Slant 6 Oil Pumps the same

-

jysnflem

Reaction score
I have a 1964 slant that is running low on oil pressure and a new one cost 75.00 . The local pull yard has several slants of different years was thinking about pulling one. Would any year work? Has anyone ever changed a failing oil pump and noticed what was wrong with the pump? Thanks Jayson

all slant six oil pumps interchange. There are actually three different size pumps. The OEM pumps have a 5/8 long rotor, the aftermarket "stock" replacement pumps have a 7/8 thick rotor (so are actually high volumm), and the aftermarket "high volumm" pumps have a 1 inch or 1 1/8 rotor (don't remember which). Do not recommend using the "big pump", it puts too much strain on the gears, and it is not necessary.

I have some new replacement pumps for sale $35 shipped in the USA by UPS flat rate priority mail. If interested contact me at [email protected]

Thank you Charrlie_S, I will be in touch with you soon.
And again thank you for being here with us Chief :happy10:

the last slant 6 i had trouble with i took pump off cleaned it stretched the spring between 1/4+1/2 inch it had 55 psi with 30wt. hot 25 cold and ran it 3yrs. took two hrs. to do the work. just a thought id try to help.

If Charrlie runs out of pumps I have the same deal @ $35 shipped in the USA.

What does your valve train look like? Have you had your valve cover off. You could be gummed up and just need a good flush.
Frank

How do you know if the pump is going bad?
Odd timing for this thread.... for the last month or so I've noticed my oil dummy light staying on a little long at first start in the morning. and yes it has plenty of oil in it... :) ( i say month but been on vacation the last 2 weeks and haven't driven the duster)

How do you know if the pump is going bad?
Odd timing for this thread.... for the last month or so I've noticed my oil dummy light staying on a little long at first start in the morning. and yes it has plenty of oil in it... :) ( i say month but been on vacation the last 2 weeks and haven't driven the duster)

Check your sender connection. Wipe the sender down and see if it is leaking.

If it is a Fram **** can it! Never buy them. Do you have a stand pipe? Some do, some don't.

Get a Purolater, Wix, Napa etc.(Frankenstein voice) Fram bad!

Those things collapse on themselves. I had one on my Dart. Pulled it apart it was crap.

Thanks guys for the info. I purchased this car back in Feb as a future V-8 project car. I've been driving it here and there and haven't done anything to it since I bought it. Once in a while when it has sat for a few days and you start it the light would take a while to go out and you could here it rattling until it got oil. The other day while sitting at a light the oil light started to flicker. So when I got home I put a mech gage at the sender and it shows 10psi even when I increase the rpm. So I would like to keep her running un til I commit to the V-8 project and try a inexpensive fix. Thanks for the ideas. Jayson

1964SEDAN.jpg

Thanks, Hadn't thought about the filter ( I've changed the oil so freakin often because the oil looks dark after a week and I only drive about 12 miles a day. It does stay cleaner longer now though ). I did have to change the sender a while back due to a leak at the plastic/metal seam. Oh well I'll see if that fixes it. BTW only purolator filters since I've owned it.

Ok guys I tried swapping the oil filter today and that corrected the problem. Oil pressure is back up to 50 psi. Another save by FABO crew. Thanks Jayson.

Do y'all still sell the oil pumps? My cheap *** engine stand just turned over and broke my oil pump!! Right when I was fixing to set it in the car!!! Grrrrr!!!

-
Back