Should I? AMC 401 in a Dart

-
The only thing I'm gonna say about a AMC engine is if one comes up and challenges you, hope the driver doesn't know what there doing with it. If he does, they can and will run and run real freakin well. Don't be surprised if a AMC comes up to you one day and cleans your clock. Thoroughly!

As far as getting one into a MoPar, if your up for the task and wanna do it, go for it.

In the end, you do what you wanna do with your car.

Did you all know INDY has a set of serious heads for that engine?

... Think about what you're doing. The Gremlin was a supporter of the 401 and was like the LO23 Dart. After market build with the 401. Maybe only 80 of them built. Bad *** to say the least. Save it or sell it to me and get us a Gremlin and make a real car. So what, put a bag over your head so you don't have to look at it. Those Gremlins with a 401 in em are one bad dude. I saw one run in St Louis aganst a pumped up 440 Cuda. Not even a race. Don't put it in a Dart. Call me if you dont understand what i have said.
Small Block

i've wanted a gremlin with a 401 for a loooong time. i would make it stock looking with the dog dish caps and it would be the ULTIMATE sleeper. in fact in the latest Hot Rod there are a couple of quick v-8 gremlins. I love them because everyone hates them.
-Tim

I'm still working on the deal. We'll see.

I thought about a Gremlin. I'm not opposed to ugly ,fast cars. The quickest thing I've owned was a V8 pinto with fenderwell headers and a 9 inch rear. Had three different pumpkins set up and could change gears in Half an hr on Fri nights if the $was right.

This guy knows where there is another 401 on a stand too. I'll let you know smallblock!

I can resist anything, but Temptation!

I remember how quick a stock SC/360 Hornet was back in '71. Kid in School had one. He beat-up on plenty of boys in thier "pretty cars". With the Go-Pack it had 285HP ( underrated like the 340) and with the 3.90 gears it was bad-***. ( and uuugly, too 8)) I wanna Gremlin baaad! Power-to-weight ( like our A bodies) is where it's at! Do it for the Hell of It!

An avid AMC fan told the blocks are all the same,simply bored and stroked for different cid's.Is this true? I really am ignorant to AMC's cars.

Two different blocks ( basically). 1966-70 short deck for 290-343-AMX390 and 1971-91 tall deck for 304-360-390-401. Just different bore and strokes.

Well, CRAP! The deal died a fairly violent death. No 401 for me:angry5:. It was a 3 way deal, and my son killed it. But I have to give him some credit though.

He decided( at 17) that the built J10 that came with the motor was just going to cost too much to get on and keep on the road.

So I'm proud and disgusted at the same time!

Thanks for the input guys!

Do it, it would be different.
A friend has an older full sized Jeep Cherokee, that looks stock and has a 401 in it. He runs 12's on motor and 11's on spray.

Here's a recent pic from Pinks All Out at Martin, MI with my friend's Jeep pulling the front wheels.
Pinks_7-11-09_WHEELIE.jpg

been trying to find a amc390,or 401 for a 68 javelin. Any help ??

-
Back