Shifter adjustment(Hurst promatic 2)

-

Piston_Freddy

Reaction score
I bought a '68 Charger with a Hurst promatic 2 shifter installed.Problem is that I have to move the shifter twice to get it into 2nd gear and I have to pull it up to get it in to neutral.

Stock mopar,chebby,phord and mopar level.It has the welded one on.Is that the correct level that comes with the kit?
IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

In witch gear the level hole and cable thingy have to be at the same spot? I tried once to adjust it with no success.Any ideas? Thanks!

Nobody else has a promatic 2 shifter? I need to know if I have the right shift selector arm.

I can't adjust it like this when in all gears

IMG_0354.jpg

it will be like this

IMG_0347.jpg

or this way
IMG_0356.jpg

So is that welded shift selector arm right one that comes with the kit?

I just installed the Promatic 2 in my Dart a few months ago.

I believe the lever with the weld is the correct one. As far as adjustment, if I remember right the instructions tell you to ratchet the shifter down into 1st gear position, then get under the car and move the lever on the tranny all the way towards the rear, which should be 1st gear. Then adjust the cable so the pin drops into the hole in the lever.

I adjusted mine by using the two nuts where the cable is mounted to the bracket on the trans. By moving both nuts one direction or the other on the cable housing you can move the whole cable including the pin forward or backward.

I got mine where I thought it was right and it dropped right in, but then it shifted a little weird, wouldn't quite go into nuetral, adjusted the cable again, and it works fine now.

Good luck.

had same issues i adjusted 52 ways till sunday still dont have it right ... mine shifts fine just wont start in park or neutral .... even called teck line ..he said small adjustments till right ok still adjusting still lifting the hood to start also pain in the a@@

I just bought one but havent installed it yet. But according to the instructions ( which you can download from Hurst's website ) the welded one is GM. You should have one that is just like the factory, it slips over the splined shaft and gets squeezed with a bolt at the top.

In your second link, bracket A is the correct one, lever F is the correct one. I just installed one in my car a few weeks ago and had the same symptoms you are describing. A second adjustment cleared it right up.

Like MHD said, move the lever on the trans to first, move the shifter to first. The cable should drop in freely and then adjust the 2 nuts on the bracket to hold it there.

Edit: I can't see the end of the cable, but mine had threads with a little piece that threaded on there and that is what dropped in the shifter lever.

had same issues i adjusted 52 ways till sunday still dont have it right ... mine shifts fine just wont start in park or neutral .... even called teck line ..he said small adjustments till right ok still adjusting still lifting the hood to start also pain in the a@@

Is your NSS still in the trans? If so it should work as it normally would. You might have other issues.

In your second link, bracket A is the correct one, lever F is the correct one. I just installed one in my car a few weeks ago and had the same symptoms you are describing. A second adjustment cleared it right up.

That's someones picture I found in this forum. Yes I already have the A bracket, but I have the wrong trans arm, now I need to find that F arm from somewhere and hope it fixes the problem.Thanks everyone!

-
Back