sb alum heads edel vs indy

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
ok down to my last 2 choices i think give me your input

eddy or indy
ok i am looking at 2 sets of new heads 1ndy la x head 179 intake runners up graded to 2.05/1.625valves with correct sizing intake port match and gasket match and minor bowl with 600 lift springs + 1 air gap intake included 1750.00 3 stage porting 2500.00 all worked for 408 stroker

edlbrock heads 171 runners aliminum heads 2.02/1.60 171 runners worked for portmatch gasket matched stage 1 work with air gap 1750.00 both to stage 3 porting 2500.00 to my spring load and and sized for 408
bigger down the road 3 or 4 years for my purpose just want to get in 10s on pump fuel right now at 10 second later 10k budget here going up from a 340 727 8 3/4-3:91 adding frame work and caltracs may go to 904 tranny

give me some info on your combo"s or choices any advise appriciated or your build combo's

indy"s la x alum 180?

what head is that?

indy la x heads are not aluminium.........

Indy heads . If you decide down the road to get even more radical you will be glad you chose the Indy heads.
Not saying the eddy's haven't made some small block's real stealth with big port work, but they are not Indy heads by a long shot!

Indy X heads are iron. not aluminum. Generally the steps are RPM, RPM ported, 360-1 oval, 360-1 big port... The jump from RPM to RPM ported could also be simply going with the -1 ovals and understanding the -1s have a lot more potential for buidling up later.

ok down to my last 2 choices i think give me your input

i can get the eddles for 1500.00 2..02 /160 171 breathers no work , 3 stage porting job 2500.00 or
get the indy"s la x alum 180 intake breathers cut to 2.02 /160 closed chamber portmatched to air gap gasket matched little bowl cut and polish for the 2.05/1.60 or about for 1500.00 or 3 stage work at 2500.00 with airgap either to my springs or cam load wich way to go with just the stage 1 work to start and 600 lift springs tell me your thoughts and mabeee what u did and y

eddy or indy

?!

What are or what do you mean by 170 breathers and 180 intake breathers. I have never seen or heard that term before.

maybe breathers means CC's

The rhs X head with 2.02 will support 500hp in unported form. Ede's won't likely do that without some porting.

Figure out your HP goal and buy the appropraite head for the goal

the runners or breathers indy intake 179 eddy"s 171 indy took over the rhs pattern on jan 1st starting about 475 hsp if i can afford to do all this and hoping mabee near 600 if i feel nt or need in 3 or 4 years raced sleds and moto x till i had a nasty crash in 85 broke back and neck 3 times have 1 nasty sled left i ride 1nce a year just to scare myself back into the luv of adrenalin put it back away and wanna do it in a str8 line in my 65 barracuda but trying to keep it on at leasst 1 wheel luv my cars theres just so much knowlage on here i try to go back to trust old school knowlage than very expensive trial and earer just want to take my barracuda to the 10 second bracket then get it to 10 as i figure this out any help or combo"s apriciated going from a 340 /727/8 3/4-3:91 to a 408 and go from there if i can start at 525 hp 480 ft,pnd at rear wheels awsome im on the way had 1 heart attack 2 augest ago and recoverd now its time to go lets gettr done and leaving my grand daughter 1 sweet little red 65 barracuda she calls srawberry she turns 6 on thanks giving and luvs all old cars and car shows

Attachments

• Snapshot_20120830_19.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 287
Winston, please try to streamline the post. Not to be critical but it's hard to tell what you're actually asking...lol. Also - please use some punctuation if possible. Just tryin' to help.

thanx was hurtin when i wrote this for info not a secratary or good at typing or spelling just want the best head for my $ with longevity to grow with down the road

sorry 70aar and thanx crackedback u guys have the type of knowlage i love to here
and try to add to my equations you cant beat old school been there done that wisdom vs trial and dam expensive error if you do answer again , i am sure you are answering alot of peoples questions wich way to go with heads

Either aluminum or iron heads can last a long time. The key for many years from aluminum is distilled water, not tap and no metal to aluminum contact. (Dissimilar metals)

What you want to compare is the flow rates of the ports as cast and ported along with the port volume. More CFM's equal the possiblity of more power. Port volume should be considered as well. More volume can mean more air. But not always.

To much volume and the air moves slowly. This is not such a great thing. Better to have a smaller port window so the velocity remains high. Once you move to a stroker engine, and I'm sure it is a high performance engine, most every head will need to be ported.

Answer us this;

What is your goal for your Stroker engine. What is it you want to do?

With those answered, we all can get a better idea of what it is you want to achieve.
Is it that you want to get back into a car capable of a 10 second time slip?

Have you considered W-2 heads?

You can build a 408, rhs heads and a good sized solid cam and make 520ish hp.

Mad_Dart built one using Brian's heads and that engine would easily be capable of powering a 3000-3200# car to 10.60's in a good chassis.

If you are wanting to run ~10.00, then ask DusterDoug about the engine in his Duster.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=127916&highlight=rhs

Would running 10.00 be easier using a fully ported ede or an Indy -1 head, likely, they also cost a bunch more.

Performance always costs more. Possibility of more performance will cost more. Availability will cost more. Production costs, material, production amounts, desire, etc... All get factored in.

Overall, I think it's a shame MoPar charges so much for there heads. The W-2 is a excellent head. Along with the discontinued W-5.

-
Back