Should I buy this 440?

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
4006630-440-10
A friend of mine from work wants $400 for this engine. He remembers it coming out of a running police car.
What do you think. He wants to know by tomorrow.

440.jpg

440-10.jpg

I wouldn’t, but I don’t want a 440. Do you want a 440? Then that one is as good as any other core and seems reasonably priced.

Yup!!

I can see $400.00 worth of parts just in the picture.

I would make sure I knew what I was getting, what year, forged crank and if it really runs without any problems. Generally police maintenance is top notch, after sale to the public, so so. I don’t know the 440 market, so all in all you don’t know what you all are getting till you get it running.

I would make sure I knew what I was getting, what year, forged crank and if it really runs without any problems. Generally police maintenance is top notch, after sale to the public, so so. I don’t know the 440 market, so all in all you don’t know what you all are getting till you get it running.
That's a cast crank harmonic balancer.
Crank must turn. I don't buy a locked up engine.
I don't think police car matters much at this stage.
Would be nice if he could take off the heads and check the cylinder bores.

400 bucks isn't bad these days.. like stated make sure you can turn the crank. cast crank is nothing to be scared of.. i'd offer less too and see if he takes it.. :)

Cast crank no issue. I sold a 73 cast crank complete running 440 engine/trans for $1300, started it on the floor and took a video, that was 4 years ago. $400 is a no brainer...

Could be a police pursuit 440. Could know more if you can get the info off the top pad in front of the intake manifold.

That's a cast crank harmonic balancer.
Crank must turn. I don't buy a locked up engine.
I don't think police car matters much at this stage.
Would be nice if he could take off the heads and check the cylinder bores.
There you go, two of the three.

Do you have plans for it. I wouldn't get it to stick under the workbench. Looks like the pass side valve cover has been off.....maybe looking for sludge/damage. Like said before, if it spins, probably a good deal.

If it turns buy it, you could always remove the spark plugs and stick a bore scope in there to look at the cylinders.

I would have told him yes the instant he said $400

It could be a police motor. They had thick balancers and log manifolds. They didnt use headers or special manifolds or steel cranks in because it was a cop car

-
Back