slant 6 no start issues

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
ok im trying to get my 64 valiant to start picked up the car a year ago after it had been sitting since 1981. So far ive gone through the intire cooling system and also dropped the tank got fresh gas in it put on a clear fuel filter so i know its getting gas changed out the starter so it cranks good good battery with a charger. changed the cap rotor and wires checked the plugs ive filed the points but still no spark im stumped? could the coil just go bad? all the wires seem decent followed them all over the engine bay checking for a short/bare wires

Most likely points or condenser. Check with a meter or lamp that they are opening and closing. To do that put your lamp on the coil NEG terminal and turn on the key (to run). If the points are open, or IF THEY are so dirty and corroded that they are not conducting, the lamp will be bright. Bump the engine around to get them to close

MAKE SURE you have the test lamp on coil NEG and that it is actually wired to the DIST wire

On the other hand if the lamp is very dim, the points are closed, or something is shorted in the distributor. Bump the engine to get them to open.

Properly opening / closing points will "flash" a lamp bright / dim as you bump the engine around.

A system will not spark without a good condenser. There is no sure way to test them (without special equipment) other than replacement.

Obviously the above will not work if the system is not getting power, so a couple of more tests.

With key in "run" and with points closed you should have the following voltages

At the points (coil NEG), very low voltage, perhaps 1/2 volt. The less, the better

At coil + will vary, anywhere from perhaps 5--8 volts

At the "key" side of the ballast resistor, "same as battery" depending on battery charge. Better way to check this is to place on probe on "high" voltage side of ballast, and the other probe on battery pos post. You should read a VERY low voltage, the lower the better. More than .3V (three tenths of one volt) means you have voltage drop in the harness connections

Check your CRANKING voltage. Hook one probe to the coil +, and to ground, and crank the engine USING THE KEY. You should have very close to battery voltage. A better way is to leave one probe on the coil + terminal, and hook the other to battery positive, such as the starter relay battery stud. You should read a very low voltage, the lower the better when cranking

IT IS RARE but in some distributors (usually dual point) the breaker plate might not be grounded inside the distributor. Such distributors as Prestolite cast iron dual point had a little flex ground wire as the breaker plate was on a ball bearing.

Why you would have thought that using old points is OK is beyond me. Buy yourself some new points and condenser. In fact buy TWO sets so you have spares.

CRANKING

It is IMPORTANT to understand how Mopar ignition switches work. There are TWO ignition power sources, one ONLY for "run" and one ONLY in "start."

THIS MEANS that if you crank the engine by jumpering across the starter relay you get a WEAKER SPARK than when using the key, as the ballast resistor is still in the circuit. IF the battery is low, if the points are dirty, and when the engine is very cold, or in bad condition, this can easily make the difference between starting or not.

The ignition switch is actually SEVERAL switches in one "can."

Acessory

Ignition run (IGN1)

Start

The bypass circuit (IGN2)

"Ignition run" or IGN1 is traditionally dark blue and is hot ONLY in "run." It goes dead when the key is twisted to start. This supplies the ballast resistor, dash gauges, warning lamps, and the voltage regulator

"Bypass" is hot ONLY in start. Traditionally brown, it only goes one place.........from the ignition switch, through the bulkhead, to the coil + side of the ballast resistor.

thanks for the lesson i haven't touched points for 25 years ill check the meter readings tomorrow and give you an update

First thing to check is ballast resistor. Its only coins so replace it is more simple than test it.

pull the cap and make sure the rotor is spinning, had the same thing happen when i picked up my 73, gear was broken as they are plastic

Update put in new points and condenser I did initial gap to .020 opening I pulled the distributor and inspection on the drive gear all looked good old points were pitted checked the voltage to the coil it was only 4.59 volts but still no spark checked the ballist resistor which was very warm lucky I had another changed it out and boom it started kicking still won't stay running but it fires atleast I'm thinking after 32,years I'm pretty sure there is alot of corrision on about everything I'm guessing once spring hits and it warms up I'll really try to hit the road and get the dwell and timing set correctly thanks for all the help and advise

With the key "in run" the coil voltage WILL be low and the ballast WILL be warm/ hot!!!

start and run are different animals on a 4 prong ballast resistor, (2 circuit) or 2 prong (bypass is done by different wire in harness) just bypass the ballast resistor for up to 5 minutes, thatll determine if the BR is FU. ballast resistor heats up over time and increases resistance to lower the current/voltage to the coil, lengthening thier life. The points last longer as there is a lower flyback current through it. It gets HOT after a while thats why its big and made of ceramic.

Have you had any progress? I had a similar problem went through replaced coil then ballast then ecu then wires ended up needing a distributor and the timing tinkered with and she fired up, are you getting any spark at all? Before the ballast wast cranking at all. Does it just crank over now when you say kick do you mean just turn or is there combustion? Try running a jumper wire from the positive terminal on battery to the center of distributor have a buddy or someone crank it and at the same time touch the wire to the center of the cap where it would run in from coil if your distributor is good it should spark don't hold it there long but just a few seconds should give you some insight

-
Back