Should I? AMC 401 in a Dart

-

WyKev

Reaction score
I can pick up a good running 76 401 real cheap. I'm tempted to toss it in the Dart and save the 340. Pros- More torque and horsepower. Cons??

I am a big fan of 401s. I have one in my '72 AMX Javelin. What are you saving the 340 for? BTW: The post '71 401's used Chrysler Torqueflites. AMC named them TorqueCommands. I am not sure up to what year they used them though.

You do realize that complete 401 is at a minimum a $450 core engine, right?
Last 1 I had was a turning core and I got that out if very easily, in fact it was sold before I even got it pulled.
AMC/Jeep guys go bananas trying to find them.

Mark.

sounds fun im a big amc fan my dad has a 69 amx 390 thats sweet man go for it but im wornin ya now the oilin system isint the best if your gona buld it up alot

I Knew JR would be all over it!!!! As for saving the 340- I'm thinking there are fewer and fewer good running stock 70 340s everyday . Besides, I want to do a street rod with it.

The main hang up I see will be the drivers exhaust. Not a lot of GOOD exhaust shops in my neck of the woods. I have the 727 and will put the 5spd conversion on hold if this comes together.

I had a J10 with a 401. It would smoke the 32 mud ta's I had on it. Since then 340s, & 401s are my favorite engines.

Borrowed parts ... yes, carbs and some electrical. Otherwise, AMC motors can be made to perform extremely well.

Yes indeed! Those pesky 401 amc's were difficult to keep behind you back in the day.

Yes indeed! Those pesky 401 amc's were difficult to keep behind you back in the day.

My first Mopar was a '76 Volare Roadrunner with a 340. Many years ago, late one night on a 6 lane divided road (3 lanes in each direction), I went up against a '71 Chevelle. I was in the right lane, the middle lane was empty and the Chevelle was in the left lane. Light turns green, we're dead even shifting into second when a white blurr flies between us. Left us like we were standing still. When we caught up to this car, it was something I'd never seen before - a 401 powered Javelin. I gained a new respect for AMC that night.

Wylde. :burnout:

i like the 401 idea. it's DIFFERENT. and fast. BTW, zakk wylde is one of the best guitar players EVER.

I had the same thoughts. Pretty good engines, but they will bring 3-500 pretty quickly as a core. I know I have done well selling them. I had one that you could visibly see the pistons move side to side, and I got $300 for the shortblock! I hid nothing and actually showed him that intentionally.

As far as putting it in a car, I say go for it. They are strong runners. The 304 I ran was good, the 360 was decent. But the 401 was a tractor.....just pure grunt !

ROB

My Brother-in-laws old Gremlin ran in the tens with his 401. Last I heard Fred E. owns the car.

I would put the 340 in the Dart and use the 401 for the street rod.

Or you could make a bunch of money selling it to an AMC resto guy.

I had a 70 AMX in 73-76, I went thru 3 - 390 and a 401 ... The first two 390's were stockl, the third and the 401 I had these for 1/4 mile and spun main bearings in all of them. Sold the car with a junk yard 390 in it. The guy who ended up with it didn't have it long enough to blow the motor before he wrecked it. On the good side though they were sick fast.

It's your car why should you have to ask us if you should do it or not? Its not like you're putting a big block chevy in there so do what you want with it. I say if you think it's a neat idea then go for it!!!!

My 2 cents...

I agree with burntorange... put the 340 in the Dart and use the AMC engine for a hotrod/streetrod!

Do it, it would be different.
A friend has an older full sized Jeep Cherokee, that looks stock and has a 401 in it. He runs 12's on motor and 11's on spray.
Greg_Burnout_2_skew.JPG

Greg_Launch_skew.JPG

... Think about what you're doing. The Gremlin was a supporter of the 401 and was like the LO23 Dart. After market build with the 401. Maybe only 80 of them built. Bad *** to say the least. Save it or sell it to me and get us a Gremlin and make a real car. So what, put a bag over your head so you don't have to look at it. Those Gremlins with a 401 in em are one bad dude. I saw one run in St Louis aganst a pumped up 440 Cuda. Not even a race. Don't put it in a Dart. Call me if you dont understand what i have said.
Small Block

-
Back