Should I keep these heads?

-
Moper,

When I bought that Hughes cam, Dave told me that Engle was grinding them.

I read a couple of months ago that Jack Engle had died, so I don't know what that means RE: the Hughes cam supply line.

Bill

The Engle I got two years ago now was perfect, but it was a full custom grind I spec'd. I don't know who grinds Hughes now, but I liked talking with Mark Engle. I believe this was after the father passed. But I could be mistaken. The Hughes I still have I got on thier fire sale section of the web site like 9 years ago now.

Commando - I owned a '66 S car, with a 340 and stick. It had the 68-71 Hipo 340 manifolds on it and they fit perfectly. I've only had one, and I didnt do the install, but I know mine fit fine...

Not to add fuel to the fire, but the 340 installed in the '64 Valiant shown below is my car circa 1972. I dropped a complete '71 Demon 340/4-speed into a '64 V-100 2-door post.

I say "dropped in," because that's what I was trying to do.. to get by without having to buy headers,

Well, as you can see from the picture, it ended up with Hedman fenderwell headers on it.

When I lowered the engine into the car, once it was in place, the exhaust manifolds (1971 340's) hit the inner fender panels solidly on both sides.... no wiggle room at all.

Undaunted, and determined to use thee cast iron units, I drove the car to an exhaust shop that did custom fabrications to have them make me some head pipes to connect the manifolds to the mufflers.

After about half an hour of trying this and that, and measuring, to try to get around the clutch linkage, the guy gave up and said, "Go get a set of fenderwell headers for this S.O.B.!!!"

So, I did... as you can see in the picture. BTW, this was an original 273 car, although that makes no difference, probably (except maybe for the steering link oil pan depression.)

I guess production tolerances just result in some cars having slightly different parameters than others. I have a buddy who put a crate 360 Magnum into his '69 Dart GT and even with brand-new front engine mounts, he has to space the engine about an inch higher to keep the steering components away from his new TTI header$.....

Go figure.....

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

image03.jpg

image02.jpg

Not to add fuel to the fire, but the 340 installed in the '64 Valiant shown below is my car circa 1972. I dropped a complete '71 Demon 340/4-speed into a '64 V-100 2-door post.

I say "dropped in," because that's what I was trying to do.. to get by without having to buy headers,

Well, as you can see from the picture, it ended up with Hedman fenderwell headers on it.

When I lowered the engine into the car, once it was in place, the exhaust manifolds (1971 340's) hit the inner fender panels solidly on both sides.... no wiggle room at all.

Undaunted, and determined to use thee cast iron units, I drove the car to an exhaust shop that did custom fabrications to have them make me some head pipes to connect the manifolds to the mufflers.

After about half an hour of trying this and that, and measuring, to try to get around the clutch linkage, the guy gave up and said, "Go get a set of fenderwell headers for this S.O.B.!!!"

So, I did... as you can see in the picture. BTW, this was an original 273 car, although that makes no difference, probably (except maybe for the steering link oil pan depression.)

I guess production tolerances just result in some cars having slightly different parameters than others. I have a buddy who put a crate 360 Magnum into his '69 Dart GT and even with brand-new front engine mounts, he has to space the engine about an inch higher to keep the steering components away from his new TTI header$.....

Go figure.....

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Would the car haul butt Bill?

I had to use the thicker motor mount insulators so my ttis wouldn't hit the gear box.

It didn't run bad.... I put a 4.56 Sure Grip in it, along with some cheap-*** slapper bars (didn't know any better), a Lunati "Riddler" cam, an electric fuel pump, and some 7"-wide Stock Eliminator M & H's on the back. Blocked the heat risers (under the carb), made a cold air pkg, and installed a 3,000 lb. pressure plate that has the cenrrifugal weights removed. I could power-shift it like crazy....

I think it was a high 12-second car on the street (with the slicks, which O drove it on, all the time.) Probably ran 106-107 mph...

I lost a race to a new Kawasaki 950 that had a 4-inrto 1 header, but it was really close...

That's the only time that car ever got beat. There were lots of cars around that would outrun it, but I picked my battles carefully... :)

Tons of fun in that old heap!

It didn't run bad.... I put a 4.56 Sure Grip in it, along with some cheap-*** slapper bars (didn't know any better), a Lunati "Riddler" cam, an electric fuel pump, and some 7"-wide Stock Eliminator M & H's on the back. Blocked the heat risers (under the carb), made a cold air pkg, and installed a 3,000 lb. pressure plate that has the cenrrifugal weights removed. I could power-shift it like crazy....

I think it was a high 12-second car on the street (with the slicks, which O drove it on, all the time.) Probably ran 106-107 mph...

I lost a race to a new Kawasaki 950 that had a 4-inrto 1 header, but it was really close...

That's the only time that car ever got beat. There were lots of cars around that would outrun it, but I picked my battles carefully... :)

Tons of fun in that old heap!

"Riddler" "Voodoo'..Lunati sure has some cool names for their cams...Bill,did you get those 3:91's in yet..

It was a 4.10, and the answer is "No." Not yet.

But, I did take my car to Centerville (drag strip) last Saturday, with the 3.55.

It was cold, and slick. Attached is my best timeslip... not a bad mph, but the 60-ft. sux, so does the e.t.

The online calculators I use (Wallace) said it should run 11.75-11.80 quarter mile @ 118, or so, based on these 1/8th mile and 1,000-foot speeds and e.t.'s. on the timecard.

That will improve a tenth, or so, when I get the 4.10's installed.

Got to work on bite, though.... 1.81 won't get it...
Thanks for your interest!!!! I'll let you know when th 4.10 goes in. Maybe I'll get some better tires; these 8"-wide, BF Badrich T/A Drag-down Radials suck, big-time. I was spinning ALL THE WAY through 1st gear.

But, it ran a little better than I thought it might. That was it's first time out with the blower. Look s like it picked up about 1.5 sec. and 16 mph.

Bill

image0-3.jpg

100_3266.jpg

Stroked 340 said:"Riddler" "Voodoo'..Lunati sure has some cool names for their cams."

That particular cam was a cam that came out of the engine that was in the '69 Barracuda that won Stock Eliminartor at Pomona in 1969 (possibly 1970... I'm not certain of the year, but, it was one or the other.)

I had a friend who worked at Gary Ostrich's Nevada, Iowa machine shop, who did engine work for Chrysler Corp. on a "contract" basis. They built blueprinted engines for a lot of the "factory"-sponsored racers of the time.

One such car was the Barracuda of Mark Coletti, who had just won the Winters with his "Coletti Chrysler/Plymouth" dealership-sponsored F Stock Automatic, '69 Barracuda race car.

Having won that race, he wanted to change over to Super Stock, which requires a solid roller cam, so he sent the engine to Gary Ostritch (since he was on a "factory" deal) to change it over to a S/S motor.

Gary pulled the Lunati cam out of it (a special grind to pass Stock tech) and put it on a shelf and forgot it. A year or two went by and I needed a cam for my Valiant, so he sold me that cam... and a new set of lifters and springs.... all for $60.00, because it was used.

Mark Colleti's Barracuda was named "The Riddler." That's why that cam grind had that name.

Picked my car up about three car-lengths from the stock 340 cam....
Helluva deal for sixty bucks... LOL!

-
Back