Sixpack on a 318 engine ?

-
If you want to spend the money, you can make anything "perform". When I bought my 340 cuda in '69, did I want a 318 and have to build it or did I want a 340 that was already factory built with all of the suspension parts included? Doesn't make you a "cultist", it's common sense.

There should be no reason you can't put a 6 pack on a decent (hp) 318, there's only a 12-22 cid difference depending on overbore over a stock 340 and a stock 340 was a pretty mild and relatively small engine anyways, No reason a 300-400+ hp 318 can't handle it, I'd bet a similar built 273 could also.

It more about the power of the engine (hp=airflow=cid x rpm) then displacement.

Never understood why folks look down on a 318. If a 302 ford and 327 Chevy can make power why not a 318? Yes it has smaller heads (in most situations) Low compression (unless you got an early one) and probably has a 2 barrel intake and shitty exhaust manifolds (performance wise) but rebuild it and as said many time will make power, just at a higher RPM than the 340 and 360.

Put the 6 pack on, be happy, if its functional.
Totally agree.

If you look at Chev's performance 302/327/350 all built pretty much with the same specs, they made basically the same power curves just at different rpms. And if you geared each engine to be operating in there powerband at any given speed each would be putting down similar hp and torque to the ground.

K, i do have a question and this is just a question not an attack.... a 318 is pistons and a crank, if you put on good heads/cam/springs that's the same as you do on any motor to spin rpm, what is holding a 318 back from high rpm compared to a 340 if cam/heads/springs are equal?
Bore size will have an effect, on 2.02" or small valves probably not gonna make huge difference especially at the power levels (cfms) most are trying to get out of a 318 250-400 hp

What about the port inlet size mismatch with the 318 heads? Assuming the OP doesn't put 360 heads on it.

Bore size will have an effect, on 2.02" or small valves probably not gonna make huge difference especially at the power levels (cfms) most are trying to get out of a 318 250-400 hp
yup, was mainly talking RPM though.. Dart had said the 318 wasn't made for RPM... which is true but doesn't mean it can't pull RPM

yup, was mainly talking RPM though.. Dart had said the 318 wasn't made for RPM... which is true but doesn't mean it can't pull RPM
Wasn't made for rpm cause they put a 273 2bbl top end on it, no reason you shouldn't be able to build a 8500rpm monster if you want, the bore is only slightly smaller but also is feeding less displacement.

318 wasn't "made" to turn rpms because it didn't get the "good parts" like a 340. I've seen 318's turn 7200 rpms for years with stock bottom end. 340's havent' been made for over 50 years, folks are working with what they have or what they can get. It's ridiculous that we can't get past that 340's are no longer in the junkyards for 75 bucks and 318's swap cams and heads and pistons just like ANY other engine being built, including the 340's. Yes, I'd rather have the 340, but no, I'm not paying the "340" tax.

318 wasn't "made" to turn rpms because it didn't get the "good parts" like a 340. I've seen 318's turn 7200 rpms for years with stock bottom end. 340's havent' been made for over 50 years, folks are working with what they have or what they can get. It's ridiculous that we can't get past that 340's are no longer in the junkyards for 75 bucks and 318's swap cams and heads and pistons just like ANY other engine being built, including the 340's. Yes, I'd rather have the 340, but no, I'm not paying the "340" tax.
I bet if the factory made a performance version of the 318 during the muscle car era we wouldn't be having these discussions. For some reason people have a problem not seeing an engine as a performance engine if there was not a factory one.

I bet if the factory made a performance version of the 318 during the muscle car era we wouldn't be having these discussions. For some reason people have a problem not seeing and engine as a performance engine if there was not a factory one.
It's like, 340's were limited in years of production, and considering only a few produced, and haven't been produced in over 50 years, and folks throw it out there like they are in every junk yard for 100 bucks in running condition...... lol

It's like, 340's were limited in years of production, and considering only a few produced, and haven't been produced in over 50 years, and folks throw it out there like they are in every junk yard for 100 bucks in running condition...... lol
Here in Canada people asking $1500-2500 for just a rusty 340 block, a complete engine in need of a rebuild $3000+.

and for what 3.3% bigger bore diameter.

I'll take a 3.3% increase in bore size every day of the week and all day Sunday.

Until the world is re-educated about displacement and RPM you will see guys building stuff with inverted power curves and calling that "magic".

I'll take a 3.3% increase in bore size every day of the week and all day Sunday.
I technically agree, if cost and availability was no object.
Until the world is re-educated about displacement and RPM you will see guys building stuff with inverted power curves and calling that "magic".
And I agree again technically, I see displacement as cfm (cid x rpm x ve%) who cares what an turned off engine displaces what's important how much air is it displacing over time. But seems most don't want to run more than 5500-6000 peak hp rpm on the street and most don't seem to want run deeper than 3.55 which basically leaves more cid to make power at 5500-6000 rpms.

I had one in a 65 barracuda. If you use the factory air cleaner it will hit structural supports of the hood. At least on a 65 it did.

70355140919__CD2A4AE6-5B59-4D39-B7F4-9D47FF64E2E0.jpeg

70346375049__B74C4098-12B6-41FA-92FE-5CDFE3442813.jpeg

Also, i read somewhere it would hit the hood torsion bars so I removed them. But it ended up clearing them fine.

It sounds like it would be a pain on the a-body.... i should put it on my b-body to save you the headaches :)

-
Back