SB or BB a body debate

SB 408/440 stroker or a BB 383/440

• SB stroker

Votes: 198 61.3%
  • BB setup

Votes: 125 38.7%

• Total voters
-
that's interesting for sure BUT plugs and headers will not be fun...

There are bad things about small blocks that suck too tho.....The distributor is in the back which is a pain......and u have to pull your top hose to even pull the intake off. Everything has it's trade offs. I love my big block....nothing else like it IMO

There are bad things about small blocks that suck too tho.....The distributor is in the back which is a pain......and u have to pull your top hose to even pull the intake off. Everything has it's trade offs. I love my big block....nothing else like it IMO
VERY true I don't mind the dizzy in the back I guess

I just already have a small block 360/A727 with work in it and a BB around my area is a little on the expensive side plus then I'd have to sell the 360/A727 for FAR less than it's worth

I have a 410 stroker in my notch. With 3.23's, it runs 12.804 at 4000' (relative altitude was 5900'). For a street/strip car it is not a question for me. I ran max wedge cars 62-64 and I have had more fun with my SB. I would NOT run a 440. A stroked 400 eliminates so many fitment issues. A 408 will put out an easy 500 HP and be reliable. It really boils down to do you want the eye candy of a BB or the ease of steering and better weight balance of a SB? Enjoy what you choose. You only go around once.

I voted SB for the simple fact I have a 410ci.(10.5 to 1 on pump gas)running mid to high 10,s@123mph.I also have 2 other small block cars and lots of spare parts(comes in handy)I,d like a BB stroker,but will cost to acheive a swap,then stroking and adding alumi heads,hedders.JMO

I have decided to go forged 360 non stroker - I am going to spend the stroker money on RHS heads and nice rods/pistons

Oh and a 150 shot

The stroker SB is awful nice. Mine with a hyd purple 508 cam was pretty good on the street also. Then again, I don't sweat the money thing so bad with the toys.

If you were starting from scratch, some form of torque BB would win.

Taking into account the value of what you already have, I say stick to small block.

I see the sb is quite a ways ahead of the big block,but hey thier both greatr mopar engine designs! True the big block in a Dart is a bit tough to work on,but that's why we toss the inner fenders,lol!!

Paul,that's what I love about strokers,they are in disguise!! I plan on lying and saying my 451 is just a 400,lol. Nobody will believe after I hand em thier *** at the track thoug,lol...

stroke a 400 block (or 440) and use aluminum heads ect... really not any heavier, will last longer, not all that much difference in price..... Better yet stock 440 with the aluminum stuff, mild build lasts a long time.

you are going to want more power and then more power. Why not max out with a BB? I wish I went BB

it has these exact pistons- I wouldn't spray these with more than a 100 shot.. these and the RHS heads would be around 11:1 static compression that is a little much for hyper pistons I think

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/kb_car/performance.php?action=details&P_id=227

I built that short block combo in a e-body with a early (forget cast #)steel ported head, mp .590 cam m-1 port matched intake 930cfm carb large tube hooker headers w/collecters and nos plate system. elect. w/p, wintage try, valley pan ect. 727 w/8" 4800 convert. 8 3/4 4.56 rear. Full body car with 6 point cage only thing missing was heater box and radio. Had to keep the back seat for crusing with the kids. Best et on motor was 11:87 @ 117 w/n2o 10.96 124
Best motor I ever put togther for street/strip that thing lasted 10+years and ended up in a few diffrent cars. PM me if you want more specs. Good luck!!

-
Back