Scored a new A Body today

-
Just guessing but did it have a vinyl top on it? Bought a car years ago that had a vinyl top on it at one point and had the same mess at the lead line. Looked like someone tried to pack it with mud instead of fixing it....

If you've got the motivation, the time, and the coin then fix it up and drive it. The 73 has a great foundation from a suspension and brake stand point. Lot's of parts that interchange between all 73 - 76 Darts and Dusters.

I agree fix it, hate to see a car that clean parted out. If you car the car real cheap turn around and sell it for a profit then buy your brakes but dont part it....just my .02 cents

Wow Great Score!!! Where was I when this was available??? Have not seen that Duster around Raleigh area. I do know of a couple in Johnston County and one very close to me. Great Score man. I agree on fixing her up and possibly restoring her. That is a cool car. I've got a grille, headlight bezels, Grill Script, And maybe some other small parts if interested and I am close to you in Clayton.

Yes, i have to agree. Anymore, it is hard to find any a-body not rotted to death. Even though i could put that whole car to use in parts, i too think it would be worth fixing. ...........i cannot lie, even if i got it from you thinking that i would be parting it, i do not think i could bring myself to it

Just guessing but did it have a vinyl top on it? Bought a car years ago that had a vinyl top on it at one point and had the same mess at the lead line. Looked like someone tried to pack it with mud instead of fixing it....

I haven't the slightest clue. I suppose I'll decode the fender tag tomorrow and find out. You fellas have pretty much convinced me to get it back into shape, and I know for sure it won't be getting a vinyl top.

How would you go about "fixing" something like that without filler?

Wow Great Score!!! Where was I when this was available??? Have not seen that Duster around Raleigh area. I do know of a couple in Johnston County and one very close to me. Great Score man. I agree on fixing her up and possibly restoring her. That is a cool car. I've got a grille, headlight bezels, Grill Script, And maybe some other small parts if interested and I am close to you in Clayton.

I was in Harnett County, right outside of Campbell and it was on a truck that pulled into the gas station where I was filling up. It's titled to a Raleigh address. I'm interested in those parts FOR SURE. PM me with your price.

How would you go about "fixing" something like that without filler?

Just Mentioning it.. But Filler has Come a LONG way from the original Bondo. If you use a Quality Filler (we use Rage evercoat at the shop) It will outlast lead. But if you are dead set against it. You can look at lead free "lead". Eastwood Has some, as do other places.

There is nothing wrong with using filler on that seam, just clean out the lead and rust. Use a torch or grinder (wear a good respirator, NOT a dust mask!) You can also use a fiberglass reinforced filler for added strength. Good luck.

Just Mentioning it.. But Filler has Come a LONG way from the original Bondo. If you use a Quality Filler (we use Rage evercoat at the shop) It will outlast lead. But if you are dead set against it. You can look at lead free "lead". Eastwood Has some, as do other places.

There is nothing wrong with using filler on that seam, just clean out the lead and rust. Use a torch or grinder (wear a good respirator, NOT a dust mask!) You can also use a fiberglass reinforced filler for added strength. Good luck.

I'm not opposed to filler; that's exactly what's going in those spots. I was just wondering how you'd do it without filler considering how much lower that seam is than the rest of the pillar.

Fix that duster! don't part it!, your supposed to part out the junk dusters and fix up the good ones, not the other way around! lol

that look s like a nice score-- shoot just check it out & make it a driver as is--- drive the snot out of it-- until you have a better plan, Lawrence
besides what's the famous slogan-- that'll buff out!!!

Dude, what are you thinking? Fix that bad girl up.

Drop in a 408 stroker, new Passon 5 speed, 8 3/4 rear with 4.10's, Super Stock springs, flat black 'Glass Six Pack hood, paint it B5 blue with matching steel wheels & don't forget the dog dishes. Hey, I can dream can't I?

I will fix it. Oh, man, now a new question:

Y'all think I ought to tear it apart and do everything methodically and properly or just get it going and drive the hell out of it, kinda fixin' stuff up as I go?

I did mine as I drove it. the only time it was off the road was about 4 months in 2004 when I had the body work done the 1st time.

I will fix it. Oh, man, now a new question:

Y'all think I ought to tear it apart and do everything methodically and properly or just get it going and drive the hell out of it, kinda fixin' stuff up as I go?
Now that you have gone the right way and decided to save it I say get it road worthy and fix it while you drive it.

I would fix the fenders,the roof seam,and go throught the brakes/suspension then drive it while I did the rest.

Vinyl tops are the devil.

Amen.

I just decoded the fender tag and this is what I came up with:

It was built to specs for a U.S. order on assembly line 2, Hamtramck, MI main plant on Feb. 19, 1973. "Low buck" package Duster, 225ci 1 bbl, Torqueflite trans., single air w/ heater, manual disk brakes, interior hood release, dark bronze metallic (poop brown, now) paint, full vinyl top (champagne):angry7:, deluxe interior trim w/ vinyl bench (parchment) and roof drip rail mouldings.

It'll never see another vinyl roof as long as I own it, that I promise.

-
Back