Scared my wife bad

-

jeffnmo

Just another Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The other day Maureen was driving her '74 newport when one bearing cap came off the front u-joint, the driveshaft didn't fall out but shook the car so bad the exhaust broke off at the Y-pipe. I was home but didn't get the call and our grandson Zach drove her home, me and Zach went to look at it and I was able to drive it home very slowly, after I fixed it she made me take her for a ride just to be sure. We have been together 17 years and I've never seen her so scared.

Jeff

That's always a nerve racking experience when u joints go. Never had a cap come out though, just all the bearings disappear. Glad everyone is safe!

Glad Jeff that nobody got hurt! Weird stuff always happened like that.

Saw a newer Chevy Colorado the other day with the drive shaft hanging down from the front. Stopped to help, but he said he had it handled. Drove by again bout 2 hours later he was still there. I told him when I stopped earlier, he could pull the drive shaft since he had a 4x4 and I would bring the tools and help him. It was like a block away from my home. Some people.

Weird stuff is right, I guess the c-clip that holds the cap in the yolk broke off? Nice of you to offer help to that guy I wonder why he wouldn't let you!

Jeff

I had the same thing that happened to your wife happen to my Chebby. I can blame mine on stupid teenage driving :violent1:

Been thinking about installing a drive shaft loop for this reason. Could never hurt

Had this happen on my old Dart years ago. I was doing about 80, by the time I got stopped my transmission was in 5 pieces and the mounting ear on the bell housing snapped off. Talk about some smoke! That was a wild ride.

yep same thing happened to my sons 80 Dodge pu last year, crawled under the truck and had a mismatched cap from a Ford ujoint his g/f's dad gave him, pushed it in and held her together with a couple zap straps and some duct tape, ( " handy man's secret weapon", Red Green, ) it stayed on till we got it to my shop about 10km's away!

did it to mine within 50 miles after I installed the 360
wasn't even wrenching on it at the time, but man did that cap pop when it came out

and it wasn't a fun ride trying to get home, like driving on rims with a flat spot

Can you install the loop without going through the floor boards or welding?

yes you can. my loop goes from sub frame connetors on either side and then the middle front seat bolts go thru the loop. you dont have to tie in the frame connectors but i like the idea of the seat bolts going thru the 1/4" steel.

-
Back