School me on W2 heads.

-
Here's one of the heads showing the casting number .
They show a date of 7/12 76

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 315
Here's the underside .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 247
You can't see it well but I think it might also be Popsicle sticks cut down and epoxied in place .
If I remember right he told me something like certain cylinders got too much fuel and this evens it out ?
I could be wrong ?
I will ask him when I see him .

The pop sticks are used to help balance the flow of the intake into the cylinders for a more balanced and even air and fuel charge which of course means a better balanced firing engine for more power evenly across all cylinders.

The pop stick increases flow down the runner.
Simple yet very effective.

The pop sticks are used to help balance the flow of the intake into the cylinders for a more balanced and even air and fuel charge which of course means a better balanced firing engine for more power evenly across all cylinders.

The pop stick increases flow down the runner.
Simple yet very effective.

They told me it had to do with fuel pooling in certain intake runners, the sticks caused a little turbulence , that helped keep fuel and air mixed (on the std. 340 heads anyway)

I just asked my neighbor ,
He said the sticks were for air fuel mixture and it was only certain cylinders .

I just asked my neighbor ,
He said the sticks were for air fuel mixture and it was only certain cylinders .
That's true and depending on the intake, the height, length and width as well as what runner needed help changed.

340-2, if you have your vacuum cleaner on, just a open hose, the round part, and it is sucking up, let's say, smoke from the out door fire. You can see the vacuum hose sucking in the smoke.
We will call that the air and fuel for this moment.

How do you get the vacuum to pull the smoke in faster?

Put your finger in front of the hose opening.
Same idea with the intake runners.

That's true and depending on the intake, the height, length and width as well as what runner needed help changed.

340-2, if you have your vacuum cleaner on, just a open hose, the round part, and it is sucking up, let's say, smoke from the out door fire. You can see the vacuum hose sucking in the smoke.
We will call that the air and fuel for this moment.

How do you get the vacuum to pull the smoke in faster?

Put your finger in front of the hose opening.
Same idea with the intake runners.

Thanks rumble, but I've got a pretty good idea of how stuff works.
was just trying to add some clarity on what problem the pop sticks were originally used to correct.

Some one from this thread sent me a PM and I didn't read it before the change over.

PM me back.

I think it was one of the down unders.

3402, OH, OK brother, sorry about that.

Hello, new member here. I am on a quest for my first set of W2 heads. Looking at the latest version part number P5249769. I am unable to verify for certain that the latest version that oils through the push rod will indeed work on my magnum 360 block. To me it seems like a simple yes, but I have never done this combination and don't want to make a costly decision in ignorance.

Hello, new member here. I am on a quest for my first set of W2 heads. Looking at the latest version part number P5249769. I am unable to verify for certain that the latest version that oils through the push rod will indeed work on my magnum 360 block. To me it seems like a simple yes, but I have never done this combination and don't want to make a costly decision in ignorance.

These heads feature flat-machined rocker pads that require T&D Pro Race Rocker Arms. Heads oiled through tappets ...
W2 Cast Iron Race Cylinder Head - Standard Intake Port - P5249769

Best I can do....

On 360 inches, a well PREPPED set of W2's will easily make 600 HP without trying. If not, you are doing something wrong.

I'll be happy if I can get 500 out of mine! I put it together last summer but haven't taken it off of the engine stand to dyno it yet.

(null).jpg

(null) (1).jpg

On 360 inches, a well PREPPED set of W2's will easily make 600 HP without trying. If not, you are doing something wrong.
I'll be happy if I can get 500 out of mine! I put it together last summer but haven't taken it off of the engine stand to dyno it yet.]

I personally find Yellow Rose's statement to be a bit far fetched in what others maybe doing and if there actually trying to obtain the 600hp goal as well as at what displacement? I'd say if your trying to get 600 and failed, ya, you did something wrong. But at 360 cubes, are you willing to run what it takes to get there? AND, are you on the street with that beast? It maynot be what your looking to do and live with. Also, while a nice stroker would make it easier to get to that power level, it will still have that hefty cam in it that a street guy will probably not like. Years back Steve Dulich (SP?) did a tunnel ram W2 400+ stroker and it used a pretty good size cam.

The heads aren't a magic part for an automatic 600hp. But it is a head like this that will make it a good bit easier over an Edelbrock head. Not that, that head is incapable.

I personally find Yellow Rose's statement to be a bit far fetched in what others maybe doing and if there actually trying to obtain the 600hp goal as well as at what displacement? I'd say if your trying to get 600 and failed, ya, you did something wrong. But at 360 cubes, are you willing to run what it takes to get there? AND, are you on the street with that beast? It maynot be what your looking to do and live with. Also, while a nice stroker would make it easier to get to that power level, it will still have that hefty cam in it that a street guy will probably not like. Years back Steve Dulich (SP?) did a tunnel ram W2 400+ stroker and it used a pretty good size cam.

The heads aren't a magic part for an automatic 600hp. But it is a head like this that will make it a good bit easier over an Edelbrock head. Not that, that head is incapable.

360 CID, 11.25:1 compression, and well prepped (still using the oval ports) W2's will go 600 all day long. Add a bit for more compression and race gas and you'd be at 640-650. I don't know how guys think 500 HP on 408 inches is acceptable.

BTW I should ALWAYS mention that headers are just behind induction and compression in get HP. Most headers are way too small and way too long with short collectors. It's a package deal.

Looks nice buy DAYUM, I'd take away your assembly lube privileges!!! LOL that's enough for at least a dozen chevies.

Mind posting your combo?
Here is the build thread. My first engine build. I just hope it runs when I'm done!

It's my first build and I figured it would be better to have too much lube than not enough. Take note that I changed cams from what I initially posted and intended to use, to the one I posted later in the thread. Nothing else changed.

And yes, I already know the bottom and is going to be limiting higher rpm's and the engine as a whole.

And yes, I already know the bottom and is going to be limiting higher rpm's and the engine as a whole.

Without seeing flow numbers, but using what you have posted, I will say on E85 (if that is still the plan) on an accurate, no BS dyno, I see 530-545 HP falling off a log, but it will be at 6800-7000 RPM. Your rotating assembly is at its limits. If I was your engine builder, I would want to see less at .050 timing and more lift, but what you have will get it done.

Not to speak bad of the dead, but the guy who produced many of the grinds Bullet now uses, and I think the grind you have is one of Harold Brookshires grinds, Harold and I had many many heated discussions of his understanding of air flow and air consumption, and how to fill a cylinder, and how to increase the rate of change of fill...all that being said (and I post this so if some one else reads this they may learn something from it) once I know the RPM I want the next big deal I think about is overlap triangle and LIFT. Most people are not running near enough lift. You can use more lift.

Get it on the pump and let us know how it does.

So out of curiousity of the W2 rumors on the Little Red trucks. What did they figure out by putting the W2 head on it? I heard that same rumor back in the 80's from a neighbor that had one.

The fact of the matter is that when they (Engineers) were told NOT to put W2 heads on the test engine because the head is NOT being considered for production use, they did anyway and found that the head would pass emissions for the time (year) and could be used in production. More power was found. I do not know what the dyno told them.

The head was never slated for the truck or production use. NEVER!

The head was designed from the on set to be a racers head. PERIOD!

1 pre production test truck had w2 heads, I guess they found more power. but the accountants won and the production trucks did not have w2s

Most people are not running near enough lift. You can use more lift.
Lift until the head port stalls and sometimes, even more, is good. IMO, a lot depends on purpose of the engine. While it isn't a "MUST DO", it is just taking avantage of the port flow. And since we are not worried about warrenties, leaving power on the table for our hot rods and race rides is something we don't like to do. Do we have to take advantage of it all? No. But I did pay for the heads abilty to make power!

Get it on the pump and let us know how it does.
Yes yes! Do this!

OH! What size headers are you going to run?

It would have been nice to hear what the outcome swapping the heads was. It's curiosity. What was the CR on the 79 360's in those trucks...9.1 and still made power?

-
Back