Sitting here watching racing and thinking about how crazy this game has gotten

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My mind was wondering, maybe half sulking about another second round lose. I probably should sit back and at 68 reevaluate my racing program. First off in 48 years I have never double entered a race and in todays game that’s almost a necessity. Here’s the money that guys like me are spending. 990.00 to double enter this race. If they lose 1st round they will buyback both entries if needed and yes it’s often needed. That’s 150.00 each so it could be 300.00 extra per day times 3 days. Thursdays gamblers race is 100.00. Friday’s 64 race is 100.00 or 150.00. Saturday’s 128 race is 100.00. Watching these guys run back and forth to the lanes wears me out but these are the guys going rounds, getting some nice round money at times, or possibly winning or making it to the split. I can’t remember a single entry winning one of these races in a long long time. I’m not healthy enough to play the game but not playing has a price too. It’s hard to stay focused for 3 plus hours while guys are getting track time and you are on standby. I know the promoters have to have it but it’s almost like buying the win. Next months norwalks entry is 625.00 so times two plus again the 150.00 buybacks. John might have to cut back on some of these trips and focus more on local and Mopar based events.

I see your time slips and wish I could kick the @$$ that you do. Also, our track is gone and my car is nowhere close to back together. I definitely understand the investment aspect, and the frustrations. I’m hopeful that your knee replacements, and maybe a couple more W’s, will make this fun for you again (and maybe some cooler weather will help too). My best to you on your season!!!

Sounds to me like you need to buy the track. That's who's makin all the money.

My mind was wondering, maybe half sulking about another second round lose. I probably should sit back and at 68 reevaluate my racing program. First off in 48 years I have never double entered a race and in todays game that’s almost a necessity. Here’s the money that guys like me are spending. 990.00 to double enter this race. If they lose 1st round they will buyback both entries if needed and yes it’s often needed. That’s 150.00 each so it could be 300.00 extra per day times 3 days. Thursdays gamblers race is 100.00. Friday’s 64 race is 100.00 or 150.00. Saturday’s 128 race is 100.00. Watching these guys run back and forth to the lanes wears me out but these are the guys going rounds, getting some nice round money at times, or possibly winning or making it to the split. I can’t remember a single entry winning one of these races in a long long time. I’m not healthy enough to play the game but not playing has a price too. It’s hard to stay focused for 3 plus hours while guys are getting track time and you are on standby. I know the promoters have to have it but it’s almost like buying the win. Next months norwalks entry is 625.00 so times two plus again the 150.00 buybacks. John might have to cut back on some of these trips and focus more on local and Mopar based events.
Blame Bidenomics, that’s where most of it started. (Old timer, (Quaker City back in 70’s).

Blame Bidenomics, that’s where most of it started. (Old timer, (Quaker City back in 70’s).
there is an instruction manual to this site. As much as many of us may agree or disagree, it’s a bad habit to get into on your first day. Go to N&P if you wish to express anything that doesn’t have to do with hot roddin and cats.

Mic drop

there is an instruction manual to this site. As much as many of us may agree or disagree, it’s a bad habit to get into on your first day. Go to N&P if you wish to express anything that doesn’t have to do with hot roddin and cats.

Mic drop
Sorry about that, 10k posts on bbodies & forgot political forum.(oldbee on there)

Double entering big money races has been going on a long time. It’s just only gotten more popular, as has bracket racing in general. I’m half John’s age but still been involved in the sport since I was a kid. I’m shocked at how many people my age and younger still join the sport every year. And since big money bracket racing started booming, double entry became the way to the winner circle. With alcohol fed engines, high amp alternators, tranny coolers, etc, you can push a car pretty far as long as your wallet can handle it and your body can handle hustling like that all the time. I usually save double entering for the fall Halloween race or an early spring race when it’s much cooler out. Just personal preference. I try to keep racing program to points races at local track or an out of town track (3-4 hours) that pays good on a points day. You can’t double in one class, only if you’re running one entry in box and one in no box.

I like your plan John. I know this season is different for me with the baby and a broken car, but next year I know my plan. Local races and mopar races.

I never ever liked buy backs unless someone had a car I wanted to make a pass in and they went out.

I’d buy back in to make a pass.

I’m not sure how I feel about double entries.

On the surface I suppose it’s ok. I used to ride two classes in motocross but I quit that after I got stuck in back to back motos and there something like 22 gate drops. And I was about moto’s 19 and 20.

So I sat and sat and sat and then back to back motos and sit some more.

I was in my early 40’s and didn’t know I had RA back then. I didn’t do it again because I stoved ip so bad between motos I could barely start the bike for moto 3.

After that moto I rode back to the trailer and loaded up. I could barely drive home.

I never did that again.

In a car it’s not so bad but you’d still probably run into times where you’d be holding up the program to get your run in.

I for sure hate doing that. Or waiting while it’s being done.

I don't run big money events because frankly I am not good enough but I have bought back and went rounds . At a small Mopar race a few years ago I was running trophy with my pick up and second round was first round all over again as everybody bought back ( I didn't have to ) I went red in the final to a buyback racer. At another Mopar race many years ago I beat a guy first round and again in the semis as he bought back. ( I runner upped ). I was talking to a well known very good bracket racer recently and Congratulated him on his latest big Win and he told me what it costs in entries and double entries and I couldn't believe it ! When you Win $10 to 20, 000 I guess its worth it!

I never really cared for bracket racing.
The whole “letting off” thing never appealed to me.
As such, I guess that turned me into a career “test n tuner”.

I perfectly happy going to the track and making 4-6 tnt hits, hanging out at the track, and calling it a day.

I think the 2016 version of my car could have been a player at a race like this. Right converter had us at 1.34 60ft everywhere. Car was soooo predictable. It was pretty much up to me…..

And just to prove me wrong Cameron Atkins goes on to win last night on a single entry. But he is a special breed of driver. I was talking to him yesterday and I think he said his race he’s heading to this coming weekend pays 225,000.00 to win.

Just my opinion and I'll probably get flamed for it, but double entries and buybacks are 2 of the stupidest ideas in drag racing, next to splitting the purse in the final because you're afraid of losing... LMAO the whole buyback scheme was dreamed up by sore losers with more money than brains, among other things. It use to be about competition, sportsmanship and comradery, now it's all ego driven and I have more money than the other guy syndrome... And yet guys will do both and complain about it. The only person who is making out is the track owner/promoter. Round losers should be able to buy into a losers race/bracket if they so chose, not back into a race they just lost. How can anyone with any self respect be proud of buying back into a race they just lost???? If big money "winning" is your only goal it's a pathetic one at best. Anyone who double enters should be forced to race themselves in the first round, see how well that works out for them and how proud they will be for beating themselves.... Lol

It took me a long time, probably only about 10 years ago, to figure out that drag racing is just a hobby, and not anything I would ever even break even at.
Since I acquired that mindset, I have had more fun racing than I ever have.
I no longer get pissed when I lose, like I used to, to the point of pretty much being an *** about it. I am still ultra competitive, but I have gotten over the issues I had with disappointment losing.
I know I have physical liabilities ( blind in my left eye) and for the last 10-12 years I have strictly footbraked.
So I get more pleasure going rounds against weekly points racers with buttons. Winning with a knife at a gunfight is enough now to sate me…lol
I enjoy racing as much as I ever have, but getting stuff around isn’t as easy as it once was.
So I concentrate on Mopar type events and local racing.
Big dollar events just have zero interest to me. They are a terrible investment. I know for me it’s a pipe dream consistently beating those guys enough to get a worthwhile check. So I don’t. More fun racing with local and Mopar friends.

No prep or gasser crowd for me....just more exciting and nostalgic for gasser crowd

I’m only 63 and I’m cutting the rest of my race schedule this season in half. I can’t imagine how I’d be able to do what you do when I’m 68. Nothing but respect for you my friend.

Just my opinion and I'll probably get flamed for it, but double entries and buybacks are 2 of the stupidest ideas in drag racing, next to splitting the purse in the final because you're afraid of losing... LMAO the whole buyback scheme was dreamed up by sore losers with more money than brains, among other things. It use to be about competition, sportsmanship and comradery, now it's all ego driven and I have more money than the other guy syndrome... And yet guys will do both and complain about it. The only person who is making out is the track owner/promoter. Round losers should be able to buy into a losers race/bracket if they so chose, not back into a race they just lost. How can anyone with any self respect be proud of buying back into a race they just lost???? If big money "winning" is your only goal it's a pathetic one at best. Anyone who double enters should be forced to race themselves in the first round, see how well that works out for them and how proud they will be for beating themselves.... Lol
i agree with you. there has to be a winner and a loser, that's it. i don't buy back, maybe i'm old fashioned or something.

i agree with you. there has to be a winner and a loser, that's it. i don't buy back, maybe i'm old fashioned or something.

It’s business, nothing more, nothing less.
Guys pay the money to get to the track enter a race, fuel, etc, etc.
Get one time trial, usually. Lose first round, you’re done.
Were it not for the buyback it most definately would effect participation, and the money the track takes in to pay the bills.
Take a look at what % of guys buy back that lose. It’s high. At my track if you lose and have to buy back, your points stop. So there is that penalty.
Like I always say, I paid the money to race, I might as well race now that I am here.
I am 68 like John is, very soon to be 69. Once I make the effort to get somewhere, I am friggin racing as much as I can.

Having played this game since hand written time slips, no scoreboards, no reaction times, no buybacks, no double entries, 250.00 to win races so changes had to be made to support the tracks. We as racers at keystone paid 2.50 extra to buy and have Maple Groves old scoreboards installed. I was a test n tuner more years ago when I street raced. I had to if I wanted to keep winning. Now I just don’t do it. When I built and installed this engine 4 years ago I put a timing light on it and set the timing. I took a brand new carb out of the box and leaned it out three jet sizes, I set the valves a .011 cold and continue to do so. My tune hasn’t changed since that start up. Our track (Keystone) tried a second chance low paying race and support was so low it was discontinued. For 30.00 we have a buyback round where losers race the loser for a chance to get back into second round. I
Love competition and someone dialed in the opposite lane so for 30.00 I’m trying for the 1000.00 pot again. Running a track is not cheap and buybacks support your local track bigtime.

Running a track is not cheap and buybacks support your local track bigtime.
Thank you for supporting your local tracks, ours just got back up and running after a long layoff.
Spokane Raceway will once again be a premier track.

-
Back