satellite ('66)

-

Markuscurillious

Reaction score
Hey, i know this isn't really related to A bodys but i came across this satellite it's all gutted and pretty much a roller...i have an A body right now so i don't want to go on the b body forum and make an account...but was just wondering if you guys thought it would be worth it to fix up?

oh and these are like my dream cars bench seat four on the floor 273 orrr mabeeee a 440 idk

bbody 4.jpg

bbody.jpg

bbody2.jpg

bbody3.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, not even on a dare.
AFTER checking the VIN, though, cuz ya never know...
For me, there's just too much missing and what's there doesn't look all that promising. If they gave it to you for a couple hundred bucks, it MIGHT be worth your time to part it out.
That said, it's your dream, and your money.

I agree with the other replies, I'd pass because it's missing too many parts.

The only it would be a go is if it was cheap, like real cheap and you have access to a parts car.

He says 500 but I’d be in to it for like 300..two would be nice it’s just hard cause they’re either all done up nice and like ten million dollars or all gutted out and not worth anything

But I mean if it has a dash, sheet metal, you’d need new seats and carpet anyway on a project car found in a field body isn’t a complete train wreck...pop a motor in her tranny and shaft...breaks, what else is there? It’s just so sad they do this to cars...

Good starting point... id install a running gear, a couple of bucket seats, some basic wiring a drive it!

if all you get is what you see I'd pass unless you have access to a parts car even then would be very questionable

I always liked those cars. If I was younger I'd have a go at her. What are your goals? How much do you like them and can you do a long find and build?

It's tough to have your heart tell your head to shut up and just buy the car if you really like it. But make sure you have a good idea of cost for all the missing and damaged parts. I bought my Dart knowing it was pretty much complete and in good shape and I'm currently at $3000 in parts for missing, broken, worn out, or cobbled up stuff. That Satellite is missing a lot of expensive stuff.

At least one maybe both the 66 and 67 Satellites are one year only parts. I've always liked those bodies.

Hey, i know this isn't really related to A bodys but i came across this satellite it's all gutted and pretty much a roller...i have an A body right now so i don't want to go on the b body forum and make an account...but was just wondering if you guys thought it would be worth it to fix up?

oh and these are like my dream cars bench seat four on the floor 273 orrr mabeeee a 440 idk

View attachment 1715521734

View attachment 1715521735

View attachment 1715521736

View attachment 1715521737

I've always loved the 66/67 Satellites.

$500 isn't bad for that. Just remember that you're looking at $20-$30K to get that car finished, from its current state. Depending on how much work you can do yourself, and there's a lot that needs to be done. Do you have an engine laying around? You'll need fenders, trunk lid, quarter panels or at least patches. How are the doors and hood? Looks like some front end damage, might wanna take a good look at what all that has affected. What about the underside? Bumpers, wheels & tires, interior kit, etc. None of it is cheap anymore. And don't forget paint.

But, there's another option. You could buy this and put $400-$500/month into parts and labor for the next few years. Or, find one that is finished and finance it. Pay $400-$500 every month to the loan. You start with a car that you can enjoy, and the cash outlay is the same, over time. Just a thought.

The quarters don't look terrible. If they are as good as they appear, it is miles ahead of many 66/7's that guys build. They don't make a good replacement for those, (there is a fellow started popping them on B-bodies). The rest of the parts are available. 4 door donors etc. It's not that bad, but it does need a few road trip hunts!

Looks like most of the work could be bolt-ons from a 4D parts car.

Quarter patches have been made in the past but be careful as there are 2 versions, one MUCH better than the other.
The bad one is obviously flatter then the decent one.

Look at the frame right in back of the front shock area, all the way to and including the trans cross member.

Look around the joint between the c pillar and the roof.
That's a difficult repair.

Besides the wheel arch, those are the worst, most common rust prone areas on a 66/67 non Charger B.

Trunk, quarter extensions, dutchman are secondary areas.

I've also seen the rear frame rail near the shackle area go but this is not real common.

Floor pan (except trunk floor), frame rails, suspension and most of the uni-body is the same as 68/69 and some as 70 so those parts are readily available repro

Do you know the engine and options?
A G code 383 4 barrel is kind of rare. AC is kind of rare.

66/67 B's get the crap knocked out of them on the front corners.
Good fenders and chrome is somewhat pricey but can be found.

How did that hood survive unscathed?

How long has it been sitting without a windshield?

One of the more expensive things is the gas cap. $300 is normal...and it's a high theft item.
Cheaper (and more secure) to put on a 67 GTX flip cap.

I LOVE white with a blue interior on a 66/67 body.

If what we can't see is as good as what we can, I think you can do this for under 10K (excluding paint) if you shop wisely.

I bought a 67 wagon about 5 years ago and found a 4d parts car about a year later for $650.
It had 90% of the parts I needed including front fenders, hood, bumper, windshield and floors/trunk floor.

That thin panel behind the back bumper is often severely rusted.

The one on the OP car looks nice.

Looks like something I would drag home. If the frame rails and torsion bar cross member is good not a bad deal.

Be aware that windshields and gaskets are different between 2d HT and 2D/4D sedan and wagon.

However both are available new.

Also due to construction differences the quarter panels on 4D cars are nowhere near as prone to rust as the 2d HT cars.

More often than not a 4D can provide enough material to patch the wheel area on a 2D HT car.

I will tell you, rear quarters, fenders, even doors are tough to locate rust free....I am building this,
66 383 4speed convertible. Talk about rare....1 of 37. No kidding...

20190709_195514_HDR.jpg

20190709_195536_HDR.jpg

Like^^^^and WOW!
Your work is cut out for you. Makes the OP look pretty good!
All there, and 67K mile original owner car. He must have used it as a bumper car...It runs and drives now.....Was seized when I got it...Of course a complete rebuild is in order....Got all needed sheet metal for it, All new interior I bought from Legendary......Will be a sweet rare Mopar when finished...

Like I said, check the VIN, if it's special (hemi, street wedge, you know the drill) grab it and peddle it to someone with deep pockets. Put that money towards something closer to your "ideal".
Is there a title? Do you want a high school Bondo bomb or a solid street cruiser? It's been sitting open for a long time, no windshield or trunk, so how are the floors, trunk pan and frame rails? Even if the frame is solid, it took a pretty good punch to the front... how tweeked is it? Needs at least the right quarter and a lower patch on the left, and don't forget the dropoffs and wheelhouses- the outside doesn't get to that point without taking a toll on the inner structures. And remember, it's ALWAYS worse than you thought... Two fenders, both bumpers and brackets, grille, quarter extensions and taillights, trunk and trim. Windshield and gaskets, full interior- there's no seats/frames, nothin'. That almost gets you to a roller.
Full braking system, fuel tank/filler/lines, front to rear wiring. Not even counting all the little stuff that adds up in a hurry: sanding/grinding discs, welding rod, primers, seam sealers, weatherstripping, hardware, etc. And that'll just
get you to the point of being able to think about the driveline... or paint.
My point is; this thing is missing a LOT of hard to find/one year only stuff, and you are looking at potentially spending years tracking it all down. And paying for it. You have to ask yourself: Am I building this to have fun with, or will I be lucky to see my grandchildren have fun with it?
Start making a list and pricing stuff to get it to the level you want, then take a step back and ask yourself if you're really ready and willing to make the time/money commitment that realistically will be required. Remember, life will rear it's ugly head along the way, too. I'm not trying to be a downer on your dream, just warning you to prepare yourself for this one. Good luck whatever you decide.

Like I said, check the VIN, if it's special (hemi, street wedge, you know the drill) grab it and peddle it to someone with deep pockets. Put that money towards something closer to your "ideal".
Is there a title? Do you want a high school Bondo bomb or a solid street cruiser? It's been sitting open for a long time, no windshield or trunk, so how are the floors, trunk pan and frame rails? Even if the frame is solid, it took a pretty good punch to the front... how tweeked is it? Needs at least the right quarter and a lower patch on the left, and don't forget the dropoffs and wheelhouses- the outside doesn't get to that point without taking a toll on the inner structures. Two fenders, both bumpers and brackets, grille, quarter extensions and taillights, trunk and trim. Windshield and gaskets, full interior- there's no seats/frames, nothin'. That almost gets you to a roller.
Full braking system, fuel tank/filler/lines, front to rear wiring. Not even counting all the little stuff that adds up in a hurry: sanding/grinding discs, welding rod, primers, seam sealers, weatherstripping, hardware, etc. And that'll just
get you to the point of being able to think about the driveline... or paint.
My point is; this thing is missing a LOT of hard to find/one year only stuff, and you are looking at potentially spending years tracking it all down. And paying for it. You have to ask yourself: Am I building this to have fun with, or will I be lucky to see my grandchildren have fun with it?
Start making a list and pricing stuff to get it to the level you want, then take a step back and ask yourself if you're really ready and willing to make the time/money commitment that realistically will be required. Remember, life will rear it's ugly head along the way, too. I'm not trying to be a downer on your dream, just warning you to prepare yourself for this one. Good luck whatever you decide.
:thumbsup:

-
Back