Seat mounts and harness

-

mechanic190

Reaction score
I have a question on my drag race build. It's not an a body but it's a 78 dodge d100 step side. I have mounted my plastic racing seat where I want it but the problem is the mounts don't line up with the crossmember on the bottom side of the cab. Being it is a pick up I cannot go to the frame and there is only one framework piece on each side where the original bench seat mounted. How can I mount the seat and be legal with the nhra rule of the seat mounting?

Another question is how to install the harness with the crotch strap and shoulder belts. Right now I have the lap belts mounted to the factory bolt holes for the original seat belts. With no roll bar what is legal to mount the shoulder belts to? I have the doubled up with the lap belts on the floor behind the seat. The crotch strap I have bolted to the floor sheet metal with big fender washers. How can o do this legally and safely? Will I plate under the floor with the crotch strap and seat bolted to it pass tech?

I have a question on my drag race build. It's not an a body but it's a 78 dodge d100 step side. I have mounted my plastic racing seat where I want it but the problem is the mounts don't line up with the crossmember on the bottom side of the cab. Being it is a pick up I cannot go to the frame and there is only one framework piece on each side where the original bench seat mounted. How can I mount the seat and be legal with the nhra rule of the seat mounting?

Another question is how to install the harness with the crotch strap and shoulder belts. Right now I have the lap belts mounted to the factory bolt holes for the original seat belts. With no roll bar what is legal to mount the shoulder belts to? I have the doubled up with the lap belts on the floor behind the seat. The crotch strap I have bolted to the floor sheet metal with big fender washers. How can o do this legally and safely? Will I plate under the floor with the crotch strap and seat bolted to it pass tech?

If you don't have a roll bar , I'm thinking your planning on staying above an 11.5 et ? If this is correct - certainly a new 5 point put in with correct angles from not only stock positions, but other reinforced spots as well. That has to be better than 35 plus year old belts that would be leagel above 11.5 ?

Yes I am shooting for 12s with this budget just to get it rolling probably 13s. What about the seat mounts not going into a crossmember or frame? Do just big fender washers under the sheet metal pass tech?

Do not install a harness without a roll bar! There is nowhere for the shoulder straps to mount. You create an unsafe situation if you use a 5 point harness without a bar. You can use the original belts or get a SFI 3" lap belt.

As far as the seat mounts - do you have aftermarket mounts? You might need to fabricate something if you feel like the current mounts are not stout enough. Might want to double check but I believe the seat mount rules only apply if you have a roll bar.

But just and example - I have fixed-back Jeep bucket seats in my Duster (no bar) using super stock style seat brackets. They are attached to the floor with grade 8 bolts and some extra washers. I use a 3" lap belt. No one has said anything to me about it.

again this is why I mention mounting them with correct angles a roll bar brings the correct angle but again I see no reason why you can't use 5 point harnesses if the correct angles are used ?

Section 6:2 in the general rules second sentence." The drivers seat must be supported on the bottom and back by the frame or crossmember. Except as noted in sfi specs, seats must be bolted with four bolts on bottom and one in the rear into crossbar; all bolts must go into frame or cross braces. "

Now in a pickup there is one small crossmember maybe an inch and half wide below the floor closer to the door than I like. Now since I am the one asking the question that in no way was asking about expired belts, how can I legally mount my seat in the pick up?

As far as my seat belt question the book says. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting,....

In no way does the rules say I cannot mount the shoulder belts to the floor where the lap belts are mounted. What qualifies as reinforced mounting? Is fender washers considered reinforced?

Copied my own post from moparts. Not getting much help over there just bickering about out of date belts. Hoping for some more useful info over here

Section 6:2 in the general rules second sentence." The drivers seat must be supported on the bottom and back by the frame or crossmember. Except as noted in sfi specs, seats must be bolted with four bolts on bottom and one in the rear into crossbar; all bolts must go into frame or cross braces. "

Again, I believe this is only referring to vehicles that have a roll bar. What car has a 'cross member' that you can attach something to? None, that I am aware of because they are referring to a roll bar. The rules in section 6.2 pertain to cars competing in classes that require a roll bar. A 12 second car does not require a roll bar so you would not be required to adhere to those rules. In plain English - if you had a roll bar or cage, you'd need to mount the seat per the rules.

Now in a pickup there is one small crossmember maybe an inch and half wide below the floor closer to the door than I like. Now since I am the one asking the question that in no way was asking about expired belts, how can I legally mount my seat in the pick up?

I realize you have an aftermarket seat/mounts so again, you need to interpret the rules as best as you can. It is a grey area because stock configuration is allowed but when you start modifying stuff then you open yourself up to interpretation. Therefore, if you have no roll bar, there is no proper way to adhere to the rules. Perhaps you might want to rethink your seat, maybe go back to a stock seat for now to avoid the hassle.

As far as my seat belt question the book says. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting,....
In no way does the rules say I cannot mount the shoulder belts to the floor where the lap belts are mounted. What qualifies as reinforced mounting? Is fender washers considered reinforced?

Again, I would not mount a 5 point harness to the floor. The rear straps need to be at a certain angle which usually coincide with the height of the main hoop crossbar. In your case with no bar, that would likely be through the back of the cab. There is a reason a roll bar is measured with you in the car so whoever fabs it knows where to put the cross bar and how high your shoulders are when you are sitting in driving position.

I think you will find inspectors don't look that close. My dart has the seat mounted to the floorboards by four bolts going thru the sheetmetal and four inch diameter washers. Nothing from the seat back to the crossbar. Seatbelts to the stock mounts,crotch to another four inch washer and shoulders to the crossbar. Been like this for twentyfive+ years. If an inspector spots something not complying to the rules,they often tell you to change it before you come back and will let you run. Things like missing lugs,wire battery tie downs,leaks and no catch can will get you rejected. Remember,this is a business/job for them. They want spectators and love participants and want to keep their jobs.

I think you will find inspectors don't look that close. Remember,this is a business/job for them. They want spectators and love participants and want to keep their jobs.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Most tech guys at the track are volunteers or work at the track doing other things. It's not a high paying job if at all but more of an honor type thing.

In any event, no one should take tech inspection lightly. It's there for a reason, you and other racer's safety period. Do guys let stuff slide? Sure but why go into a situation knowing you are trying to get one over? What if something goes wrong and you or someone else gets hurt and it gets traced back to your decision? Ultimately you are responsible for your car and it's equipment, it's up to you how you roll.

Yes, race tracks want participation and spectators filing the stands but not at the expense of life and limb.

That's a bit extreme don't you think? Hardly what I meant. But if your smart enough to put together a fast car your smart enough to know what the rules are meant for. But rules can be read many ways and what i'am saying is that tech will work with you to get you car legal in their interpretation of the rules.

PLEASE do not mount your shoulder straps to the floor. Technically it is legal but it's a bad idea. In the event of an accident, as your body moves forward the belt will pull down on your shoulders and potentially crush your spine.

If you want to use a 5 point harness you need to have either a rollbar or harness bar.

One more thing. This guy had his belts through the floor with washers. They ripped out during the accident and almost got him killed.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uud7rcwhI5U[/ame]

go to the nhra rulebook sticky above stroll down to section 20 page 21 rule 4:10 then down to page 45 rule 10:11. hopefully that should answer your questions.

One more thing. This guy had his belts through the floor with washers. They ripped out during the accident and almost got him killed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uud7rcwhI5U

is this some kind of scare tactic video? I mean the video is very old and we've all seen it. I'm a structural engineer and will only believe this if you can prove that you were there that day or you know the guy or you seen the inside of the car personally.
and really who's to say that him coming out of the seat belt didn't save his life?:happy1:

-
Back