Sick of Autozone and Checker.

-
Then, please, by all means, come and work for the local AZ on the commercial desk. You can force feed that guy with all the info he needs and still get the wrong part. GM 2500 Express van with an 8600# GVW needs rear brakes and he sends up front rotors for a half ton. Wheel bearings for a '95 Aspire (these are tapered bearings!) and he sends up a pressed in bearing for a Taurus. Or needing a radiator for a '99 F150 with a 4.2L V6 and getting a rad for a '89 Ram D150. And then having to wait 2 days for the rad that I ordered for the F150 because he typed in the wrong freakin' vehicle and explaining that to the customer! Or, as I've pointed out, the ever lovin' balljoints for a McPherson strut car. "Uppers or lowers," is always the question. If you can find uppers I wanna see 'em.
Look, if it's someone on the front counter I'll cut 'em some slack, especially on older vehicles. Chances are they do need a little help. I have no problem with that. But the guy on the commercial desk should be expected to know his s***, especially if I'm writing a quote for the customer, giving all the information I have available: MY, DOM, GVW, even VIN. And I have him repeat the info back to me. And still get the wrong part. Now it's costing me as a technician money and the shop money in lost productivity.
then why do u still shop there

The O'Rielly guys are the worst... Huh Eddie! :toothy10:

Just kidding.

I know two guys at the local autozone that are pretty sharp and not computer centric. It's nice to talk with someone that isn't afraid to go outside the box to find what you need.

I don't like it when the parts guy tells me a 70 Dart did not come with a 340 so he cant help me.
But other than that I get what I need most of the time.

I hered the O'rielly guys are psycho. LOL

My latest trip to NAPA:

I stopped in and ordered a rear axle seal and the gaskets to go with it for a 8.75 rear end. I ended up giving him part numbers because he couldnt find them for my old car.

Ok.

Next day parts are supposed to be in.....I go down end of day and I get a "yeah they are in....." I explained I didnt have my receipt but the kid remembered me paying...problem is he couldnt locate the parts...He spent the next 10 minutes trying to find me in the 'puter.

I asked why my parts (which I had bought and paid for the prior day) werent waiting fior me....I was told "Everything is shelved when the parts come in".

HUH!? Those are MY parts.

It took 20 minutes of my life for him to finanly find my parts.

Their parts are geting cheap too....they used to have good rotors...but now they are cheap...lucky for me that they do lifetime replacements.

I have had good service there too....but also at AZ and Advanced....

Basically its hit or miss.

We hav a Franks Auto Supermarket here and they are pretty good knowledge wise....

Was searchng for an o-ring for the speedo pinion on my 727 and all teh otehr places gave me blank stares. At Franks, the guy said "hold on"...went in teh backroom and came back with one...FREE! Turns out he was an old transmission mechanic and kept stuff like this at the store "just in case"....

Great shop usually...

I like AZ for th lifetime warranty on stuff....thats about it.

Sad but true! Advance is now selling Moog chassis, Wagner brakes, Fel-Pro gaskets just to name a few, and with their buying power they can put a hurting on the little guys if it comes down to a price war. It is also true about the quality of parts, not only NAPA and Carquest, but every where! Try and find a brake rotor NOT made in China unless it is old stock! Wagner was the last holdout and they have since gone to China. I'm getting parts back for warranty that I have never had problems before! And it's killing our economy too!

I have noticed the Fel-Pro & such now that you mention it. I have been using advance due to them knowing me and ordering parts for next day with just a phone call and me paying the next day when parts are picked up. Have to watchem on pricing though, depending on what yopu get advance has been doing just that to their prices lately.

I still buy my NAPA gold WIX oil filters though!!

HAHAHA, this is so funny! I just came from the Old Tractor forum and there's a 2 page rant about AutoZone over there too.
As stated above, when I started in the parts business, it was the same 6 months delivering parts and stocking shelves to learn.

Aint it the truth......

Late 70's, high school job at Porsche dealer parts. Drove delivery truck first year and checked in parts shipments/stocked the shelves.

Then waited on the mechanics at their counter, if you didn't know you would by the time they chew on your butt for a couple of mins.!!

then why do u still shop there

Thankfully, I don't. After my experience working for a shop in which the service managers had their heads stuck up the AZ commercial guys a** and we were forced to do business with AZ I won't go back. C'mon, please tell me more how it's the idiot customers' fault and that it's my fault for not giving the right information. Make more excuses for him....

my dad works at napa and he was a mechanic for all his life he always worked at dodge dealerships. he works as an at home mechanic for extra cash on the weekends.

I went to Autozone once and ask for a part for my 1966 Charger.The Guy at the counter said they never made a Dodge Charger in 1966.I said as I was laughing at him what is that parked in front of your window? I quit going to Autozone about 9 or 10 Years ago when they put up all the spanish signs in their store.
Jim

Another one coming from the other side of the counter, from AZ actually!
I'm working there part-time until i graduate in Feb.

I know that most people don't understand the year/make/model thing but that is how our computer systems are set-up to look up part numbers, i know it's a pain in the butt sometimes believe me i have now been on both sides of the counter and know how frustrating it can be! But without this basic information for us to look up it's almost inpossible to find the right parts in the system!
But like said in another post there are ALOT of people who come in for parts that have no idea what they are driving except it's a blue Ford and these people are working on there own friggin cars, which to me is scary!
I had a guy come in a while back that wanted a Drain and Fill gasket for his Olds.! Any idea what the hell that is? Well it turned out he wanted a trans. pan gasket! When i gave it to him he pulls out the filter and says that's not a gasket, so i tell him it's in the box he looks then turns and walks away!
These are the kind of genius's we have to deal with every day!
I have had other encounters like this with people that should never hold a wrench but are still working on there cars even though they have no idea what they are doing!
I'm the old car and Mopar guy at the AZ i work because i don't know to much about the newer cars so i let the younger guys deal with them usually!

The people/children that work at autozoner are clueless and only took a job there so they could get discounts on fart can's for their honda.

My briggs and stratton sounds tougher.

The people/children that work at autozoner are clueless and only took a job there so they could get discounts on fart can's for their honda.

My briggs and stratton sounds tougher.

I'm 35 and work at AZ so i can put myself through school to be an electrician and i have never owned or will own a honda with a fart can exhaust so i guess that puts an end to your theory!

no luck with leprechauns got boned at the zone advance to my Napa i wont steer you wrong. thats my slogan. im a veteran parts guy been doing it almost 30 years. sears and roebuck, jc whitney were my first parts books. just like it when when everyone chimes in about my competition. one of my favorite past times is to educate the young guys about cars. the real ones. rice is for meals not wheels. thanks guys.

AZ blows balls in my area of the woods too. Advanced is ok, but I'm not too keen on Napa. Around here they close by 4pm Mon-Fri and are closed on weekends. PepBoys actually has been good with parts for me. They ordered me new drums for my '70 valiant and had them in next day, and also had my shoes IN STOCK! there is also a family run place by me that's been selling parts since '62. When I had my dart, I got a super 6 setup from a station wagon and needed a carb, the place had the right one that was sitting in their backroom since 1974 (I did this in '00). They wanted it out of there so they gave me a deal of $60 for it.

This is no joke! NAPA was closed so I went to AutoZone about my Dart and they said, "Dart, hmmmm, never heard of it. That's a truck, right?"
I couldn't believe it! I won't be going back.

This is first thing I say when I go to a parts store that is different than I normally deal with and want parts for a early model car. "I want the oldest parts man that is here." Most of the time I get someone that is pretty decent.

Example at Oreilly AP is I needed an canister type oil filter for my 1958 Chevrolet 2 ton dump truck. My normal parts man was on vacation and was told that he would have to order it. I go in for 3 days in a row and still no filter. I go in 4th day and my parts man is back. I tell him what I need and he said we stock those then he walks about 10 feet and get it. His comment was he works with some BLEEPING idiots, if they would pull their heads out of their BLEEPES and get out a book they could have got it for you. It isn't in the BLEEPING computer. (NOTE*** You can put the BLEEP words in yourself.)

I have always gathered up all the old parts books that I could get. Many times if you have the numbers they can get the parts even if it isn't in the computer.
I do this with Oreilly Auto Parts here all the time.

I have worked at pepboys for 15+ years and if the company is only going to pay someone $8 a hour thats what they are going to get + payroll what a joke that is a the big companys think lets cut payroll and make more money as the customers walk out the door the guys that never opened a hood of a car are the ones running the companys and don't have a clue what goes on in the real world they just look at number ,numbers don't bring customers in the door service and knowledge we have had dm's from drug stores,toy stores and vp that don't have a clue about autoparts and think they know everything it drives me nuts but they pay me to much to leave and not enough to stay so i will work there untill the roof falls in

here what i have heard in this town go see eddie he knows his **** i give 100% i like my job alot and the place i work for is great i run the back counter and the front some times this is what i want to do and if u own a mopar in this town i have seen u in the store because u canme to see me 2 side to every story

I don't like it when the parts guy tells me a 70 Dart did not come with a 340 so he cant help me.
But other than that I get what I need most of the time.

I hered the O'rielly guys are psycho. LOL
:toothy10: lol

The O'Rielly guys are the worst... Huh Eddie! :toothy10:

Just kidding.

I know two guys at the local autozone that are pretty sharp and not computer centric. It's nice to talk with someone that isn't afraid to go outside the box to find what you need.
:toothy10: lol

:bootysha:
no luck with leprechauns got boned at the zone advance to my Napa i wont steer you wrong. thats my slogan. im a veteran parts guy been doing it almost 30 years. sears and roebuck, jc whitney were my first parts books. just like it when when everyone chimes in about my competition. one of my favorite past times is to educate the young guys about cars. the real ones. rice is for meals not wheels. thanks guys.
:bootysha::bootysha:

Having worked at an auto parts store, being a mechanic at a dealership with in house parts guys and just of course, being a hobbyist and lately making a few bucks here and there doing brakes and tune-ups, I've seen it all from every perspective.

The last time I was at the local AZ (last monday) the gal was Mexican, had the wheel cylinder in my hand in about 60 seconds flat and I was out the door in less then 5 minutes. Great service, she was actually kind of cute and had a great smile. I also knew that in addition to it being a blue ford, it was a '85 bronco II with a 2.8 V6. My point is that it really doesn't matter what store it is or what the nationality of the counter person is but how well they know their job and if their happy they have it.

Never in my life have I expected to get real advice nor asked for it from a counterman and I usually just walk in with a part number to save us both grief. If not, I know exactly what the part is called and on what vehicle it should fit. To expect someone to diagnose your vehicle by just pulling a code or how to set up a diff gear pattern is way too much to ask someone making 8-10 bucks an hour.

Here's a couple examples of my experiences in the last few years:

1. I brought an alternator in to be tested from a '89 Ramcharger to local Checker. It was an externally regulated Bosch 90 amp. The kid put it in the machine, punched in the numbers and on the digital display, it showed how it supposed to be hooked up to be tested. I knew it was wrong, but just let him do it anyway. He said it was bad, I said "Hey, just trust me on this but hook it up like this..." as I opened the machine and moved the the connections around. I said "OK man, hit the button and let's see what happens." 14.6 V on the printout sheet. The kid was astounded and asked how I did it. I explained that the machine was wrong and this is an externally regulated alt and it needs power and a ground to the field coil to produce power. I then asked him to look up the next few years Bosch that is internally regulated and showed him the difference as to how they must be hooked up. He was blown away "Wow! Thanks man, I just learned something new!" I supposed I could have called him a dumbass and stormed out of the store which would've had three results: I wouldn't have got my alt tested and I'd be all pissed off plus the kid would've had a bad day. Instead I opted for four results, I taught him something new and he always rushed to help me every time I walked in, I got my alt tested and I felt good about helping someone out who I found out later was planning to go to school to be a mechanic.

2. Went to NAPA to get some hose clamps and body sealer. The counter guy asked if I needed any help and instead of saying "No" I said "I got a pretty good handle on what I need. Just getting some stuff for my Ramcharger that I'm restoring." At that point he came right around the counter and we started BS'ng. He had a early 70's Chevy truck he had just finished and informed me that I could get everything I needed to paint my truck including the spray gun for about 600 bucks! Two stage paint too as long as it wasn't a metallic. All I'd have to do is bring him a paint code. Pretty cool! I had no idea. :)

I guess like everything in life, it's all about how you approach it. I understand the frustration of those who are still professionals though as time truly is money and every time you get a blank stare, it's money straight out of your pockets. It's amazing that dealerships don't or won't train their parts guys as in the long run, their only screwing themselves. For those that have to go to a specific store due to the shop owner, ask the owner for computer in the shop to look up your own part numbers. It'll probably save you a week's worth of time over the course of a year.

I'm 35 and work at AZ so i can put myself through school to be an electrician and i have never owned or will own a honda with a fart can exhaust so i guess that puts an end to your theory!

WAAA ha aha haaaa hah aha ha ha ha:toothy10:

Oh, well...... I thought we were talking about the autozone on the corner of melrose & vistaway.

For every 1 'ignorant jerk counter person' there are 3 'polite and sometimes knowledgable counter persons'. to be fair.

-
Back