Scored me an Offy!

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
Whoo hoo! I just scored a new Offenhauser 4 barrel off eBay. Got a decent price for it too if I don't say so myself. Well, it's a fair stretch cheaper than J.C. Whitney or Summit had it listed for.

This is big! My first real performance upgrade for my '64 Valiant's engine in over 8 years.

Now I just need to pick a carb. And I've already heard enough about the Holley 500 2bbl vs the Holley 390 4bbl to make my head spin, so that's not me trying to spark another debate.
icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I was just really excited and thought I'd share.

(And please don't tell me what a "real" good deal is until I've had some time to bask in the afterglow. I'd like to pretend I'm a smart shopper for at least a day or two.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

I know how you feel about the sweet score on the offy 4 bbl. I felt the same way when I got mine, now 3 months later its still on the shelf collecting dust like everything else I buy and have big plans for. Hope you do something with yours and put some pics up

lucky! that is one of the last pieces i need. summit is backordered though and im too lazy to set up an ebay/paypal account to try and bid on one. does anyone on here have one that they want to get rid of?

Congrat's Chuck :cheers:

I know the feeling man!! Feels good don't it.=P~

Mine is waiting too.

Know lets take a peek at it and share your happiness.

here is mine waiting too.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 021.jpg

Lets see some pics of that dude! Good to hear someone getting a good deal from ebay. Not to start a debate, but I had a offy & the 390 Holley on my 258powered CJ-7 & it worked great!

Good luck!

Thanks guys! It's nice to have people who relate enough to share the excitement. My wife was very supportive, but I had to explain what an intake was and why this one was better than the one already in my car. Responses at work have ranged from glazed-over stares, "A what for your what? What's a Valiant?" to "You're going to put money in a six? Get a Mustang."

I probably should've known better than to tell the Mustang guy.

Anyway, here's the new bundle of joy:
3760_1.jpg

That's one down of my shopping list....A lot to go. I posted this list in my introduction post, but here it is again in case you're curious:

- large valves (1.70/1.44)
- porting job, with 340 valve springs or equivalent, mill 0.100" off deck for 9:1 compression
- Erson 280 int/270 exh duration cam, 0.465" lift
- 2600-3000 RPM stall converter
- recurve distributor
- HEI electronic ignition
√ Offenhauser 4bbl intake
- Adapter plate with Holley 500 CFM 2bbl carb w/elec choke OR Holley 390 CFM w/elec choke
- Port out stock exh manifold and run 2.25" exh all the way back, OR Dutra Duals and run 2 X 2" into a Y-pipe and single 2.5" from the trans X-member back, OR Clifford shorty headers with similar setup. (That one you're more than welcome to debate.)
- Put O2 sensor in exhaust headpipe and Sunpro gauge under dash

- large valves (1.70/1.44)
- porting job, with 340 valve springs or equivalent, mill 0.100" off deck for 9:1 compression
- Erson 280 int/270 exh duration cam, 0.465" lift
- 2600-3000 RPM stall converter
- recurve distributor
- HEI electronic ignition
√ Offenhauser 4bbl intake
- Adapter plate with Holley 500 CFM 2bbl carb w/elec choke OR Holley 390 CFM w/elec choke
- Port out stock exh manifold and run 2.25" exh all the way back, OR Dutra Duals and run 2 X 2" into a Y-pipe and single 2.5" from the trans X-member back, OR Clifford shorty headers with similar setup. (That one you're more than welcome to debate.)
- Put O2 sensor in exhaust headpipe and Sunpro gauge under dash

I've got a very similar set-up in my slant, but it's a long rod with 9.3:1 compression, no head porting, stock valves and a Super Six in a heavier car ('72 Swinger). I was VERY pleased. It's a nice, fun car to drive. I think you'll like it. Best of luck!

Thanks, VM! How's your performance with that set-up? I'm hoping to have something that will do low 15s in the 1/4. (I'm really hoping for 14s, but I'm trying to keep things realistic here.)

Chuck,you can tell Mustang guy that those things are as common as crabs! Everywhere you look,you'll see Mustangs that guys spend all kinds of time and money on and still can't sell them for a good price. On the other hand,our Barracudas and Valiants,Darts and such always get great reactions and offers to buy! Smart folks know good cars when they see them!

Congrat's chuck
Mine came looking like this

Then sistah Leanna at Phoenix Specialty Coatings here at FABO fixed me up and did a great powder coat job on it. No more stains and cleaning for me know.

Glad you got your hands on that intake.:cheers:

She gives us FABO a discount so check here out, and make sure you let her know you are a member here.

http://www.phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/

122 062.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Chuck, check here for valves;

Hey, Charlie! Why am I not surprised I'd find you over here too? Thanks for the link. I've been watching the guy on eBay and I'll probably buy some valves off him once the time is right. I'm gonna shoot you a PM about my car in a little bit too. I have a few things I'm hoping you can help me with.

Chuck,you can tell Mustang guy that those things are as common as crabs!
Too true! Yeah, it does get old hearing Camaro and Mustang guys go on about worthless A-bodies. I just take quiet pleasure in knowing my little Valiant turns more heads than their late-model 500 HP cookie cutters ever will.

Congrat's chuck
...make sure you let her know you are a member here.

Thanks, Mike! It's nice to have one for a fair price. No more worrying if they'll disappear off the market! I'll definitely look into that powder-coating. Looks like she did a great job.

Thanks guys! It's nice to have people who relate enough to share the excitement. My wife was very supportive, but I had to explain what an intake was and why this one was better than the one already in my car. Responses at work have ranged from glazed-over stares, "A what for your what? What's a Valiant?" to "You're going to put money in a six? Get a Mustang."

Take this guy around back & beat him with a garden hose:snakeman:. He is obviously fooled by smoke & mirrors.

Great looking buy! I cant wait to get finished with the duster so I can find something to build my /6 for.

Good lucK!

Memike told me to check out this thread ... now I see why. Chuck, that IS a nice score!!! One thing you'll quickly figure out about FABO is that we all get into each other's projects, victories, occasional defeats, and never fail to share good news / experiences when they happen.

And it's pretty rare that we have to explain to each other what an intake manifold is. :-D LOL! You're in good company around here.

Give me a call if you want some help with that Offy.

Ha! Thanks, Leanna. I really like what I saw your work. Very impressive stuff. I don't know if I can budget in a powder coat right now, but it's going to be a while before I put this in anyway. Just too good a deal to pass up. I would really like to get it powder coated before I get it installed so I may give you a call and see if we can work something out with my budget.

Why do you think you need an electronic choke so badly?

I haven't run a choke on mine for almost 2 years.

Why do you think you need an electronic choke so badly?

I haven't run a choke on mine for almost 2 years.

Honestly, only because I've had five people tell me if I'm getting a carb, it should have an electric choke. You're the first person to suggest otherwise. I really wouldn't know the difference. I'm still pretty green with "real" engines.

Thanks, VM! How's your performance with that set-up? I'm hoping to have something that will do low 15s in the 1/4. (I'm really hoping for 14s, but I'm trying to keep things realistic here.)

I've never run it down the quarter, just drove it to work every day for several months. I'm also still running 2.76's out back, so needless to say it's a better highway cruiser than drag racer. I will, say, though, that's it's EASILY crested 120 mph in a straightaway with no traffic, but don't try this at home... ;)

I'm sure 15's are attainable with that set-up with the right gears (I dunno, 3.91's or 4.10's?), but if you've got "normal" gearing (like 3.23's), low 16's are more realistic. Some of the "experts" could probably get into the 14's with that combo, though — it's just a matter of fine-tuning, so don't let me discourage you.

Good luck!

That's not bad at all! Yeah, I'm not gonna try that until the new steering box and sway bars go in. I'm running on a stock 7.25, so I'm not going to expect any miracles until after I change out the gears and put in a good stall converter.

Goal 1: Make it road-worth, add A/C and sway bars.

Goal 2: Interior and body work.

Goal 3: More Vroom! (Although I will admit I jumped the gun a bit with the intake.)

That's not bad at all! Yeah, I'm not gonna try that until the new steering box and sway bars go in. I'm running on a stock 7.25, so I'm not going to expect any miracles until after I change out the gears and put in a good stall converter.

Goal 3: More Vroom! (Although I will admit I jumped the gun a bit with the intake.)

I don't know what you gave for your intake:read2: but they will just go higher in price :-| So jumping the gun on it was a good move.:thumbrig:

Yeah, right. That's what I used to say!

I DARE you to try and stay out of the engine compartment. It's SO much more fun than bodywork and such... :)

I don't know what you gave for your intake:read2: but they will just go higher in price :-| So jumping the gun on it was a good move.:thumbrig:

I paid 200 for a new, never installed intake. It's two-sixty-something on J.C. Whitney, so it seemed like a fair price.

Yeah, right. That's what I used to say!

I DARE you to try and stay out of the engine compartment. It's SO much more fun than bodywork and such... :)

Yeah, yeah. I know I'm going to be eating my words soon enough. I'm already eyeing the Clifford shorty header setup and their blueprinted cylinder head package. I've got to do something to the body soon though. Got to make sure there's something left to cover the wheels!

-
Back