Shaft seal replacement

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
I just noticed on the lift today that my 4 speed reverse shaft seal appears to have a slight leak. Do you know where I can buy the seals and can they be replaced without removing the trans? Thanks for your help.

Has to come out . Best way is to turn the tail shaft and press out the pin holding the reverse gear. . You may get lucky and not rip the gasket. But if it was mine I would Tear it down reseal it and take a look inside. Unless it was just rebuilt.

Has to come out . Best way is to turn the tail shaft and press out the pin holding the reverse gear. . You may get lucky and not rip the gasket. But if it was mine I would Tear it down reseal it and take a look inside. Unless it was just rebuilt.
Not trying to pick a fight here, but are you suggesting to pull the tail with the main box still on the BH? I mean I guess that is doable, altho I've never tried it. It would sure save time!
But how the heck do you remove the idler-pin? if you can't beat it out from the front. Did you make a tool? I'd be interested to see how that tool works with the cluster still in there..
Just trying to learn something new

You dont have to pull the tail. just free it up and turn it. The reverse pin is pushed out with a bolt and a long threaded nut used as a pusher, I'll get a picture of it when I get to the shop. The rest of the trans tools I bought from Dan at Brewers.

I also install the complete assembly including the input and bearing from the back as an assembly, With the cluster laying in the case, Then put the cluster in place . This is all done with the tail shaft turned, I have a turnable trans holder for the engine stand.

Here is the tool I use

100_0070.JPG

100_0071.JPG

Ah, yes; I made a tool similar to that, many decades ago.
But I have never tried to do the job you described,
Mostly cuz;
my personal record for taking my all-aluminum A833 down, is 17 minutes.
That includes dropping the 3" dual exhaust, the driveshaft, the shifter;
splitting off the GVod, blocking up the engine, and dropping the crossmember, etc.
That does not include draining it.
This was done on a 4-post lift, with all the required tools already on the tool cart.
This was the third time that week, and so, with the practice, it was the quickest. I had tried it, the first time, with the GVod still attached, but with the extra weight, and awkwardness, that required a helper. Whereas, by comparison, the all-alloy box by itself, I could take down by myself. IIRC that box is around 85 pounds, plus oil?
Oh to be young again.

Why you ask?
Well, I was gung-ho to make synthetic oil shift faster than DextronII. After three unsuccessful attempts, I took the trans down one more time, and washed all that chit out.
With all the changes I had made, the trans, now with a 50/50 recipe of Dextron to EP oil, shifted like greased lightning. It has Not been down since.

-
Back