Slant 6 4bbl Carb Selection

-

SpriceyStuff

Reaction score
Hey guys. I want to do a performance slant six build, and I originally wanted to do a triple Weber setup. Since I don’t have the cash and Redline hasn’t been able to resume manufacture of the manifold, I’ve decided to cut my losses and just go for the cheaper 4bbl route. I’ve found a manifold that’s in stock, but I want some recommendations for what carb to put on it. I’ve bought a bigger cam, and I’m planning a set of 3-2-1 headers for the exhaust. How many cfm can I make use of? I don’t wanna blast all my cash away on a bigger carb than I can actually use, but I also don’t wanna miss out on any gains by going smaller than I can. What do you guys think?

IMG_7086.jpeg

IMG_7085.png

I'm with Charrlie on this too. Ran the 500 on my cars,3 of them both on and off the track.
Though I am not a fan of Holley,some run the 390. I did and was not satisfied,switched to the 500.
On my last Slant I ran a 600 Edelbrock because I had one. Worked really well but I prefer the 500 only because of better throttle response.

IMG_1932.jpg

I'm with Charrlie on this too. Ran the 500 on my cars,3 of them both on and off the track.
Though I am not a fan of Holley,some run the 390. I did and was not satisfied,switched to the 500.
On my last Slant I ran a 600 Edelbrock because I had one. Worked really well but I prefer the 500 only because of better throttle response.

View attachment 1716160003
How difficult is it to fit that onto the stock car? Are there issues with the choke and the throttle cable and all that?

How difficult is it to fit that onto the stock car? Are there issues with the choke and the throttle cable and all that?
Any swap to a non stock carb will require modifying the fuel line, choke, throttle cable, and transmission linkage if an automatic.
PS: Those Aussie Speed headers shown in the first post hang pretty low. I have them on my 66 Valiant 170, and would not drive on the road with them. They will have more road clearance on a 225 but still hang low. Also what year is your car? Those headers only fit up 1966 "A" body.

Everything that Charrlie stated.In the photo that was a old Clifford intake that mounts the carb sideways.
In this next photo is a Offenhauser intake that mounts the carb forward. Both ran the same but makes kick down tricky.
Either way a cable kickdown kit will work.Stock gas pedal cable works. Choke is electric.Both car pictured were manual shift.

IMG_0435.jpg

Everything that Charrlie stated.In the photo that was a old Clifford intake that mounts the carb sideways.
In this next photo is a Offenhauser intake that mounts the carb forward. Both ran the same but makes kick down tricky.
Either way a cable kickdown kit will work.Stock gas pedal cable works. Choke is electric.Both car pictured were manual shift.

View attachment 1716160143
I See. Mine is an auto, so that might suck. My kickdown is already a little wonky.

Any swap to a non stock carb will require modifying the fuel line, choke, throttle cable, and transmission linkage if an automatic.
PS: Those Aussie Speed headers shown in the first post hang pretty low. I have them on my 66 Valiant 170, and would not drive on the road with them. They will have more road clearance on a 225 but still hang low. Also what year is your car? Those headers only fit up 1966 "A" body.
Mine is a 74 Dart. Still an A body, how low are we talking?

View attachment 1716160143
Is this the cable you’re talking about?

IMG_7088.png

Mine is a 74 Dart. Still an A body, how low are we talking?
Now how will anybody but you know that? We don't know what height front tires you're gonna run. We don't know what ride height you're going to use. You will be better qualified to answer that than any of us.

Now how will anybody but you know that? We don't know what height front tires you're gonna run. We don't know what ride height you're going to use. You will be better qualified to answer that than any of us.
Well, I’m trying to stick as close to stock ride height as possible. I have stock size wheels and tires. Suspension is gonna be freshened up but not modified. I Just don’t have the physical part in hand to be able to judge that so I was hoping someone who has used it might be able to give me an idea here.

Contact AussieSpeed USA. They can answer your questions better than any of us here.

Okay. Secondary question. I got home and was able to examine the carb in my shed. It’s an edelbrock 1407, 650CFM. Is that a decent option or should I try to find a 500?

I'm running the Edelbrock AVS2 500. No issues so far, I like it.

Also, if headers and clearance are a concern, you might want to look at the Clifford Shorties instead, they will clear most anything.

DSCN1100.JPG

Okay. Secondary question. I got home and was able to examine the carb in my shed. It’s an edelbrock 1407, 650CFM. Is that a decent option or should I try to find a 500?
The 1407 is a 750.

I would honestly just buy a new Eddy AVS2 500 & be done with it. It will perform well and give room for more upgrades.

This is the combo waiting for the K6 v3.0...,
20230130_184856.jpg

570 Aluminum Street Avenger, but this version is going to be fairly hot this time.

-
Back