Shock ripped off mount! Rear! Advice needed

-

Speedotann

Reaction score
Hello all, My Shock ripped off mount (were the trunk mounts are)! The guy I bought it from welded tabs to the axle but used the stock length shocks. You can imagine what happened when he went through a dip. Should I keep the tabs on the axle or go with the stock spring mounts. If I keep the tabs, does anyone know of any shorter (cost effective) shocks for the rear 1973 Duster?

Thanks
B

stock mount plate...if i am getting you right he welded the bottom tabs and moved the shocks..(why) any pic..

stock mount plate...if i am getting you right he welded the bottom tabs and moved the shocks..(why) any pic..

The shock was mounted on top of the axle instead of the stock position. The lack of compression from the now super long shock sheered off were it connects to the trunk. I'll get a pic tomorrow

Thanks
B

Why the hell would someone do something like this?
To lift up the rear of the car?
Jeez!
I gotta see the pics of this.
Advice?
Mount the shock where it's supposed to be from the factory and use the proper length shock.
Repair the upper shock mount as needed.

We need more info.
Are these coil-overs, are there leaf springs?
RJ and I have been dealing with the change over to Coil overs and the upper shock mounts were NEVER meant to support the full weight of the rear end of the car.
Check his thread out: Cool pics of my demon,
My thread; Birth of the blue missile
Both of us have dealt with the issue in slightly different ways.
He did individual reinforcements, I did a frame to frame single piece with both attachments.
Andrew

Here guys, Look what this guy I bought it from did!!

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

So I guess the shocks were too long. So what are your plans to repair the mounts?

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but look at what I started with on my dart. Yours looks professional compared to what I started with. Check this out. The previous owner decided to eliminate the swing shackles completely and weld the springs solid to the frame. Check out these solid welds.

The car now has minitubs, parallel 4-link, coilovers and narrowed rear. So it all worked out.

Stupid.jpg

Stupid1.jpg

Stupid2.jpg

So I guess the shocks were too long. So what are your plans to repair the mounts?

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but look at what I started with on my dart. Yours looks professional compared to what I started with. Check this out. The previous owner decided to eliminate the swing shackles completely and weld the springs solid to the frame. Check out these solid welds.

The car now has minitubs, parallel 4-link, coilovers and narrowed rear. So it all worked out.

Now I do not feel so alone!! LoL!

Well my plans are to put the stock lower shock mounts on (just got some off ebay) Use the stock KYB's and weld steel plates to were the rip is in the trunk mount. I plan on doing this to the inside of the trunk as well (driver and passenger side). What do you think? Is that a possible solution. I have limited $$$$ (Grad student) and my abilities in welding department is so so. I know a guy that will help me (smartest most skilled fabricator I have ever seen) Any Advice would be awesome? I wanna do it right. Thanks for everything guys!!!

B

this car must sit up high in the air,,,the leafs are on top like in a 4x4

Thats some fine jack leg work for sure. Upper mount looks pretty chewed up but should be repairable. It looks like somebody didn't want to spend money on shock mount plates. Great pictures on what not to do and look out for.

Thats some fine jack leg work for sure. Upper mount looks pretty chewed up but should be repairable. It looks like somebody didn't want to spend money on shock mount plates. Great pictures on what not to do and look out for.

I believe the car was a two person high school project and then sold to the guy I bought it from. If you notice the tabs on the axle are not even fully welded in, The inside has no weld.. surprised those did not rip off first... Not sure who was the master engineer on that one!! LOL

Any Ideas on a repair? I have the shock plates.

Thanks

B

Are there really people out there that do this stuff???...unbelievable hackers...........

you said you had a friend that is a welder fabricator. That repair should be a piece of cake for him if he really knows what hes doing.So you don't have anything to worry about

I have a '75 Duster parts car I would be willing to cut out a portion (or all) of that box with the upper shock mounts. You could replace that pretty easily. If interested, shoot me a PM.
C

Thanks everyone, Once again it is raining in socal!! So I guess I cannot work on it today :angry7:! I will talk to my guy tonight over 1 or 12 beers and I will get him to put my car up on his lift! If it doesn't work out I will send you a PM Chlyer. Thanks again... You guys are keeping me sane for now!

B

Some one here should have the stock shock mount plates you need. Put them on and cut off that mess and be done with it the right way.

I dont know what it is about the later years of the duster, 73-76 my shock mounts were also torn apart and i have to pay 42 an hour to have them fixed and have the interior part of the trunk reinforced.

-
Back