Side exit exhaust

-

goldduster318

Overzealous Car Modifier
Reaction score
I'd like to see some pictures of side exit exhaust systems that any of you are running.

I need to convert my car to a side exit exhaust because of using the offset hangers when I swap to my 8 3/4 rear axle. I know you can get it snaked in there but its tight and I don't really want to mess with that or the stock gas tank. I'd be especially interested if someone is using an X-pipe with a 4-speed as well.

I can't do undercar dumps since they are illegal in pennsylvania.

Thanks!

You may want to look into the mufflers used on a Challenger T/A. Flow is U shaped and inlet outlet are on the same side to alow a gentle curve to exit in front of the rear tires,

Why not go under the housing??

IMG_6452.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

going under isn't going to help as the leaf springs have a ton of droop that isn't present in that suspension and then i still have to clear the leaf springs in the gas tank area, which is the main issue.

How about one like this?
c0161.jpg

Pypes makes a same side inlet/outlet. MVR506 but is only a 2.5 inlet/outlet it's there race pro series

How 'bout something like this? We had to go to a side-exit exhaust on the '68 Valiant our club built as our 2008 charity raffle car last year. Didn't have room to go to rear bumper since we used the RMS Street Lynx rear suspension setup.
2008Valiant400.jpg

2008Valiant400.jpg

Acutally, now that i have the axle out, rjsjea's photo gave me an idea. I may be able to cross the exhaust over the leaf spring and then behind the tire kind of like in that photo. One thing I did find out is that only has to do with the offset shackles is that offset shackles=5/8" front spring hangar bolt. Had to order new bushings as a result. Otherwise, its going fairly well.

Acutally, now that i have the axle out, rjsjea's photo gave me an idea.

I did notice the lack of leaf springs in that set up. Looks great under there. My Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust pipes cleared my springs well. But then again, that's not a side exhaust.

Those spin techs were cool. Something similar to the AAR Cuda mufflers via in and outlet points. Otherwise, your looking at a regular muffler alittle close to the header and a 45* or 90* pipe bend to xeit the gas in front of the tire.

I did notice the lack of leaf springs in that set up. Looks great under there. My Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust pipes cleared my springs well. But then again, that's not a side exhaust.

Those spin techs were cool. Something similar to the AAR Cuda mufflers via in and outlet points. Otherwise, your looking at a regular muffler alittle close to the header and a 45* or 90* pipe bend to xeit the gas in front of the tire.

Yeah, a guy could do that. What attracted me to the Spintech idea is ground clearance. The mufflers would mount in the factory location and tuck up to the floor. What I HAVEN'T figured out is how to get the actual outlets past my frame connectors without hanging low. One possible solution is oval tubing in that area.

AAR system is great if you want to lose 20HP - the "same side" inlet and exhaust muffler baffle system is no real friend to flow

- It was the trade off for having a "race car" look exhaust without the noise....

I bought some "same side exit" mufflers that should be here from summit by friday.

They're Dynomax Super Turbo in 2.5" for a decent price (61.95 ea). My exhaust is only 2" up till the mufflers right now and these are bigger...I will have to adapt...I also bought some 120 degree mandrel bends and some exhaust tips to get it out to the side.

I'll take some pics and make a video on how it sounds when I'm done.

they're Dynomax 17676. I actually looked up the flow numbers on Dynomax's website and they flow more than the standard type muffler by about 100 cfm. Seems strange. They also make the 17675 that is 2 1/4".

The 120 degree mandrel bends are Hedman 12081

Everything but the tips will be here today. I love Summit Racing.

Here's some mockup pictures. The front of the muffler will sit a bit higher than that as I'm using a small piece of pipe to hold it up to the stock exhaust. I would rather have the tips exit a bit further back but Its not too bad. I need to stop by the part stores and get some adapters to get it to the right size.

3-20-2009006.jpg

3-20-2009007.jpg

3-20-2009008.jpg

3-20-2009011.jpg

3-20-2009012.jpg

3-20-2009013.jpg

3-20-2009014.jpg

Have you fired it up yet? If so, how does it sound?

Looks great by the way:cheers:

j

How 'bout something like this? We had to go to a side-exit exhaust on the '68 Valiant our club built as our 2008 charity raffle car last year. Didn't have room to go to rear bumper since we used the RMS Street Lynx rear suspension setup.
View attachment 60132

you just didn't take it to the right exhaust guy. :)

this is the early RMS set up like yours was.

abodyjoeexhaust1.jpg

abodyjoeexhaust3.jpg

Pic0038.jpg

on thge side exhaust, personally i don't usually like it. always seems to sound funny. only way i would do it is with aar/ta style mufflers

my mufflers pretty much are T/A or AAR style...

Here's the finished product
3-24-2009001.jpg

3-24-2009003.jpg

3-24-2009004.jpg

3-24-2009005.jpg

and finally, CRANK IT UP! (I think my floats are still set too high...the rears were real high and fuel was dribbling out of the boosters at idle, so now I need to change the oil)

It sounds a lot better than it used to when I had Summit Turbo Mufflers on it.

after all that work,,,side exit not legall in PA either if you have a back seat,,,,but what does legall meen??? lol

-
Back