Shop safety

-

dadsbee

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Shop safety tip of the day, or the golden horseshoe award. For 12 years I've had a tire filler chucked into the hose reel on the 2 post lift. I also usually have the windows up in the cars, but was airing the Bird out after running the ozinator in it. Fired up the air compressor today and just after it had shut off I heard an air leak and then a pop. No dents in cars, but the threaded in portion shot in through the passenger window of the Bird, out the drivers side and across the floor under the Bee!

20240919_182702.jpg

20240919_182706.jpg

20240919_182730.jpg

Glad there was no serious damage...

Years ago I was working at a dealership when a fitting came loose & the air hose started whipping around, it swung up & took out an 8' florescent light tube... It hit near one end & the pin at the other end stayed in it's socket causing the broken end to fall while the other end stayed high till the angle of the tube reached 70+ degrees then it released & the broken tube acted like a spear, burying itself in the back of the guy in the stall next to mine's calf...... Taken away in an ambulance... Shards of broken glass & phosphorous powder... Surgery & never came back to work....

I learned that lesson many years back, the door to my shop had a regular glass window in it. Late one night I heard breaking glass, went out to see the glass on the outside of the door. I heard the air hose flopping around when I got to the door. The end of the hose beat the crap out of my brand new (three days old) stacked tool box. I don't ever leave the chucks in air hoses these days

We always put a ball valve directly to the tank port so we can service the water trap and oiler without draining the compressor. It's also nice to shut that off for safety and to preserve the full tank of air the compressor generated without worrying about it bleeding down. Then we are good to go the next time we need air without restarting the compressor. When you get to be an old fart the hardest thing is remembering to close the valve when you're done...LOL

Yikes! I think I'll go out and tighten all of my chucks right now...

We always put a ball valve directly to the tank port so we can service the water trap and oiler without draining the compressor. It's also nice to shut that off for safety and to preserve the full tank of air the compressor generated without worrying about it bleeding down. Then we are good to go the next time we need air without restarting the compressor. When you get to be an old fart the hardest thing is remembering to close the valve when you're done...LOL
Agreed. I pout 1/4 turn valves just about everywhere I can. I like having the option to isolate the system anywhere I want.

Yikes! I think I'll go out and tighten all of my chucks right now...

Agreed. I pout 1/4 turn valves just about everywhere I can. I like having the option to isolate the system anywhere I want.
I remember when the quarter turn valves first came out for water. I have a high school buddy that owns and operates a small plumbing supply shop in Watseka Illinois. He turned me on to them when they first appeared. So much nicer that those multiple turn globe valves that always end of leaking out of the packing or just fail to turn.

I remove the chuck from the air hose as soon as I am done using it. I also shut off the air supply at the compressor when it's not needed. I have seen firsthand what a mess an airhose can cause when unleashed.
Glad you don't have to take the 'Bird back to surgery again Wayne.

I had similar luck years ago. My ragtop in a single car garage. Closed the garage door and heard bang, then a bunch of banging. Door spring broke. No safety cable through it. 2 pieces of spring on the floor. One under the car. I could not find a scratch or dent on the car.:wtf:

Looked at the chuck today. The threads aren't stripped, clean as if new, and I can set the thread in section right into the female portion. I guess years of 100 PSI expanded the female shell... in the big bin she goes.

At that angle, it almost looks like it must've bounce off one of the seats to make it through the driver's side window without hitting anything. Either way, I'd definitely be going to buy a lottery ticket.

Had a buddy air up the trailer tires on his boat, tires were less than a year old.
Damn tire separated and blew up in his face, the only thing that saved his eyes, was he was a machinist at work, and he said he had a habit of always putting his work issued safety glasses on, anytime he touched a tool.

His face looked like he went a round with Mike Tyson, but the glasses saved both eyes.

-
Back