Silv-O-Lite Pistons Good or Bad?

-

fastcorgigarage

Reaction score
Has anyone used any pistons made by Silv-O-Lite? I found them on ebay which I don't normally use in the first place. I haven't heard of them before but they are the only brand I have found so far in an oversized bore for under $500 a set.

They are considered the industry standard in stock replacement pistons. Probably the best. They are made by the same company that makes the Keith Black pistons. United Engine and Machine. I've used a ton of them.

They are considered the industry standard in stock replacement pistons. Probably the best. They are made by the same company that makes the Keith Black pistons. United Engine and Machine. I've used a ton of them.
Thank you for the input. I'm trying to get a 64 Dart back on the road but the more I look into parts the more I start to consider looking into 318 or 360 transplant.

I understand. The 64 can certainly fit a V8 too.

I understand. The 64 can certainly fit a V8 too.
I have heard from a few people that it is easy to swap a /6 with a V8, but I have heard from more people saying it is a major hassle. I have been considering doing it due to the ease of finding parts and the parts are generally cheaper, but I want to be able to keep the 904 pushbutton trans and I have been told by numerous people that my trans cant be paired to a V8.

You just have to make your own mind up as to what you want to do and do it. It's that simple. There are several companies that make the parts to make that swap happen. Not like you have to do any custom fab work so I don't know what those other people are bitchin about.

You just have to make your own mind up as to what you want to do and do it. It's that simple. There are several companies that make the parts to make that swap happen. Not like you have to do any custom fab work so I don't know what those other people are bitchin about.
Do you have any links to the companies that sell the swap kits? The biggest part of doing the swap for me would be if I can still use my pushbutton trans with a stock 318 or 360. As long as I can do that I would do the swap in a damn heartbeat. I am quickly getting over the whole slant sickness virus!

I "think" you'll find that they are Cast pistons,NOT Forged !! But then it depends what you intend to do as far as the build ! I actually built /6 #2 with MP Cast pistons and shaved the head .090 and was totally satisfied !!

Do you have any links to the companies that sell the swap kits? The biggest part of doing the swap for me would be if I can still use my pushbutton trans with a stock 318 or 360. As long as I can do that I would do the swap in a damn heartbeat. I am quickly getting over the whole slant sickness virus!

You'll have to get an early cable shift V8 transmission, but they are around.

Mounts:

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/63.66aBody.html#head1

Headers:

http://laysons.com/Catalog.cfm?nCatID=2856&nModelID=5&nModelYear=1964

Schumacher also sells new cables for the early cable shifted transmissions.

The swap can be done. It takes some money to do it like you are wanting to, but it will certainly be nice.

I "think" you'll find that they are Cast pistons,NOT Forged !! But then it depends what you intend to do as far as the build ! I actually built /6 #2 with MP Cast pistons and shaved the head .090 and was totally satisfied !!

I didn't get the impression he thought they were forged.

RustyRatRod thank you for the help! I like the link to the company that makes the kit to do the engine swap without replacing the k member. I have made up my mind now and so long slant 6. I'm sure I can part out my current motor and trans to pay for the everything I need minus the new v8 motor.

Well, there are some specialty pieces involved. You'll need that adapter that adapts the later model crank to the early converter. CharlieS has those. And of course, you;ll have to find a V8 cable shifted transmission. But the swap is pretty straight forward. I did my 65 Valiant years ago. I installed a later transmission though. Dougs also has headers too. They are long tube and will probably produce more torque. I had them on my 65. They installed easily and fit very well.

Well, there are some specialty pieces involved. You'll need that adapter that adapts the later model crank to the early converter. CharlieS has those. And of course, you;ll have to find a V8 cable shifted transmission. But the swap is pretty straight forward. I did my 65 Valiant years ago. I installed a later transmission though. Dougs also has headers too. They are long tube and will probably produce more torque. I had them on my 65. They installed easily and fit very well.
I have already talked to CharlieS about the adapter and I will be ordering it this week since it is cheap. The trans may take some time to find but all things are possible to find with the help of the internet. lol

Has anyone used any pistons made by Silv-O-Lite? I found them on ebay which I don't normally use in the first place. I haven't heard of them before but they are the only brand I have found so far in an oversized bore for under $500 a set.

Silv-o-lite are fine for a stock or mild to medium performance rebuild. I don't know where you are looking for pistons, but if all you can find are $5oo, you're not looking in the right place. Summit has Sealed Power Cast pistons, in over size for between $66, and $84 per set. A forged race piston will cost about $500, but most builds don't require that.

PS: I might have a V-8 pushbutton trans. It would need rebuilding, if I have it.

EGGE has pistons, but they are a a specialty shop so the prices are probably higher than summit. 500 for cast slant pistons is absurd. Even 2.2 pistons can be made to fit if you have not bored it yet but that is another thread. I say keep the slant and get yourself a NOS carb from slantsixdan's stash. A new carb does wonders to an old motor even after a rebuild. My 81 mazda truck was a cranky ***** in the morning, new carb transformed her into a new running truck in any weather.

I know that we had a car run 9. 80s with a 300 horses of juice In her *** with them If that tells you anything.............Artie

haha, no a mild 440 but Im sure if you put enuf juice to her she will.and if you are running that fast your car must be working.but wen throwing that much to her is another ball game..good luck.....Artie:coffee2:

haha, no a mild 440 but Im sure if you put enuf juice to her she will.and if you are running that fast your car must be working.but wen throwing that much to her is another ball game..good luck.....Artie:coffee2:

I am a little over 200hp on my 170 motor. That's about 1.18 hp/cube. That on a 440 would be about a 500 shot. I am running a stock short block, factory cast pistons.

-
Back