Shocked when I weighed my '68 Barracuda convertible.

-
My 68 S-clone is about 3450 without me. Eddie-headed360,P/S, P/B KHs, Alum 4-spd w/ GV-od, 8.75, Full 3" TTI system and Dynomax tanks,full interior,alum wheels . No a/c. I can get 200lbs out of it pretty easily though,on track day.

My 67 notch is 2970 without me in it. 340, 904, full interior, borg warner lsd diff, full exhaust & steel wheels. Seems pretty light compared to most of the others here but I am lucky I guess.

My Dart weighted 3420 in full street trim with me in it, that was with a iron headed SM 904 trans, 8 3/4, chrome molly roll bar full exhaust spare tire jack fiberglass hood and front bumper.
Seemed too heavy to me, are Dusters ,Demons and 67-69 Valliant's any lighter than the Darts?

Yes they are. Since they are 3" shorter, the 108" wheelbase cars are always lighter.

I stopped by a local recycler and weighed my 1968 Barracuda convertible with a newly installed injected, aluminum-headed 408"-stroked 5.9 Magnum, automatic overdrive w/ lock-up converter, A/C, 4 wheel disc w/ big bolt pattern wheels, 8 3/4 rearend and a full tank of gas + spare.

The first scale I drove on showed the car at 3750lbs. In disbelief, I drove over to a second scale which showed it at 3700lbs. Both the above weights are without driver or passengers.

I had assumed it was in the 3000lbs range, but was shocked to see the weight penalties of all my modifications. The car was originally a slant 6 powered ride that didn't go, stop or corner well. As heavy as it is now, the car is quick, fast, handles, stops, corners great and rides smooth.

A 1968 Barracuda 'convertible', with a 383 and Torque-Flite.

* Factory Listed Shipping Weight ........... #3285 lbs.
* Factory Curb Weight .......................... #3426 lbs.

Add in a 'few' accessories {+125 lbs.}, and your close to #3550 lbs.

Now that is with only {3 Gallons of Gasoline}, and not including Disc Brakes,
Undercoating and some 'hidden' incidentals.

Add in another 13 Gallons of Gasoline, and that adds an additional +80 lbs.

Now you're at #3630 lbs., without a Human in the car.

nothin new......I'm always shocked when I get on the scales too....168 my a$$

My stock 70 Swinger-340,4spd, PDB,Ps, Radio delete, bench,was track-weighed at 3330 with me in it. At that time,1971, I was 130. So thats a net of 3200. I dont recall how much gas was in it, but I bet it was just enough for a couple of passes and the trip back home (about a half hour). They put me in H/stock,IIRC.I got a trophy that day, going [email protected]

Thanks guys. Great information. After reading these comments, it seems that the car's weight is in line with what I should have expected.

It sure sticks to the road well at this weight. When I had the slant 6 in it, I could feel the whole car doing a 4-wheel-slide through the high speed sweeping turns at Willow Springs. Now the car feels much more planted on the road...except for the rear end under throttle these days. :burnout:

Attachments

• B4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 205
Those 1967 thru 1969 A-Body 'Convertibles'

* Extra sub-frame support
* Heavy gage sub-flooring
* Thicker seat-box frames
* Torque-boxes
* Sub-floor cross-brace
* Brace tabs
* Heavier lower pillar frames {A and C}
* Thicker door pillar {Center of Car}
* Galvanized rocker-panels
* Heavier gage Firewall frame
* Welds
* Diagonal rear-seat cross brace
* Power motor for 'Convertible-Top'

I've removed my backseat too. I think it was about 1000 lbs. lol. Actually IIRC that fold down seat was 64#.

On the 68 Barracuda or the 70 Swinger?....

My 68 S-clone is about 3450 without me. Eddie-headed360,P/S, P/B KHs, Alum 4-spd w/ GV-od, 8.75, Full 3" TTI system and Dynomax tanks,full interior,alum wheels . No a/c. I can get 200lbs out of it pretty easily though,on track day.

Those 1967 thru 1969 A-Body 'Convertibles'

* Extra sub-frame support
* Heavy gauge sub-flooring
* Thicker seat-box frames
* Front Torque-boxes
* Rear Torque-boxes
* Sub-floor cross-brace
* Brace tabs
* Heavier lower pillar frames {A and C}
* Thicker door pillar {Center of Car}
* Galvanized rocker-panels
* Heavier gauge Firewall frame
* Welds
* Diagonal rear-seat cross brace
* Power motor for 'Convertible-Top'

That could be a few extra pounds.........:)

1968 Plymouth Barracuda 383-S ........... Shipping Weight
* 'Notchback' .......................................... #3161 lbs.
* 'Convertible' ......................................... #3285 lbs.

Find {and list} the additional +124 lbs. above.

More Confusion > All 1968 Barracuda 383-S 'Convertibles' were required to have >
* {Code 479} ... Front Disc Brakes
* {Code 591} ... 46-Amp Alternator
* {Code 627} ... 59-Amp Battery
* Bucket Seats
* Console {Required with Torque-Flite Automatic Transmission}

These 'Mandatory Options' were not calculated into the Shipping Weight.

That could be a few extra pounds.........:)

1968 Plymouth Barracuda 383-S ........... Shipping Weight
* 'Notchback' .......................................... #3161 lbs.
* 'Convertible' ......................................... #3285 lbs.

Find the additional 124 lbs.

I turned mine into a finished interior business coupe, hope my rear seat weighed a 1000 lbs.!-lol

Just weighing in....

74 Duster
Hemi...aluminum block ,heads
aluminum radiator, water pump assembly
aluminum case 4-speed
A/C
Gear vendor od
spare doughnut
14 gal gas
buckets / no back seat

1760 front
1580 rear

3340 total

Is this just the weight of the car or with you in it also?

Just the car. The car is mini-tubbed, 4 wheel discs, sub-frame connectors, aluminum intake and headers. Stock cast iron water pump, stock radiator, clutch fan, big sway bar, etc.

Yup convertibles are a weeee bit (lots in some cases) heavier due to hidden bracing. torque boxes and so forth
here is one Waggin cut up and I got for extra metal parts
View attachment 049.jpg

just imagine that chunk of metal hiding in your rocker panels from wheel well to wheel well
there is only 4 holes cut out to lighten the piece 2 that you see and 2 mirrored in the cutoff front section and it's over a .370 thickness

Yup convertibles are a weeee bit (lots in some cases) heavier due to hidden bracing. torque boxes and so forth
here is one Waggin cut up and I got for extra metal parts
View attachment 1714833875

just imagine that chunk of metal hiding in your rocker panels from wheel well to wheel well
there is only 4 holes cut out to lighten the piece 2 that you see and 2 mirrored in the cutoff front section and it's over a .370 thickness

Wow! That thing is massive!!!

But what about the A-518 O.D. trans Paul?

Heavier than 'a ghost'.

Trans Model ........ Weight ......................... Length

904 ................... 103.42 lbs. ...................... 30.58"
727 ................... 127.65 lbs. ...................... 34.39"

518 .................. 147.45 lbs. {Dry Weight}.... 37.20"
518 .................. 171.85 lbs. {Wet Weight}

Fluid 10-12 Quarts

-
Back