santa came early....

-

bobs340dartsport

Reaction score
I was saving money up to buy a lightly used 360/390 MP crate engine from a guy who had his car wrecked. I bought some axles and a 4.10 posi third member from him during the summer and was quite impressed with the value of the deal (Rear center section with a set of stock axles redrilled to LBP for $300!!) He wants $2000 for the 360 crate engine with a few thousand total miles on it, which sounded fair for a 360 magnum crate engine with RT heads ( that cost $5000 new!!).

I had saved $1000, most of it christmas money given to me early for me to buy my present.

So I saw this add in local website for a 340 engine bored 30 over with three runs on it that had done 11.50 in the quarter for $1000!! Call the guy and it turns out the engine is a steel crank 1971 340 bored .030 with new forged pistons, 2.02 valve "915" J heads that are ported, has MP .590 lift 312 degree solid camshaft, adjustable rockers, double valve springs, deep sump oil pan, Weiand "X-elerator" single plane intake that has been port matched to the heads,MP electronic distributor, MP aluminum water pump.etc. The engine was built for a cuda, used for about 1000 miles on street and 3 runs down track before it was pulled and replaced with HEMI. Engine has been sitting for 6 years , but was stored indoors with all of the openings taped over.

I went over and looked at it for a good 10 minutes before I agreed to buy it with no price negotiation (I FIGURED $1000 was more than fair!).

I plan on dropping the oil pan and checking bearing clearances, adjusting valves and painting it before dropping it in the Dart Sport in place of the current 340. Need to buy 750 CFM mechanical secondary racing carb (probably a Quick Fuel Q series) and some other odds and ends.

Guys keep checking those local adds, they made millions of HP Mopars and people sometimes sell them at other places than EBAY!

Bob

WOW! Check the valve springs as well. Sitting compresed can't be good.

Hoo Ho Ho why to go Summitar!!:thumleft:
I always keep an eye out in the paper.
Congratulations !!! great find:toothy7:

Congrats on the great deal. If you manage to find a 340 here for sale (it would be very rare) it is usually 4 grand or over, or it is a boat anchor due to the hole in the block. I had almost gave up on finding one when I saw a 340 stock bore with the X heads ( needs to be built for 1500 4 hourse away so I jumped on it quick. Great deal Mikecongrats man!

I always find deals like that about 2 weeks AFTER I've purchased something else for more money. Good luck!

I pulled the oil pan and is looks great inside. Plan on checking bearing clearances and replacing the valve springs before installing it in car.

Bob

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

Great find Summitar!! That 750 may not be big enough, I had to run a 850DP on my 340 back in the early 70's. It was built similar to this one. Ran it on the street with 4.89 gears and a reverse pattern manual shift 727. The 750 couldn't keep up with fuel requirements on the top end. Kept 'shooting ducks' until I put the 850 on it.
Good luck with your new toy. Enjoy!!!

I plan on running a Holley 4150 HP 750 cfm (#80528) or a Quick fuel Q series 750 or a Pro-Form 750. Either way it will be a double pump, mechanical secondary carb with high air flow main body with no choke housing. I am hoping on having my 3100 lb (3300 with me in it) 1973 dodge dart sport run low 12's or high 11's in the quarter. I figure that engine will do that with a decent 750 carb and the stuff already in the car: 3500 stall 10 " converter, 727 built with reverse manual valve body, 3.91 posi rear, SS springs,pinion snubber, race shocks, etc. If it goes faster than 11.49 seconds I will need to install a roll bar, which I don't want to do immediately.

I will probably install sub frame connectors and then a roll bar sometime during the summer. Then I might try and see if more carb and gear make sit run faster.

Talked with some more racing buddies and I have decided to replace the valve springs with MP double springs, seems like cheap insurance. I might still test the springsI pull off of this engine since I can use them on my spare (the hydraulic cam 340 in the car presently) engine.

Bob

Hey great deal !

I found a terrific deal on the motor for my 73 dart - brand new 360 hp commando motor $2200 without intake or dizzy - buddy bought it from dealership then didnt use it. Dealership dropped the thing on cement and broke a valve cover and couldnt sell it as new. Nothing was wrong with it.

How about using some of the savings on an engine stand ??

LOL !!

-
Back