Shifter rods... oy

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
So the trans I bought came with an old set of rusty rods that did not look correct. Last year I bought a newer set from a local guy that said was from his 71 A body, however, I did not verify just took his word because i know him and I am stupid sometimes.

Anyway, looking at these pics vs install pics I stole off the forum and pics of the set brewers sells there is no way these are 74 down A body?

Before I do third times a charm, just looking for confirm?

Also, I want to keep going with install, is it possible to install the shifter and rod set with the trans installed?

I cannot believe I did not verify something this critical before starting my install, I mean I only had the parts for 2 years lol

IMG_2952.jpeg

IMG_2951.jpeg

I would try the second rusty ones. Install the shifter plate on the trans then the trans into your car. Next the shifter and the shift rods. The third set also looks right.

This is my transmission. A body four speed, Hurst Competition shifter. Hope it helps.

IMG_4169.jpg

The ones in the pic with the shoes in it actually look right to me.
You may not have the right shifter plate, there are several to choose from and only one is correct for an A-body. Brewers has the pics.

If you like, since yur only an hour and change from me, you can come down and see how your parts fit on my 4-speed, I have several plates we can mess with.
Also, I want to keep going with install, is it possible to install the shifter and rod set with the trans installed
Generally, if the engine is already installed, then the trans cannot be installed with the shifter on it. If your tunnel is factory, then the shifter is easily installed afterwards.

The second pic with the rusty ones look correct. Make sure you have them orientated properly.

20230127_143315.jpg

Be careful mixing the rods with the lever arms. I played this game in '06 and found out real fast that some of the holes in shifter linkage arms are smaller than others.
And they're hardened.

I bought the correct set from Brewers, so I wait. For the price and this far in, I would rather do it right than mickey mouse around

Naw keep it cold, I have driven more farther than that for a beer! I would like to bring the new set over your way to see how they go on, would save me alot of frustration

Naw keep it cold, I have driven more farther than that for a beer! I would like to bring the new set over your way to see how they go on, would save me alot of frustration

Take a truck, or trailer, you'll likely end up with more than you imagined . lol .
Cheer's

so in my haste…. Again…. I didn’t order new levers as I thought the kit came with…

So, these are what I have. The 1/2 looks different in what brewers has on their website for a body in that tge groove that slips on trans is at an angle on mine, and straight on theirs

Will these work?

Or am I paying shipping to Canada again and waiting two weeks lol

IMG_2957.jpeg

Ok here is what I have so far…. Let me know if something jumps out…

On the 3/4 lever, having it the other way meant adjusted to the end with some threads actually disappearing which I didn’t like. This way, it’s adjusted as far as it can go on… I think I will source the correct piece.

Anyway, thoughts?

I need to order the proper flange nuts… and I know why my rusty rods came with regular clips, those real ones fly if you’re not careful lol

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "On the 3/4 lever, having it the other way meant adjusted to the end with some threads actually disappearing which I didn’t like.". You mean you ran out of adjustment? Is the 3/4 rod the correct length?

I see you are looking for another lever. The one in your post looks right?

The 3/4 lever I have is wrong, it is from an OD trans. The slot the goes on the trans is slanted where it needs to be straight up and down based on the pic on Brewers website for the 3/4 lever.

If I have it facing toward back of car, I have to adjust the rod to where it runs out of thread and is against the rod itself. If I have it the other way, I almost run out of threads as in the adjustment knob is close to coming right off.

I think this will work, in the pic that Duster440 posted his looks exactly like mine does right now with the 3/4 lever leaning further toward back of car.

-
Back