SBP axles to BBP

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a pair of sbp steelies but WV/Coker is out of stock. What's all involved IF I decide to swap to BBP on the rear only.
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
I went with the Dr. Diff 5 on 4.5 axles and re-drilled drum package, but they're still boxed up because I'm 2nd guessing the green bearings that are already on it. Just a personal p.o.v.

Yeah, I just skimmed thru the above article. Sounds like a lot of bs...all this for 15" steelies...
I went with the Dr. Diff 5 on 4.5 axles and re-drilled drum package, but they're still boxed up because I'm 2nd guessing the green bearings that are already on it. Just a personal p.o.v.

Yeah, I just skimmed thru the above article. Sounds like a lot of bs...all this for 15" steelies...
These from Dr. Diff seem an easy install but, can't understand the reasoning why he couldn't install the tapered bearings on those axles and I don't like the threaded bolts for lugs idea.

Now I'm seeing why some people have rims modified lol. Maybe just buy some adapters??
These from Dr. Diff seem an easy install but, can't understand the reasoning why he couldn't install the tapered bearings on those axles and I don't like the threaded bolts for lugs idea.

just the rear end? its easy as hell..

if you have a 7 1/4 rear then just go find a large bolt pattern one and install it.

can go abody 8 1/4 rear. thats large bolt pattern already and is bolt in. driveshaft may have to be modified.

if ya have a 8 3/4 rear then just change the axles and find big car brakes and bolt it together...

Screw-in studs are very common on aftermarket racing axles. I have them on both my 9" swapped rears. I love em.
Also, some aftermarket axles come with both 4.5/4.75 patterns. Screw in studs makes changing patterns easy.

Yes 8 3/4. From the article above it's not as easy as an axle and brake swap. That's what I was hoping for tho.
just the rear end? its easy as hell..

if you have a 7 1/4 rear then just go find a large bolt pattern one and install it.

can go abody 8 1/4 rear. thats large bolt pattern already and is bolt in. driveshaft may have to be modified.

if ya have a 8 3/4 rear then just change the axles and find big car brakes and bolt it together...

@4spdragtop, Jegs shows 15x6 wheel vintiques 5 on 4" in stock, ships today six available. NOT cheap (imo) $175 ea.
Part# 939-63-5654334
WHOOPS! Now a flag shows up on their add, only THREE remaining in stock. Sorry!.

Last edited:
Yes 8 3/4. From the article above it's not as easy as an axle and brake swap. That's what I was hoping for tho.

that article is from 1999...lol... and yes if you have an 8 3/4 it really is as easy as a axle and brake swap. i've done many of them over the years...

one more thing.. over the decades i've used both moser and dr diff axles for the swap and have never had to pull the button out of the center section when running green bearings..

Screw-in studs are very common on aftermarket racing axles. I have them on both my 9" swapped rears. I love em.
Also, some aftermarket axles come with both 4.5/4.75 patterns. Screw in studs makes changing patterns easy.
but they're bolts, not studs and Cass said he "can't put tapered bearings" on those axles with the 1.75 brakes.

An email from Cass
I stock A-body 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern axles for re-drilled 5 x 4" bolt pattern brake drums, but they are only available with Green bearings. $298 pair, assembled. They are not listed on my website. If you are interested, I can Email you an invoice and payment link. Tapered roller wheel bearings are available for A-body 8.75" axles that use stock B/E body drum brakes, though. Cass

Thanks, I had 2 ordered and cancelled the order $885(US I think) shipped to me in Canuckistan.
@4spdragtop, Jegs shows 15x6 wheel vintiques 5 on 4" in stock, ships today six available. NOT cheap (imo) $175 ea.
Part# 939-63-5654334
WHOOPS! Now a flag shows up on their add, only THREE remaining in stock. Sorry!.

if you already have an 8.75 i'd hunt around and see if you can find a machine shop to mod your axles and drums to big bolt.

you'll need to use screw in studs, but other than that it's no muss, no fuss. you get to keep your brakes and the tapered bearings.

although i have no quarrel with green bearings, doing the above is the path of least resistance. finding a machinist to do the work is gonna be the hardest part.

but they're bolts, not studs and Cass said he "can't put tapered bearings" on those axles with the 1.75 brakes.

An email from Cass
I stock A-body 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern axles for re-drilled 5 x 4" bolt pattern brake drums, but they are only available with Green bearings. $298 pair, assembled. They are not listed on my website. If you are interested, I can Email you an invoice and payment link. Tapered roller wheel bearings are available for A-body 8.75" axles that use stock B/E body drum brakes, though. Cass
Actually, some ARE studs. They are called drive studs, are the same size as the holes in mag wheels, typically 11/16, and use a flat nut to hold the wheel on Typically used on HUGE horsepower cars.. I'm using 1/2x20 by three and four inch "bolts" on mine.

Actually, some ARE studs. They are called drive studs, are the same size as the holes in mag wheels, typically 11/16, and use a flat nut to hold the wheel on Typically used on HUGE horsepower cars.. I'm using 1/2x20 by three and four inch "bolts" on mine.
My comment to Steve has to do with what I have and mine are grade 8 bolts. I know what I have, and I know that Cass stated that's what he uses on these particular axles.

How in the f#@k did two $175 wheels u.s., get to $885 CD or u.s.?!? That's just robbery!
The shipping and exchange rates kill our friends to the north. I often wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to ship to Europe.

Duster or Dart?
I have a pair of hardly used, 15 x 8 SMALL bolt pattern Wheel Vintique Rallys. I think the backspace might be 4.25.
These wheels were used for less than two months in about 2004. I ran 245/50-15s on them.
They came to me in Primer and have surface rust now showing.
how's about $250 Canadian, plus shipping, I'll strap them to a pallet. Centercaps extra. Offer expires in ten days.

For a barracuda. Pm coming.
Duster or Dart?
I have a pair of hardly used, 15 x 8 SMALL bolt pattern Wheel Vintique Rallys. I think the backspace might be 4.25.
These wheels were used for less than two months in about 2004. I ran 245/50-15s on them.
They came to me in Primer and have surface rust now showing.
how's about $250 Canadian, plus shipping, I'll strap them to a pallet. Centercaps extra. Offer expires in ten days.

-
Back