single stage vs base coat clear

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I have purchased the single stage paint for my 65 Barracuda. Almost everyone I have spoken with tell me I should use Base coat clear coat. The car will be a driver who will frequent some car shows and club rides. Is the difference really that great. I have time limitations and was trying to do the best I could myself. I'm not looking for a show car but really would like it to look good.
Any advise from you guys who have painted your cars. My car will be out on nice sunny days and will live in a garage.
Thanks for your advise!

Most guys would argue that bc/cc is easier/better, but I like the look of single stage. It just seems more period correct.

a good painter can shoot show quality with single shot paints and the solids can be cut and buffed,although some like like a fine orange peel on an original style resto
...single stages seem to leave a better 'wet' look when done right!

my car with single stage paint. it has a tad of orange peel which i am ok with.

i was not gonna paint and run in primer but while getting supplies this gallon came available because the guy never picked it up. Only thing i recommend is getting enough as on gallon was not enough and it went on thin so no room for error or any kind of wet sanding but it goes on super shiny.

and they gave me the winter time hardener and it was summer so it was drying way to fast but other than that i love my car and my paint.

check out the rest of my build. i am very proud of the job on my car so far

View attachment p14.jpg

View attachment p15.jpg

View attachment p16.jpg

View attachment p18.jpg

View attachment p23.jpg

View attachment a5.jpg

View attachment a8.jpg

View attachment a10.jpg

View attachment a1.jpg

View attachment p30.jpg

I'm going single stage. It was good enough back then so good enough today.

If your watch Graveyard Cars, the man says use BC/CC for metallic and use single stage for solids to get the best results.

Thanks Guys! 1970 Dart, that looks awesome. I think the reason I ordered the single stage was a friend who is a painter told me it would look more original and went on thicker than base coat which may cover better. Have the paint in hand, so that's what I will use. I was curious what you guy's thought and were using. If it doesn't turn out well, I'm doing this at home, so I can shoot it again. Hope to spray some interior parts Monday if the weather is clear.

The shop that just finished body and paint on my 73 Duster did go to bare metal, prime, paint and clear. Sorry for the quality of the picture as there is post cure shop dust on the car. To my liking the finish, using a year-correct color, may be superior; but I certainly paid more than had I had the skill to paint it myself with a single stage.

Your car looks very nice to me (the 70 Dart)...

Dennis

View attachment driver side paint 10%.jpg

If your watch Graveyard Cars, the man says use BC/CC for metallic and use single stage for solids to get the best results.

Lmao that show is a joke, imo
I stopped watching it, ok now back on topic

Like mentioned above you can get just a good a finish with single stage as you can with bc/cc all depends on the prep, the body work and the painter and how well it is flat sanded and buffed

I have used both and found that as a novice painter spraying in the garage, the single stage was easier to use (no wet sanding or buffing required). I never did get the hang of putting the clear coat on without massive orange peel.

All depends on how the paint gun is set up, also the quality of paint gun makes a big difference,
When we painted my car my dad had a 200-300 matson spray gun that he has had for 15+years that uses only for clear, that being said spraying single stage is basically the same as spraying clear, at least to me it is

Also needle size and the spray gun head and pressure can make i difference as well

Spraying base coat you go slow
Spraying clear or single stage usually a lot faster as it is wet as soon as you pass over the surface

I have new guns and understand the best painter in the world will not have a good finish if the body work isn't done properly. This is one of the reasons I have been on this project for so long. I was told it would be easier to spray single stage for someone doing this at home. kelleherdl your car looks awesome! I can hardly wait to post some pics of mine when I have time to finish it.
Thanks so much for you advice.

It's near impossible to wet sand and buff a single stage metalic without out it break coating. So if your painting in less than ideal conditions I would go bc/cc so you can do some cleanup on it.

It's near impossible to wet sand and buff a single stage metalic without out it break coating. So if your painting in less than ideal conditions I would go bc/cc so you can do some cleanup on it.

Oh yeah no doubt. Solid color single stage is fine metallic or pearl bc/cc for sure

I'm going single stage. It was good enough back then so good enough today.

This sounds logical to me, but is the single stage you get now the same as what they were using originally? A lot of these cars ( including mine) are metallic. So they used single stage metallic, yet many people recommend against it. I used it on the engine bay and it looked decent. Not trying to make a show car. Is there any reason todays single stage, even metalic would look any worse than the original? what happens if you sand/buff it? Also how does 'base' differ from 'single' stage? Could you sand the single stage and shoot clear over it?

I'm gonna shoot my engine bay with single stage, and maybe some wheels or the trunk inside with it. Then I'm gonna let my body guy do BC/CC on the exterior. Its just easier for me to do single stage at home myself since I am a novice painter.

bc/cc was invented for fast production where actual paint knowledge is not necessary. Single stage painting actually requires that you know something about what you're doing.

A chimp could be trained to bc/cc. That's the simple truth of it.

My dad and I always used the BC/CC. I have no experience on the single stage. But no matter what paint you use, it is only going to look as good as your body work/prep lets it.

I can say that the BC/CC has held up extremely well on my 68.

Single Stage here, Correct r6 red rubbed out a little. I get compliments all the time. It has a bolder look in my opinion. But clear has definite advantages also

Attachments

• dartpic.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 410
  • 10923287_10204581753642673_4896971260753609321_n.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 397
bc/cc was invented for fast production where actual paint knowledge is not necessary. Single stage painting actually requires that you know something about what you're doing.

A chimp could be trained to bc/cc. That's the simple truth of it.

Seriously?
:violent1:

If you can spray single stage you can spray clear and vise versa, all bout experience

Wow Doug Swinger 340. That red looks awesome. I hope to spray some interior parts this Monday, weather permitting. If it turns out good, I'll progress to the exterior in the next few weeks. I all else fails, I plan on retiring on a few months and will do it all then.
I just had time to watch the Eastwood video. I like what he said. My car isn't a metallic and although the single stage may not be as protective, my car will live a sheltered life. Sunny day drives, car shows and a garage to protect her. I think I'm ready to do some painting!

are the sparkles in metallic paint aluminum dust?Is that why you can't cut and polish single stage,because your going to expose and dull the aluminum metallic dust?
...cutting and polishing clear coat never hits the color.

More or less. When you wet sand or buff a single stage metallic you can easily remove the top layer of paint, which is usually where the paint usually gets that metallic look from. So you end up with blotches of slightly different looking paint.

-
Back