Shifter

-

scatpakman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on shifters. I have 560HP 68 Dart. Using the stock shifter and looking to upgrade. What do like & why.

auto or manual?
column or floor?
street and strip?
or race only?

Last edited:
My vote is for the B&M Pro Ratchet. I've used the stock floor shifter and a Hurst before switching to the B&M. I didn't like the Hurst because you had to pull a lever to put in 3rd gear otherwise it was ok for street cruising. The B&M is a nice quick ratchet into each gear

Do you have a factory console in the car? is it reverse manual or forward shift? If it has a console and forward shift find a 70 e-body slap stick and install your shifter handle . It would look factory but be a slap stick.

I've always liked the.B&M quick silver...
Looks good and easy to use...

For a primarily strip car, I like the B&M pro ratchet too. I have two, and I like em. Some people don't like to deal with the ratchet only action, and reverse lockout mandated by nhra. And they have doubled in price since the last one I bought..
For a street/strip, I always recommend a Winters sidewinder. They are bulky, but they are bulletproof. They are a gate style shifter, they have been around for fifty years at least, they are cable rear entry, to keep it away from header heat, come with a console, unlike the turbo action cheetah. They are a specific to 727/904, unlike a fits-all shifter, available in forward or reverse pattern.
A Winters is basically almost the same shifter as a cheetah...... only almost $300 cheaper, and just as quality.

Do you have a factory console in the car? is it reverse manual or forward shift? If it has a console and forward shift find a 70 e-body slap stick and install your shifter handle . It would look factory but be a slap stick.
The E-body slap stik was my favorite auto factory shifter

Another nod for a Winters shifter .heavy duty , quality cable and shifter :thumbsup:

I like and use this one.
Small,short throw,easy to use.

Screenshot_20230607_123838_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Like my turbo action cheetah, it’s nice you can incorporate switches in the console of it. Mine has fuel pump water pump and fan switches I use on it.
have used hurst quarter stick in the past and that is fine too, but now like the cheetah better because of it being all in one type deal

I
For a primarily strip car, I like the B&M pro ratchet too. I have two, and I like em. Some people don't like to deal with the ratchet only action, and reverse lockout mandated by nhra. And they have doubled in price since the last one I bought..
For a street/strip, I always recommend a Winters sidewinder. They are bulky, but they are bulletproof. They are a gate style shifter, they have been around for fifty years at least, they are cable rear entry, to keep it away from header heat, come with a console, unlike the turbo action cheetah. They are a specific to 727/904, unlike a fits-all shifter, available in forward or reverse pattern.
A Winters is basically almost the same shifter as a cheetah...... only almost $300 cheaper, and just as quality.
had a b-m pro ratchet in my 600 horse vega and hated it !!!
turbo action cheeta in my barracuda , takes some getting use to , but like it ...moved back 5'' in the stock console ..

I

had a b-m pro ratchet in my 600 horse vega and hated it !!!
turbo action cheeta in my barracuda , takes some getting use to , but like it ...moved back 5'' in the stock console ..
To each his own. Thats maybe why there is more than one shifter available, lol.
I had a cheetah in my car too. Driver error was too easy, rmvb too easy to go 1,3,2,3. Moved the cheetah into my powerglide car, put in a ratchet, never missed 2nd gear again.
Edit. Had to change the top plate for glide use on the cheetah. No big deal. I have the switch console in the glide car too, use most of the switches and the start button.

Last edited:
To each his own. Thats maybe why there is more than one shifter available, lol.
I had a cheetah in my car too. Driver error was too easy, rmvb too easy to go 1,3,2,3. Moved the cheetah into my powerglide car, put in a ratchet, never missed 2nd gear again.
Edit. Had to change the top plate for glide use on the cheetah. No big deal. I have the switch console in the glide car too, use most of the switches and the start button.

I have found with my Cheetah, when I launch the car I just have my hand just above the shifter, and merely tap it, goes into second, then I put my hand on it and pull it into third.
don’t have any issues like that at all. The features and switch( es) offsets any negatives.
like anything else, just involves having a routine. I try and do the exact same thing every lap, that said, sometimes I still suck…lol

I have found with my Cheetah, when I launch the car I just have my hand just above the shifter, and merely tap it, goes into second, then I put my hand on it and pull it into third.
don’t have any issues like that at all. The features and switch( es) offsets any negatives.
like anything else, just involves having a routine. I try and do the exact same thing every lap, that said, sometimes I still suck…lol
Thats exactly how its supposed to work, and if I concentrated on NOT pulling on the handle for the one-two, it performed flawlessly. Tap down, or push right and down, perfect. Unfortunately, I wasn't flawless. The ratchet defeated my incompetence.
Even i couldn't screw up with the cheetah and the glide. One and done.

Great shifter, but what $7-800 bucks? I like my ratchet, and it cost $200 when I bought it. My cheetah was about $275. Both have doubled in price since. Makes that PPP look a little better.
Not that much actually, still reasonably priced, but you do have to add $90 for the shift lever and cable bracket (mounts on pan rail) and whatever cable needed for about another $70 so all in that version is under $500.

A4510618-77B0-41CE-B535-77727571441C.png

Well you said “street”/strip so the sloppy T/A might be right up your alley. The T/A-Winters is a gear selector, not a shifter. If you’ve owned a T/A and raced, you’ve lived the ole 1-3 slip. In my case it made the 1-2 shift on its own when I released the trans brake. The rooster comb on the valve body is the only thing holding its position so in my case the T/A shifter sucked for racing.
Actually in my street days I preferred the Hurst Promatic 2.
I currently have a PPP reverse pattern clean N with air shift. great race shifter, but I think it would be a bit cumbersome for street duty. I also skipped their cable bracket as it interferes with my CSR shield straps. Made this mount which swapped nicely between my 727 or 904.

4B9A1D82-542C-4530-ADD4-307A8B6E5DAB.jpeg

-
Back