Slant 6 engine ignition timing stays retarded.

-
That's certainly food for thought, albeit a somewhat unpalatable set of options.

I don't see a damper(at least not my concept of a damper) on my slant. No place to put a timing tape. I have a group of pulleys. Is that the damper?
Damper is the also called the harmonic balancer. That's the circular weight with the TDC mark on it.

Since this is a change, compare the new to the old. In particular the distance from the mounting stud to the pickup center. Can't tell you why there might be a difference but there's only a few parts that could change the signal relative to the rotor tip and cap.
That's interesting and a great idea(I never would have thought of that). I'll do some measuring. That's why I don't rush to throw away the old parts. Thanks!

Damper is the also called the harmonic balancer. That's the circular weight with the TDC mark on it.
Mr. Mattax,
I dont have a weighted ring. I have a set of three(I think) V-pulleys with notches stamped in one of them. I'll share a picture later. They must act as a damper, I guess. Maybe the hub is rubber.

Do you own the Mattax crime show Dart?

The crankshaft pully is attached to a steel damper. The damper is steel with the outer portion (also steel) joined to the inner by a rubber ring.

The crankshaft pully is attached to a steel damper. The damper is steel with the outer portion (also steel) joined to the inner by a rubber ring.
Thanks for clarifying. I kinda thought that would be the case. Although, no good place to attach a timing tape to accurately identify TDC. I'm learning a lot about these slants...thanks to all.

Photo here, but he doesn't state what year.

On the slants, the ballancer has a v-belt groove in it. That's what I didn't remember.
1727014761183.png

That looks like my set up. It's sandwiched between two other pulleys so you can't see the "business" part of it. Sorry for my ignorance.....my 1st slant.

-
Back