Securement to trailer

-

smlblk318

Reaction score
What is the best way to secure my 72 Dart to my trailer? It's a wooden deck with stake pockets down each side. I've been using straps on the wheels but am afraid of damaging the new tires I'm getting from doing so. Any frame or suspension points I can use?

Bumper brackets. Lower control arms.
Be careful using rear axle, that you don't wrap around any brake lines.

And I will start the war. Put tie downs fore and aft. Run ties as straight and short as possible. DO NOT cross them side to side, WHY?

Because if you cross a tie, the load can "walk" enough sideways with the diagonal ties that it will generate slack and then can move for or aft and get even more slack

With fore/aft ties and you break one, say one rear, the two fronts will still work against the one remaining rear tie.

I know, I KNOW Many will say "run them for years and no trouble. That's right, UNTIL you break/ lose on/ comes loose. and then the load is loose.

I strap around the rear axle, or run a chain around in front of the axle, over the rear springs. Up front, the LCAs

So this is the configuration I have currently. Seems ok but kinda crushes the tire when tightened. How loose can they be? Perhaps 1 or 2 clicks before tire deformation? Should I really spend the $ to get axle straps to tie down at the suspension? Not meaning to sound dumb but crawling around under the car to hook up doesn't sound like much fun.

PXL_20230813_181613786.jpg

PXL_20230813_181556879.jpg

If that's your only tie-down points, I wouldn't want to be following behind you.
It may not sound like fun, but crawling under there and finding secure points at frame/suspension to secure your load is a lot better than scraping your car off a guardrail or out of a ravine.

On a normal sitting Duster or pickup, I use these around the axle and put ratchet strap hooks from this to trailer, and I don't cross them either. On the front, bumper brackets or frame and I actually use these straps on the front as well. I stay away from the front-end suspension components. Mine aren't this specific brand but the same thing.
1691961657598.png

Search for stake-pocket D rings, best thing since sliced bread, to attach a strap to a trailer.

Search for stake-pocket D rings, best thing since sliced bread, to attach a strap to a trailer.
I bought D rings for my trailer, but didn't install yet. I want STake pocket D rings instead. Currently have chains around the corner stakes and I hook to the chains.

I bought these for my trailer, just need to get them installed.
They are so nice, my buddy came over and borrowed mine, to use on his trailer.
Beware there are two different sizes, make sure you have the right ones.

They are so nice, my buddy came over and borrowed mine, to use on his trailer.
Beware there are two different sizes, make sure you have the right ones.
I had to edit my post - I didn't say what I meant to say :D

I bought D rings for my trailer, but didn't install yet. I want STake pocket D rings instead. Currently have chains around the corner stakes and I hook to the chains.
I used the chains on the stakes years ago, it just sucked balls, and I put regular D rings on my trailer, not good, my trailer has a wood deck, they rotted the wood out, after about 10 years.
Stake pocket D rings are a win, with heavy clasp straps on all corners, or a chain on the rear, with two straps up front, using the short axle straps.

If that's your only tie-down points, I wouldn't want to be following behind you.
It may not sound like fun, but crawling under there and finding secure points at frame/suspension to secure your load is a lot better than scraping your car off a guardrail or out of a ravine.
I also run a bridle attached to the frame from my winch, and always set parking brake. Still might look into another idea based on the replies to my post.

I did and found numerous options, only issue is my stake pockets are huge! (Around 5-5.5 inches across the inside) plus I see no suitable tie down points on the subframes of the car.

I always used ratchet straps hooked to frame of trailer, front and rear. I used 2 straps in rear, one on each side of axle housing. No brake line concern on mine. I used a single ratchet strap in front around K frame hooking to 2 points on front trailer frame. Not having seen your trailer frame I cannot say for sure what works for you. I never needed stake pockets or D rings. I would hook directly to frame if possible.

I always used ratchet straps hooked to frame of trailer, front and rear. I used 2 straps in rear, one on each side of axle housing. No brake line concern on mine. I used a single ratchet strap in front around K frame hooking to 2 points on front trailer frame. Not having seen your trailer frame I cannot say for sure what works for you. I never needed stake pockets or D rings. I would hook directly to frame if possible.
I have several of these along the sides of the trailer. No other attachment points really. See photos earlier in thread for better view.

PXL_20230813_223623377.jpg

I have several of these along the sides of the trailer. No other attachment points really. See photos earlier in thread for better view.

I never hooked anything to the side of trailer and never wanted to. Front and rear of trailer frame should allow you to hook. But like I said, I haven't seen your trailer.

I use two ratchet straps to front k member/welded tow loops/ front axle with straps (depending on which race car). I use two rear axle straps with ratchet straps on the back.
Agree with 67dart273. As short as possible, and always straight.

But my trailer is an open steel bed. I don't have to deal with the difficulties of a wood bed trailer. Frankly, I would weld on tie-down loops wherever I wanted them, and use that.
I wouldn't worry a moment about the tire straps damaging your tires. If a lousy little ratchet strap can damage your tire, you've got the WRONG tires!

I welded two D-rings at the front of my trailer and use a bar that welded to the back of the trailer. I use ratchet straps with axle straps at the rear and ratchet straps at the front with the hoos on the K-member. With that said, I don't believe you are going to hurt the tires with the straps that you have.

Mine tie down straps and axle straps are probably over kill. I bit the bullet and bought the Kevlar sewn ratchet straps and my axle straps have Kevlar sleeves on them that slide so I can position them so no holes are rubbed in the straps.

I wouldn't worry a moment about the tire straps damaging your tires. If a lousy little ratchet strap can damage your tire, you've got the WRONG tires!
So you don't think it's possible to break the belts in a tire from overtightened straps?

I welded two D-rings at the front of my trailer and use a bar that welded to the back of the trailer. I use ratchet straps with axle straps at the rear and ratchet straps at the front with the hoos on the K-member. With that said, I don't believe you are going to hurt the tires with the straps that you have.
Was just concerned about breaking the belts from crushing the tire with the straps. Maybe I just have them to tight.

I use 4 ratchet straps, the 2 fronts crossed, and both go to the frame of the trailer and around the LCA with axle straps. In the rear I use axle straps, and go straight back with my ratchet straps and around the rear frame of the trailer. If I’m hauling a long way, I will sometimes use my recovery chain hooked around the K frame and chained to the front crossbar, just for added piece of mind.

-
Back