! Cleaning up the leakage sucks, but having the ability to blast your own stuff is worth it. I also have a portable one like the second pic you have. Great to own, but what a God awful mess. I use it for frames and body blasting but put a tarp under the vehicle first to catch the bulk of the media. It is messy. If you own an old car you need them both, though I use the cabinet 90% of the time.

The quick answer is, it depends. Cabinets are great because they contain the mess and are easy to use, but.......... the parts that you can clean up are limited by the working size of the cabinet. The parts that you can effectively clean up are really much smaller than the cabinet because you have to be able to move it or the gun around inside to get at all sides of the parts usually. The bucket is handy for the bigger parts that you need to clean up. I have both a pressure pot and a cabinet. I use the cabinet much more than the pot. I would prioritize them in that order. I also have a spot blaster for those small areas that you always run across. Good Luck. L8r

Jim

X2 ... all of it. :-D Great advice Gerahead!

Once you figure out what you like, you can upgrade the gun and add other accessories to suit your taste too Adam. Check out a site called TPTools.com ... they frequently have sales, free shipping to Zone 1, etc. I buy my replacement glass locally but everything else for my blasting comes from TP.

i have the cabinet and a pot sandblaster from harbor freight. the cabinet is great, if you use it with a vaccum system. leaks alot of dust if using without.

their pot blaster are cheap, and decent, but if you use it consistantly like i do, you will find yourself having a problem with the rubber hose comming oiut the bottom of the pot. the sand will blow a hole in it in about 1 hr work time. so, every time it does that, you will loose like 4 inches of hose. eventually, it gets too short, and you have to repklace the entire hose.

i have two of them a eastwood one and a snap on one , the eastwood one works fine but has No Dust Collection (uses a shop vac) you have to keep an eye on the vac. they plug quick. Now the snappy one has built in dust collection. Both work great , but on the eastwood one you have to remove and seperate the dust,rust and debris occasionally to keep it working good. we use it for the rough stuff(real rusty) and use black beauty in it, in the snappy we use glass media for a nicer finish.
honestly the only reason we bought the snappy was we got a smoking deal on it.
and there is less dust from it.

Hey 340plot Joe ...

If you use a short piece of smaller diameter pipe coming out the bottom of your pot blaster and run the hoses over the top of it (use it like a coupler), it won't wear out your hose so fast. :-D

TP Tools also has plans for building your own cabinet out of plywood and using their parts to finish it. I assume you could modify the plans to make it as larger as you want.

-
Back