Sigh...another Barracuda slips off the hook

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
So I had to share this because it seems to happen to me pretty frequently. Let me provide what I know:

1970 Barracuda
Looked fairly complete
Car ran (assume 383) not sure if NOM
Auto with console
Interior looked fairly complete (though mice had been snacking)
Raised letter plates from late 80's (not sure when registered last)

At any rate jump on the phone to call the tow yard with a less than stellar reputation. Voicemail after voicemail. I am trying to get a live person to express interest and to and coordinate a time for a quick inspection (though I was going to have cash in hand on this for sure). I would not pony up cash without putting eyes on it, just to have a seller hold a car to get a chance at an inspection.

Finally get a guy on the phone. Told me I was 15 mins behind and guy went to get a cashiers check....if I could have only gotten him on the phone when I called about it any of the previous five times...

Pics:

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Asking price - $8000.

Seemed good for a complete 70 that runs. Intent was to put some time in the drivetrain slap some Rallye wheels on it that I have and drive while fixing cosmetics.

I've been kicking rocks on this one for almost a week. Hoping sharing will bring out some stories from other members to make me feel better. The car was in the Westminster area. Not sure where it went, but I assume somewhere close.

Looks like runaway inflation. Not sure what the new owner has done in the last month or so to add 8.5k in value. I offered him the full 8k and $500 bucks for a finders fee and detailing. Doubtful at best he'll bite and the car is still in the same town. Looks like all he replaced was some upholstery and seat buns. You be the judge.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3622397368.html

Looks like runaway inflation. Not sure what the new owner has done in the last month or so to add 8.5k in value. I offered him the full 8k and $500 bucks for a finders fee and detailing. Doubtful at best he'll the car is still in the same town.

if your doubting what he has done, looks like he's put all new interior in it as well as gave it a major cleaning! as well as brand new carburator

but that car is still not worth 16,500 maybe 12k

Check out that shifter!! Is that correct for a 70?? I think NOT!!! Must've been done when they dropped in the 383, as it is a 318 car!! Geof

I know it is his car, his price. I just wish folks would be realistic. If you added 8.5k in value I have no issue paying for it. In this case I bumped my offer to 9 to include the battery and carb.

16K for a 318 Barracuda that needs a total rewire before you drive it to a restoration shop and is missing the unilug inserts? I'm looking at a $40-50K restoration bill on this lipsticked pig. Be glad it is someone else's problem. Try to find out what the guy is smoking. I want some of that....

Looks like runaway inflation. Not sure what the new owner has done in the last month or so to add 8.5k in value. I offered him the full 8k and $500 bucks for a finders fee and detailing. Doubtful at best he'll bite and the car is still in the same town.

I see some things that would have cost more than you are offering. It is a shame that it went to a flipper but it did so either step up to the plate with a decent offer or forget about it and move on.

Like I said its fine. It would have been a fun driver/weekend tinkerer at $8k. Barrett Jackson fever strikes again. I just tossed out a lowball knowing it is a bridge too far.

Maybe it is a Cuda , i see it has the the rear valance for one also.

BH23G0E111695

Make B = Plymouth Barracuda
Price Class H = High
Body Type 23 = 2 Door Hardtop
Drive Train G = 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Model Year 0 = 1970
Assembly Plant E = Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sequence Number 111695 = 11694th Vehicle

Can I just admit to being a total noob and not knowing that E-bodies were assembled in California!

Learn something every day. :) I love this site.

I probably would have gone down there and slept on his door step if I wanted it that badly. My .02.

What a shame, that was a solid car to begin a restoration on. I just don't understand why the guy would put a new interior kit in without cleaning the console and steering column? It makes it look like an obvious flip. At this point the car is out of reach to most people and won't be sold until he comes down about $5k. Like the above poster said, it's a pig with lipstick at this point and not worth the trouble anymore.

If it makes you feel any better, there has been a convertible 67 Barracuda on my local craigslist for $3800. It's been on there for at least a few years. Started at $4500 and slowly worked down to $3800. Well it looks like this guy picked it up and is immediately trying to flip it for $10k. Good luck with that. If you search "Barracuda" on the Sacramento craigslist, you can see people arguing about it every 2 or 3 posts.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3626583346.html

I have never seen a Barracuda ever having a big block , only in the cuda/ . Prob 318 or slant six
My 1970 Grand Coupe Barracuda was a 383 2 barrel auto

Buddy has 1970 Grand Coupe 383 4 barrel auto BOTH FACTORY BIG BLOCK BARRACUDA

-
Back