Sick of Autozone and Checker.

-

Badart

Reaction score
I am sick of some of the help that these places have. They know nothing about cars. You tell them that you need a tie rod end and they ask you where is it located on the car. They have no clue what a dart or a duster is. Ughhh. How do they get the job with no automotive experience. I don't care if Napa is a little more expensive. I am going there from now on. I went to Napa yesterday because I needed a new battery for the dart. I was blown away that the guy actually knew what an Abody was. Just have to vent.

Yes, I know! I went to get a water pump and they said a V-8 didn't come in my car. I was like?? Um??? So I said... O.k. a '72 Duster. Oh, well... they had V-8's in '72, but not '73. Then they are all cocky about it too!

Another one is when I try to buy tires. They ask me what kind of car it is. I'm like, doesn't matter... I know what I want. Then they start to yell at me because it doesn't work that way. So I do it there way, and they tell me those tires don't fit on my car! I'm on fire at that point of course. Whatever!

Yea... Those people piss me off!

Thats what I like about the local Lordco here in Trail.Lots of thier parts guys used to be mechanics or service desk guys,body shop guys etc.They all have knowledge. My best friend works there and has 15 years experience as a lead hand at an auto wreckers. If it can be done he has pretty much done it. Auto Zone sounds like Canadian Tire.Useless.

Thats what I like about the local Lordco here in Trail.Lots of thier parts guys used to be mechanics or service desk guys,body shop guys etc.They all have knowledge. My best friend works there and has 15 years experience as a lead hand at an auto wreckers. If it can be done he has pretty much done it. Auto Zone sounds like Canadian Tire.Useless.

Lordco is very good. Do you get the 30% discount?8):snakeman:

autozone is horrible, just yesterday i asked if they carried rearend u-bolts and nobody out of 3 people knew what they were. come on, really?!

Autozone is a high volume outfit... They don't care that they don't offer good service, simply because they have many locations that sell the basics like filters and oil, and make good money off of it... They pay their staff minimum wage, so expect minimum expertise... I personally can't stand those places, and when I don't buy my parts online, I go through a local chain that only has 5 or so locations... Their guys actually KNOW about cars...

Coming from someone who worked at one of the small, family run stores to being bought out by carquest I have first hand experience. We went from being known as a quality store that hired knowledgeable people to a corp. crap pot in just a few months. of course I am no longer there as everyone knows that they are not looking to keep or hire experienced people. just the person willing to work for minimum wage and can't tell a water pump from an oil pump. and in most cases they could care less! B.S.

If you have a local parts house that knows there stuff SUPPORT THEM! sure it may cost you a few more bucks but isn't it worth it when you get the right part the first time?

At checker i asked for valve cover gaskets for a '67 d-200 with a 318,he said he could get them in a day,would i like to pay for them now?no thanks.how about for a '84 d-150 with a 360,oh yea,we have those in stock,,,,,,,

The AutoZone commercials crack me up. All jolly and helpful. BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!! I would love to film a real world experience at a real AutoZone store and send it to them. As if it would do any good.

I did however bout crapped when Advance had my 10" brake adjuster cable in stock! Usually take 1 - 2 days for anything Dart. 2 to a pack $6.99. I asked how many packs do they have and said 2 so I took them both!!!!!!!!
The only thing here that keeps em honest is that there is autozone across the street, 2 NAPAs down the street both ways, and a KOI 5 miles away!!!!!

Seriously, if you have any experience working on cars AZ considers you over qualified. (Applied once.) They want some one who can look things up on a computer and be done with it. My best thing about AZ is calling looking for prices for balljoints on a Taurus. And have them ask upper or lower. No matter how many times they ask I was always laugh, call 'em dumbasses, and proceed to tell 'em nevermind I'll call someone who knows something about cars.
The last shop I worked at was exclusively an AZ shop. The wrong part every time in the door. Parts that had to be replaced right out of the box and the idiots running the desk b****ing about productivity. They never liked it when I threw the AZ parts back at 'em and told 'em that if we bought parts from a real parts store, they wouldn't have technicians constantly standing around waiting for the rights parts.

I go to NAPA IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! Two guys in there lat 40's that I know by first name. Autozone as a last resort.

Here in the 'Burg, we have another, smaller chain, Carquest. There is a id 40's lady at the one I go to who knows virtually all there is about cars. I was impressed with her knowledge.

I try, however, to go to NAPA as the quality of the parts they have seems so much better.

AZ and Advance Auto are just a pian in the ***, unless I need to dump used oil or just want a filter and some oil.
FF

i hate to say it but you guys have mostly hit the nail on the head on this one i work for autozone..... i also have almost 5 years experiance at a VW dealership as a tech. the only reason they hired me was to try and keep the "experts" behind the counter from dieing everytime anyone with a non stock vehicle comes in for parts.AZ treats their employees like crap and hire the cheapest people they can unless you know one of the upper-managment..... its a joke it is the walmart of auto parts

oh and 1 other thing usually you are forced to work 2-4 hours past your schedule at least a couple of times a week if you cant you will be written up.......

parts are starting to be better though i will give them that and the lifetime warranty really is nice

Notice one thing in the thread? NAPA and Carquest. One of the reasons for this is that they are both locally owned franchises, hardly any corporate stores left. Most of the franchise owners have been in the parts business for years and have worked their way up to ownership. They understand that customer service is what is going to keep them in business.
As for Advance, I've got a commercial account with my local store (as well as NAPA and Carquest) and am able to by-pass the front counter. Advance usually does a good job of hiring former techs and/or experienced parts pro's for the commercial counter.
Personally, I like to use the big block Mopar oil pan gasket test when dealing with a new parts store.

Me: "I need price and availability of an oil pan gasket for a big block Mopar"

Jamie at NAPA: "that'll run you..."

Jay at Carquest: "that'll be..."

Don at Advance (commercial pro): "your cost is...and I can have it here by 1:00"

dumbass at AZ: "what year, make and model is that?"
me: "pick one"
dumbass: "I need a year, make, and model to look it up on the computer..."

I have noticied, that NAPA and Carquest have been lowering the quality of their parts, and Advance has been carrying the better quality parts as an option.

My local CarQuest does a pretty good job here. Very helpfull and knowledgable, but closed on Sunday's. WTH. NAPA is the same just more $$$$. But you walk into AZ and it sound's and look's like a teen hip hop club that sells every carbon fiber or chrome interior piece you could imagine. :angry7: We do have a DA here that has a "Mopar Guy". They never have what I need in stock but I do like talking shop with him.....That was before I met you guy's. :-D

Oh yeah, the only Checkers around here sells burgers. They were pretty good back in my 20's.

I always go to NAPA first, but I was in once and the guy told me they never made a 1966 Barracuda because their system does not show one. I told him to look up the part for a 1966 Valiant and he asked me if I was sure the part would fit.

I stopped and gave him a history lesson. :angry1:

Or local AZ and Schucks are right next door to each other. I used to go into the AZ since they had a manager that was a Mopar gearhead and could get me anything. He had a 440 Dakota and a Durango with a 360. Since he moved on though I go to Schucks. They now have girls behind the counter at Autozone. No offense intended ladies, but most of you just don't know your cars like the guys do (There are always exceptions). Schucks seems to hire knowledgable guys who don't blink when you tell them you want something not for a specific car. Great return policy and they have a box of tools they'll loan you to do minor repairs yourself right in their parking lot!

You will be pleasantly surprised at how many parts NAPA has available for older cars. My Napa store still looks many parts up in the book. I don't like playing the 20 Questions game at Advance or Auto Zone because chances are their computer doesn't list the part by application for older cars. "Get in the book dummy". I also go to Car Quest and have pretty good luck. toolman

I agree with the Autozone rant, but it pains me to hear they are all re-tards, mostly being that I work there.I cann attest that all of the guys I work with there are goons, the only expeirence needed is oil changes, and air up tires an such.

They just need experience and training. toolman

Here in the 'Burg, we have another, smaller chain, Carquest. There is a id 40's lady at the one I go to who knows virtually all there is about cars. I was impressed with her knowledge.

I try, however, to go to NAPA as the quality of the parts they have seems so much better.

AZ and Advance Auto are just a pian in the ***, unless I need to dump used oil or just want a filter and some oil.
FF

Carquest is huge, man.... they seem to have better employees than AZ, but My local carquest had some jerks that work behind the desk... Their machine shop is pretty good though...

I am sick of some of the help that these places have. They know nothing about cars. You tell them that you need a tie rod end and they ask you where is it located on the car. They have no clue what a dart or a duster is. Ughhh. How do they get the job with no automotive experience. I don't care if Napa is a little more expensive. I am going there from now on. I went to Napa yesterday because I needed a new battery for the dart. I was blown away that the guy actually knew what an Abody was. Just have to vent.
Same up here, I am usually ready for the moronic questions these kids ask me. Try asking for SB dodge anything, depending on what year you say it's either out of stock /discontinued. Thats the key "year" . No one at these places has a clue about pt numbers vs. years and most SB /BB parts etc. This one clown couldn't figure out that a 75 Duster upper rad hose fit my 65 Dart..........guess he learned somthing new that day..........moron.

-
Back