seized 440 need help

-

uk-barracuda

Reaction score
my uncle has a chrysler newport. 1969. he has put a 440 in it, engine all connected and was running fine. a hydraulic lifter was tapping, so my uncle changed the oil, and put duckems in. started fine, and was running fine, came to start it again, and wouldnt turn over. so were pretty sure its seized

but why should it seize just all of a sudden. oil pressure light was on.

any advice would be helpful. dont no alot about the 440's

cheers

"The oil pressure light was on" says it all. Running with 0 oil pressure = a seized engine.

The engine will need to come out.

Engines are fairly complex with lots of moving parts. Kind of hard to sit at a keyboard without any information and tell you what happened to that engine. If it did seize then a likely suspect would be the oil pump driveshaft but there are dozens of other possible explanations.

"The oil pressure light was on" says it all. Running with 0 oil pressure = a seized engine.

The engine will need to come out.

I agree, even if you did get it to turn again, there is more than likely some damage already done that needs to be fixed before running it.

Pull the dipstick and look at it and you'll be able to tell if the engine has seized up or not. Or take the oil cap off the valve cover and take a sniff. It takes a lot of heat to seize an engine so you can usually smell them.

Probably spun a main or more than likely a rod bearing. That light is there for a reason, it only takes about 7 psi to turn it off. BB were common to send a pushrod thru a rocker arm and then kick a lifter out of its hole, the results is no oil preasure.

abit of an update

my uncle went to start the car today. fired up 1st time. no problems, my uncle thinks when he drained the oil out and flushed it, the old oil has blocked a pipe as it was thick stuff. and why the oil pressure light is on.

the engine has been stood for well over 12months. engine has only just been put in this past 2 week.

but i would of thought that it could be the oil pump.

any suggestion would be greatfull

cheers

abit of an update

my uncle went to start the car today. fired up 1st time. no problems, my uncle thinks when he drained the oil out and flushed it, the old oil has blocked a pipe as it was thick stuff. and why the oil pressure light is on.

the engine has been stood for well over 12months. engine has only just been put in this past 2 week.

but i would of thought that it could be the oil pump.

any suggestion would be greatfull

cheers

The other weekend I fired up on of my old junker crew cabs with a 440 in it that hadn't been started in over 2 years, primed the carb and hit the key, it was running with in 3 revolutions and had 55 psi oil press.

IF I was you I would install a manual oil presure gauge, see if you can borrow on from a friend. Then see what the reading is on it.

Could be lots of things such as a stuck relief valve, a bad oil filter, a bad gauge, etc. You either have an oil pressure problem or you don't. Figure that out first and then go from there. Solving problems is easier if you just try to think about the problem first.

wait a minute... so is it seized or not? the first post said you thought it was seized... it now sounds like it is not seized but you are not sure if you have oil pressure or not, is that the case?

the other weekend i fired up on of my old junker crew cabs with a 440 in it that hadn't been started in over 2 years, primed the carb and hit the key, it was running with in 3 revolutions and had 55 psi oil press.

If i was you i would install a manual oil presure gauge, see if you can borrow on from a friend. Then see what the reading is on it.

x2

LOL good one green1. I agree, it stalled with a bad starter.:poke:

dint explain myself properly sorry.

engine was running fine, he changed the oil and then it was still running fine, came to try it again and engine would not turn over. then he came to try it again yesturday and it fired up.

also there is no oil pressure.

oil pump ????

also could it be electrical, oil gauge couldnt be wired up propery, ???

the first thing I would do is pull the dis.and manually prime it with a gage on it......iv never had a big block fail to have oil psi.

dint explain myself properly sorry.

engine was running fine, he changed the oil and then it was still running fine, came to try it again and engine would not turn over. then he came to try it again yesturday and it fired up.

also there is no oil pressure.

oil pump ????

also could it be electrical, oil gauge couldnt be wired up propery, ???

Sorry, but WHAT PART of "put a manual oil pressure gauge on it" don't you understand??????? It's been said to do that here a number of times.

It happens to me once, that the oil pump shaft splits in 2 and cuz a litlle pice of rust from an overlook rusted windage tray stuck in the oil pump, and sized the pump spliting the shaft in 2, and no oil preasure, good thing i just caught it in a second and shut it off til change the windage tray and the oil pump after cleaning the engine inside and out!

By the way MECHANICAL OIL GAUGE IS A MUST IN ANY PERFORMANCE ENGINE IN A VISIBLE PLACE

-
Back