Single Plane intake question

-

69413valiant

Reaction score
I just got off of the phone with Lunati and they do not recommend me running a single plane (mopar M1 ) intake for my new motor. The cam I want to run is a voodoo one Im running a set of ported big valve 906 heads, Crane roller rockers and the motor is 10.3 to 1 compression. Cam info is below. I have not ordered the cam yet. Im running a 727 with a 3500 stall and 4:10 gears. Any input on this would be great. Also this is a 440 motor

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/292
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 242/252
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .533/.552
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2500-6600

That car with the stall and gear should handle a single plane. Maybe a bit more torque with a duel down low but it should run nice with a single.

I agree ^^^, M1 with an 800+cfm Holley and it will put down the best numbers at the track. A Performer Rpm is a good intake and will give better vacuum,but with that cam vacuum will suck anyway. Or should I say suck less lol,....

I just got off of the phone with Lunati and they do not recommend me running a single plane (mopar M1 ) intake for my new motor. The cam I want to run is a voodoo one Im running a set of ported big valve 906 heads, Crane roller rockers and the motor is 10.3 to 1 compression. Cam info is below. I have not ordered the cam yet. Im running a 727 with a 3500 stall and 4:10 gears. Any input on this would be great. Also this is a 440 motor

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/292
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 242/252
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .533/.552
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2500-6600

I run the same cam specs in a MPP cam, 3500 convertor and 3:73 gears. I run the performer RPM intake. After some dyno play my engine builder thought a victor would be worth trying because it liked more plenum volume. He doesn't like the M1 intake though.

I'm running a 9:1 383 with ported eddy heads and m1. My cam is 254@ .050 and 525 lift. My engine screams to 7 k and wants more. The low end torgue is prop less than it could be but I'm very pleased with it.

That M1 is a big *** intake. I can see their concern.

These days, i'd probably recommend a dual plane like the RPM.

Back in my day, 70's to early 80's, i put single planes on many combo's i built. Mainly to kill some low end on the bigger torque engines. At that time, there was a street race around every corner, and i'd rather walk out and hook vs smoking the tires and watching a cars tail lights with 100hp less drive away from me. I won a lot of races with that theory.

This is a different time and if you're gonna' be regular driving quite a bit, the dual plane will give better warm up's and drivability. If you're using the car for limited local driving and hot rodding, the single may work for you.

You might look at a Holley "Street Dominator" 300-14 also if you decide to go single plane.

Good Luck...it's gonna' be a fast car regardless.

I must be the exception to the rule but, I have had an M1 on my 440 for 12 years now. I had the car dyno'd when it was just a .030 over 440 with stock 906 2.08/1.74 heads, a .484 MP cam and M1 with 800 Holley and it made 511ft. lbs. at the tires. I just finished a slight rebuild where I changed the cam to a solid MP .557 and put on stock edelbrock heads and Proparts headers. This car is an absolute beast now! I have never even questioned my 16 year old mind picking that M1 twelve years ago. The car is a 3200lb 73 Duster with a Dana and 3.73 gears, manual 727 and 3500 converter.

I actually have a performer rpm on my 413 now but it's a low compression motor. I ran a m1 on a 340 and it made great power. I'm on the fence on this one. I just don't want to over cam the motor

I've gone both ways and had better luck and overall performance using the Performer RPM but mostly because trying to tune the single plane can be a PITA. I guess that what it comes down to is tunability and the tuners ability. Single planes can induce some real nasty off idle stumbles (when you stomp her) and the following flame thrower effects.

What ever became of this intake dilema?

-
Back