Shim converter??

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
So do any of you guys ever shim the converter if when you go to tighten it up it looks like it wants to pull the converter to the flex plate about 1/8" or so? Putting my scrap back together and I used a spacer that was about 1/16" to take up some gap, haven't slept great since so I have to ask is this okay? The bolts all torqued down fine BTW.

!! NO !!. Normal for the torque converter to move back a little when the bolts are all out

You should be able to pull the converter forward into the crank and against the flexplate. In other words, even unbolted from the flexplate, the converter bolt lugs should be touching the flexplate. The flexplate should not be bent onto the converter when bolting it together.

If necessary, it is possible to use spacers. But it usually means that the converter snout is too long or some other issue that is causing the converter to bottom out in the back of the crank before touching the perimeter of the flexplate.

I have used 2 flat washer between the flexplate and converter when using a midplate. I don't recall if I still use one washer now in a regular configuration or not. It's been a while since I've had it apart. But you may need to use a longer bolt to insure enough thread engagement.

The converter does have a bit of "travel" on the input splines. But it should also not be allowed to bottom out on the transmission shafts/in the pump.

I wouldn't sleep good either! If this is a factory setup, shims are not to be used. If the converter won't go into the end of the crank, you need to find out why. If the flex plate is bent, replace it.

Nothing is bent. It's a B&M flex plate and a turbo action converter with the ford style hub (2 machined flat spots rather than slots) The trans is a built 904. The reason I did it is because the man I bought it from told me to watch how far the converter pulls forward so it doesn't pull out of the pump, he had shimmed his setup before and that was a 9.1 sec SBM car. So I guess I'll be pulling the shims out and let it snug up to the flex plate ??? Thanks much. edit, the converter slides into the crank like it should. Also I shimmed all 4 bolts with the same shims so everything is kept even.

-
Back