Should have bought a Ram!

-

Pound

Reaction score
I bought an XJ Cherokee with a bad motor that was 150 miles away. We went to get it with the F-150 we just bought from my brother-in-law. Truck has (had?) a 302 with a five speed. Hooked up a borrowed car trailer and went to get the Jeep with about a 25mph cross-wind. We were only able to do about 55-60 on the way down. The trip while loadedback was ok while the wind was behind us, but when the wind hit the side, the truck could barely manage to maintain 55. We got within 60 miles of home and noticed a significant loss of power. Stopped in a small town when the oil pressure dropped and engine acted like it was hot, although the gauge said it wasn't. I added two quarts of oil and let it cool down, then headed home. A quarter mile from home, oil gone again. WE LOST TWO QUARTS OF OIL IN 30 MILES OUT THE EXHAUST!!!! Only thing I can think of is the intake leaking. Other thoughts would be appreciated!

Check the PCV system. See if any hoses or the valve itself is clogged or otherwise inoperable. If you find nothing there, remove the plugs and inspect them for oil fouling. If you find that, then sounds like time for a rebuild. Towing a full size loaded car trailer with a half ton and a 302.......there ARE better choices. Even still, in good condition, the engine should do the job.

That is not an ideal tow vehicle as Rusty said BUT,it certainly should have survived that little exercise unless seriously worn out to begin with.

I have to agree - you should have bought a Ram :D. On the other hand, assuming it's an older higher mile engine in a 1/2 ton, and no matter the make, it would likely have had issues making that trip. So, how's the oil that is left look? "Milky"? How does the antifreeze look? Got any oil in it?

My '89 F150 pulled home my Ramcharger.

5400# truck, 5500# Rancharger, 2300# trailer.

Do the math.

I don't know what year your truck is, but the bricknoses had issues with properly working gauges.

My temp gauge and oil pressure never worked. My nephew's '87, his oil pressure gauge worked, but his temp and voltmeter didn't.

I got hit head on in 1976. Totally my 68 ford 1/2 ton 283. Bought a new 1/2 t. Ford , 302, hooked to small gooseneck ONCE, traded it off next day. Totally gutless.

I have always had 3/4 to 1 T. after that. Except the Lil Red i used to pull with for while. . Had good power, impressive.

Check the PCV system. See if any hoses or the valve itself is clogged or otherwise inoperable. If you find nothing there, remove the plugs and inspect them for oil fouling. If you find that, then sounds like time for a rebuild. Towing a full size loaded car trailer with a half ton and a 302.......there ARE better choices. Even still, in good condition, the engine should do the job.
Found On Road Dead....:D:popcorn: hope you feel better soon.....:thumbsup:

I have to agree - you should have bought a Ram :D. On the other hand, assuming it's an older higher mile engine in a 1/2 ton, and no matter the make, it would likely have had issues making that trip. So, how's the oil that is left look? "Milky"? How does the antifreeze look? Got any oil in it?
Our little 318 in the Durango pulls the duster no probs..

Our little 318 in the Durango pulls the duster no probs..
no surprise there - it's a Mopar! I am thinking the F150 in question is a high mileage truck - - possibly over 200k...?? The 302 in an F150 (1969-1996) had anywhere from 130 to 205 HP - when new.

Truck is a 1993 with about 177k on it. Haven't had a chance to really dig in yet. We'll see, pcv did dance in my head, but wow-that much oil in such a short time? Might be a while before I get the chance to check it out-the weather is going to take another serious dump again this week. PS-my old Grand Cherokee with 200+k on it would've done this just as well or better I think!

I tow stuff around with a 1/2 ton GMC with a MDS 5.3. It is pretty gutless but it gets the job done. as long as the trailer has good brakes and weather isn't an issue, I have no problems. I've towed my Scout 500 mi round trip several times.. I'd still rather have a 3/4 ton diesel.. But I tend not to ***** too much about a free truck..

Well THIS Ford has no trouble towing ANYTHING!:lol:

20171020_154002.jpg

6800# gvw truck with a 10k# trailer.

I still had 3600# to go to hit resgistered gvw. :)
That's not actually how it works. The 10k for the trailer is what the trailer is rated for with cargo. It adds zero to the trucks gvw. The 6,800 has nothing to do with trailering. That's the loaded weight of the truck (truck, cargo, and passengers). Your trailering limit is listed separately and will be different depending on how the truck is optioned and the type of hitch and trailer. At 7,700 for the trailer and cargo you were most likely overloaded or at the limit if the truck was max equipped. Late 80's half tons aren't rated for much. 16,800 is modern diesel territory.

That's not actually how it works. The 10k for the trailer is what the trailer is rated for with cargo. It adds zero to the trucks gvw. The 6,800 has nothing to do with trailering. That's the loaded weight of the truck (truck, cargo, and passengers). Your trailering limit is listed separately and will be different depending on how the truck is optioned and the type of hitch and trailer. At 7,700 for the trailer and cargo you were most likely overloaded or at the limit if the truck was max equipped. Late 80's half tons aren't rated for much. 16,800 is modern diesel territory.
Yea right...Towing also surpasses the Ram 3500, besting the Ram by 1,290 pounds for a max gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 pounds. Fifth-wheel users can tow 27,500 pounds – 2,500 pounds more than the next best competitor.

Yea right...Towing also surpasses the Ram 3500, besting the Ram by 1,290 pounds for a max gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 pounds. Fifth-wheel users can tow 27,500 pounds – 2,500 pounds more than the next best competitor.
What does any of that have to do with an 89 F-150?

Jeez nothing. Was stated how to determine towing capacity and stated what modern diesels were doing, and I just stated they were higher then he thought. OP was overloaded....:thumbsup:

What was explained to me by a NYS Trooper is that if it's licensed commercial (and I always licence my pick up commercial) then it combination weight, not just trailer weight.

Agree with the title. 175k miles strong........

789973-a8f8f742193dcd13caf2fa94610b08ff.jpg

2003 Ram 2500 with 5.7

What was explained to me by a NYS Trooper is that if it's licensed commercial (and I always licence my pick up commercial) then it combination weight, not just trailer weight.
He's a bit confused. The manufacturer's ratings stand no matter what. The weight on your title is the unladen vehicle. The weight on your registration you can choose your class. Some people will down rate to save on fees. If the vehicle's manufacturer rating is exceeded your insurance company may not cover you in an accident. In some cases you can even be held criminally liable.

You had a decent gear under that truck. He probably does not. That makes a BIG difference with a small cube motor. Also of course, turning OFF the OD as Ford recommends is a no brainer......although I've seen geniuses let 'er go right into OD with all that load.

My '89 F150 pulled home my Ramcharger.

5400# truck, 5500# Rancharger, 2300# trailer.

Do the math.

I don't know what year your truck is, but the bricknoses had issues with properly working gauges.

My temp gauge and oil pressure never worked. My nephew's '87, his oil pressure gauge worked, but his temp and voltmeter didn't.

A Ford 283? Must have been a one off.

I got hit head on in 1976. Totally my 68 ford 1/2 ton 283. Bought a new 1/2 t. Ford , 302, hooked to small gooseneck ONCE, traded it off next day. Totally gutless.

I have always had 3/4 to 1 T. after that. Except the Lil Red i used to pull with for while. . Had good power, impressive.

-
Back