school me on differences between Dart, GT, and GTS?

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
I've always been more of an E-body guy. Like the 67-69 Barracudas too. Got all the different trim levels and what came with what on those cars covered. 67-69 Darts? Not so much. So, I'm going to come clean and fess up that I don't really know the differences between the Dart, Dart GT and the Dart GTS trim levels on the 67-69 Darts. So, with that said, can you A-body experts school me on learning the differences between the different trim levels? Or maybe point me to an online reference where I can school myself? Got an interesting Dart here in my area and I want to get schooled up on what I'm looking at before I head over there to take a look at it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dart: very plain car 2 or 4 door pillared car usually had a 170 very base

Dart 270: a little fancier with trim and chrome moldings 2 and 4 door pillared cars

Dart GT: six or V8 2 door hardtop with all trim bucket seats and optional console.

Dart GTS: was not officially released till mid- year and does not show up in the dealer catalog from being introduced late .... most of these 2 door hardtops came with a 383 and the flat hood.

Dart: (LL very plain car 2 or 4 door pillared car usually had a 170 very base ...final year for a 2 door pillared car.

Dart 270: (LH23) a little fancier with trim and chrome moldings 2 and 4 door pillared cars...final year for the 270

Dart GT: (Lp23) six or V8 2 door hardtop with all trim bucket seats and optional console

Dart GTS: (LS23) first year for the bulge hood and first year for the 340 and the 340 became standard on GTS with a 383 being an option. same trim as a GT but with the high performance engine and options

Dart swinger: (LL23) low base model car with no fancy trim bench seat and usually a slant six be it a 170 or a 225.

Dart swinger 340: (LM23) same low bench seat trim as the dart swinger except with a standard 340 and manual trans and heavy duty suspension. The 340 was the only engine in this car

Dart custom (LH23): More trim and more convenience options a more posh bench seat interior. slant six or 318. even seen some 273.

Dart GT (LP23): fancy trim, nice tail panel bucket seats standard with optional console Slant six or 318.

Dart GTS (LS23); same fancy trim as GT except with bulge hood and standard 340 optional 383 and mid year came available as an M-code 440 . Automatic only on 440. )

Rani

You 'nailed' it all across the board.

1967 Dodge Dart
* 2 Door Sedan
* 4-Door Sedan

Engines Available
* 170/101 HP ~ 6-Cylinder
* 225/145 HP ~ 6-Cylinder
* 273/180 HP ~ 2-Barrel {Mechanical Camshaft}

67bodystyles3.jpg

Good-googley-moogley! It's more complex than I thought! I'm going to have to print out a little "cheat-sheet" when I go looking! Gonna go out on a limb here - can you guys post some pics so I can get a visual on the trim? Lets start with the 69's for now. If we go posting up pics of all three years together I'll get them all tangled up in my simple little mind! Thanks again!

real simple way of looking at it is the first 2 digits of the vin. All darts will start off with L. The second digit is going to be the class type.
L = low - shoe box w/paint
M = medium - starting to look like trim
H = high - ok, now this is a car
P = Premium - holy crap, I got to polish all this?!
S = Special - a mixed bag

GTS is to a GT what a RT is to a SE challenger. In fact, most if not all Mopar's use these type on designation. Not sure about actual Chrysler or Imperials but probably the same.

If it is a true 68-9 GTS the 5th digit is going to be P=340, H-383 or M-440, the P code could also be a Dart "Swinger" the other 2 you don't want. So send them too me. =)

1967 Dart: very plain car 2 or 4 door pillared car usually had a 170 very base Dart 270: a little fancier with trim and chrome moldings 2 and 4 door pillared cars Dart GT: six or V8 2 door hardtop with all trim bucket seats and optional console. Dart GTS: was not officially released till mid- year and does not show up in the dealer catalog from being introduced late .... most of these 2 door hardtops came with a 383 and the flat hood. 1968 Dart: (LL very plain car 2 or 4 door pillared car usually had a 170 very base ...final year for a 2 door pillared car. Dart 270: (LH23) a little fancier with trim and chrome moldings 2 and 4 door pillared cars...final year for the 270 Dart GT: (Lp23) six or V8 2 door hardtop with all trim bucket seats and optional console Dart GTS: (LS23) first year for the bulge hood and first year for the 340 and the 340 became standard on GTS with a 383 being an option. same trim as a GT but with the high performance engine and options 1969 Dart swinger: (LL23) low base model car with no fancy trim bench seat and usually a slant six be it a 170 or a 225. Dart swinger 340: (LM23) same low bench seat trim as the dart swinger except with a standard 340 and manual trans and heavy duty suspension. The 340 was the only engine in this car Dart custom (LH23): More trim and more convenience options a more posh bench seat interior. slant six or 318. even seen some 273. Dart GT (LP23): fancy trim, nice tail panel bucket seats standard with optional console Slant six or 318. Dart GTS (LS23); same fancy trim as GT except with bulge hood and standard 340 optional 383 and mid year came available as an M-code 440 . Automatic only on 440. )
Add:
67 LH 2 dr ht + conv, LP + LS conv
68 & 69 LP + LS conv
1969 was last year for conv., I think.

1967 Dart 270 The 270 meant 'Series', which included an upgrade in Trim and Exterior Molding.

Typically found with;
* Lower Rocker-Panel Moldings
* Roof Drip Edge Molding
* Upper Body Side-Molding
* Trunk-Lid Molding

Engines
* 273/180 HP ~ 'V-8' 2-Barrel

i think LH23 was still around in '69 but maybe not 270?

in 69 an LH23 was a dart custom.....68 was the final year for the 270 which was also designated as LH23.

both of these cars are LH23 ......LH23B8BXXXXXX and LH23C9BXXXXXX

the 68 is a 270 and the 69 is a custom

Attachments

• 5454.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 588
Man...did you guys cover it, or what??????????????? Good on all y'all!!

HAHA if there is anything I love talking about its....Dodge Darts !!! LOL

my bread and butter car and also a bread and butter car for Chrysler. you just gotta love em.

And I am not talking about the new fiat Darts LOL #-o

'Chick Magnet'

1967 Dodge Dart {2-Door Sedan} Base Model

Shipping Weight ........ #2750 lbs. ~ 101 HP = 27.23 Wt/HP

Hello ...... NHRA 'M/Stock' {26.00 to 27.99 Wt/Hp} in 1967

Now, that's what I'm talking about.

th

Found this Dodge Dealer Data Book on Barry Washington's Hamtramck Historical website http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1969DealershipDataBook-05.shtml As usual, Barry has a lot of good stuff over there on his site. Anyway, the Data Book gives a brief overview of the different trim levels. Doesn't seem like much between them - just different styles of stainless trim and badging and available options. If I'm reading that Data Book right, it looks like the 'vert was only available in the GT and GTS trim level - is that right? For some reason I thought that grandma could have ordered her base level Dart as a drop-top if she so desired?

here we go ...."chick magnet"

1969 M-code 440 Dart ........great looks, max power and refined styling. :cheers:

Attachments

• 74580646400.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 569
in 69 an LH23 was a dart custom.....68 was the final year for the 270 which was also designated as LH23. both of these cars are LH23 ......LH23B8BXXXXXX and LH23C9BXXXXXX the 68 is a 270 and the 69 is a custom

oops...i didn't read your post close enough Rani
Thanks...i must be 'gettin old.

1967 Company Car

In 1967, every damn A'll-State Insurance Agent' across America had a
1967 Dodge Dart 2-Door Sedan with the 170/101 HP ~ 6-Cylinder.

Options
* AM Radio
* Cigarette Lighter

th

If I'm reading that 69 Dealer Data book correctly, did the "Road-Runner" style hood only come standard only on the GTS and the Swinger 340?

Could you get the 340 in a GT? Or if you ordered the 340 did it bump the trim level up to the GTS simply because you ordered the 340?

and what about the 'vert? Was that only available in the GT and the GTS trim levels?

If I'm reading that 69 Dealer Data book correctly, did the "Road-Runner" style hood only come standard only on the GTS and the Swinger 340? Could you get the 340 in a GT? Or if you ordered the 340 did it bump the trim level up to the GTS simply because you ordered the 340? and what about the 'vert? Was that only available in the GT and the GTS trim levels?

correct that bulge hood in 69 came on only the swinger 340 and the GTS and in 69 on the GTS only ...the "scat pack" cars.

As far as I know there was never a GT with a 340 if there are any claims of one it would be a unicorn car that would never surface any proof ....Performance was not the original intent for the GT. Many people find it hard to believe now but not every new car buyer in the late 60s wanted a muscle car.

If you look at the base prices of the cars when new, it would not have made any sense to option up a GT to have a 340 when you can simply get a GTS that came with a 340 standard. its like some argument with a swinger 340 being ordered with bucket seats ....didn't happen ....there again for the price it would cost to option up the car you could just move into the next model line up that already had the options you want.

'67 & '68 270 could be had in a hardtop as well. Not just pillar cars. 270s had bench seat & GT had buckets IIRC. I think all the "Swingers" had bench seats too.

'67 & '68 270 could be had in a hardtop as well. Not just pillar cars. .

correct ....I think I worded it wrong to make it seem as though a 2 door 270 would be a pillared car only.....that is really bad for me to make that error because my own car is a 68 270 hard top #-o

Attachments

• CIMG048.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 512
In 1967, the Dart 270 was available as

* Dart 270 ....... 2-Door Hardtop
* Dart 270 ....... 4-Door Sedan

Usually equipped with;
* Torqueflite
* Rocker-Panel Molding
* Upper Body Side Molding
* Trunk-Lid Molding